Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Orky HQ stuff. Fishy's Vision for the new codex!
Old 29 May 2006, 17:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Orky HQ stuff. Fishy's Vision for the new codex!

Ok this is kinda my vision of the orky HQ section when the codex FINALLY gets released. I havent done all the pts costs yet, but instead focused on the details of special rules and unit options.

Anyway, heres some stuff I cooked up. I think it might be a lil too strong right now (im not sure about allowing people to take giant boss retinues), but I'll let you guys give your opinions on it.

Ork Boss
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Big Boss[/td][td]40[/td][td]5[/td][td]2[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]8[/td][td]6+[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td] WarBoss[/td][td]55[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][td]same[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td] Warlord[/td][td]75[/td][td]5[/td][td]2[/td][td]5[/td][td]5[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]9[/td][td]6+[/td][/tr][/table]

Unit size: 1 Ork Boss

Weapons and Wargear: The Ork Boss may select weapons and wargear from ork armoury. He may choose “Boss/Nobz only” items if desired.

E’s Da Boss!:
You must always take one Boss in your army. The type of Boss depends on the size of the game

Up to 500pts-Big Boss
500-1500pts- Big Boss or Warboss
1500-2000pts-Warboss or Warlord
Over 2000pts- Warlord

Retinue:
A Boss will often be accompanied into battle by a retinue of his biggest and best warriors. He may be accompanied by a “Boss’ Retinue” if desired. The Boss may not leave the bodyguard during the game.

Boss’ Retinue

The retinue may consist of any one of the mobs listed in the elites section of the army list. However any number of models in the retinue may be upgraded to Nobz instead of just 1. The Nobz may select additional weapons and wargear from the armoury as usual and may take a mixture of weapons and wargear. In addition, they may take “Boss/Nobz only” wargear if desired. The Boss and his retinue count as a single HQ choice.

Transport: If the Boss and retinue number 10 models or less then they may be transported in a Wartrukk at 30pts or a Battlewagon at 120pts if 20 models or less. (see the appropriate entries for these vehicles in either the Fast Attack or Heavy Support sections of the army list respectively). Note that if a battlewagon is selected as a transport it will still count as a scoring unit.

Alright, theres a fair bit to explain here I came up with 3 levels or ork bosses, but not all of them are available at certain pts levels. The Big Boss is a slighly improved nob, while the Warboss is what we currently have (with a slight pts drop to take into account his lesser "naked" power than a beakie commander. Then we have the Warlord. Hes a bit tougher than your current warboss. There may be some "Warlord only" items in the wargear list for him, but I havent decided yet.

I also figured that the bigger a warband the Boss leads the more powerful he will become, so thats my explanation for why you cant take a Big Boss in a 1500pt game. I still gave the player SOME choice, but I wanted to warband's size to influence the kind of boss available

I liked the idea of the retinue being nice and customizable (FLASH GIT RETINUES!). For one thing, I like the idea of a cheaper retinue being available if you want, but theres also the option to go hog-wild and take a massive nob retinue of death! However this becomes a massive point sink quickly. Its also a handy way to give the nobs some "starting" wargear so that they dont average more expensive than the normal nobs in the army list.

I also added a battlewagon as a transport option for the boss. I would think the boss would have "first dibs" on one of those. Add in a rule to make sure it still counts as a scoring unit and you're done!

Painboss
0-1
Painboss SAME STATS AS NOW!
Unit Size: 1 Painboss

Weapons and Wargear: The Painboss may select weapons and wargear from the ork armoury. He may choose “Painboss only” or “Dokz only” items if desired. In addition the Painboss will always be equipped with Dok’s Toolz.

Retinue: The Painboss may be accompanied by a retinue of Cyborks if desired. The Painboss may not leave the bodyguard during the game.

Cyborks
0-1 Sv
Cybork: SAME STATS AS NOW EXCEPT FOR Cost=15pts and Sv=6+/5+I
Unit Size: The retinue consists of between 4 and 9 Cyborks. The Painboss and his Cyborks count as a single HQ choice

Weapons and Wargear:
The Cyborks are equipped with sluggas and choppas. Up to 2 models may upgrade their basic armament to a burna and choppa for +10pts, Big Shoota and Choppa for +12pts or Rokkit Launcha and Choppa for +8pts. Up to 1 model may have a power klaw for +15pts.

Krush, Kill, Destroy!: Cyborks are single minded monstrosities. They have little care for things like objectives and are much more likely to smash them than capture them intact. Cyborks never count as a scoring unit.

Transport: If the Painboss and retinue number 10 models or less then they may be transported in a Wartrukk at 30pts (see the appropriate entry in the Fast Attack section of the army list).

I deliberately kept the Painboss very similar to what he is now since I think that is currently a nicely balanced guy. I just made sure to make sure he always has his toolz on him. It just makes sense that way

The Cyborks are another matter. They are one of the few units in our list that could EVER have been considered overpowered. So I increased their pts cost a bit and added "krush, kill, destroy". However I did add in some extra weapon options for them (at a somewhat premium cost when compared to boyz units) since I always thought that it wasnt right for them to only have sluggas and choppas. They also get a lil protection from some ignore invulnerable weapons, but most have the AP to simply ignore their regular armour save

Big Mek
0-1
Big Mek: SAME STATS AS NOW!
Unit Size: 1 Big Mek

Weapons and Wargear: The Big Mek may be equipped with weapons and wargear from the ork armoury including “Mek only” or “Big Mek only” items. In addition, the Big Mek is always equipped with Mek’s Toolz

Retinue: The Big Mek may be accompanied by a retinue of Burna Boyz from the Troops section of the army list. The Big Mek and his retinue count as a single HQ choice. The unit does not count toward the 0-2 limit of burna boyz in the army.

Transport: If the Big Mek and retinue number 10 models or less then they may be mounted in a Wartrukk at 30pts (see the appropriate entry in the Fast Attack section of the army list).

Again, I kept the big mek similar to what he was in the current codex and did most of the changing on his retinue. I never saw people using the old "mekboy retinue" and so I thought I'd try something different. Since Burna Boyz are supposed to be apprentice meks I figured it would make sense to use them. Plus, taking a big mek and a burna boy bodyguard means you free up a Troop slot if you planned to take a burna mob.

Dokz

Dok: SAME STATS AS NOW EXCEPT Sv= none
Unit Size: 1-3 Dokz may be taken as a single HQ choice. Note that they do not use up an HQ slot on the force organization chart.

Weapons and Wargear: Doks may select their weapons and wargear from the ork armoury. In addition they will always have Dok’s Toolz.

Advizorz: Each dok must be assigned to a unit before the game begins. He may not leave the unit over the course of the game and is deployed at the same time the unit is deployed

Mekboyz

Mekboy: SAME STATS AS NOW EXCEPT Sv=none
Unit Size: 1-3 Mekboyz may be taken as a single HQ choice. Note that they do not use up an HQ slot on the force organization chart.

Weapons and Wargear:
Mekboyz may select their weapons and wargear from the ork armoury. In addition they will always have Mek’s Toolz.

Advizorz:
Each mekboy must be assigned to a unit before the game begins. He may not leave the unit over the course of the game and is deployed at the same time the unit is deployed

I added these guys as sort of a roundabout way to incorperate "clan boss upgrades" and the old option to include meks/doks into the boss' bodygaurd in one place.

Notice I gleefully stripped out their armour save to reflect the fact that even if they are orks, they are still "worker" orks and while naturally capable of fighting, they specialize on their particular discipline. Not much of a change in terms of effectiveness, but I just dont picture the the lower level meks/doks being very well armoured. Big meks/Painbosses will likely be a) naturally tougher and b) better equipped, hence their actual armour save

And again, I added in the toolz just because it makes sense that they'd always have them on them!

EDIT: I did a lil editing of stat lines that had remained mostly the same from the current codex.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2006, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Orky HQ stuff. Fishy's Vision for the new codex!

For Gork's sake... LEARN TO READ STICKIES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2006, 22:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Orky HQ stuff. Fishy's Vision for the new codex!

D'OH!

Ya know, I noticed the thing about the stat line formatting just now. I dont really post here too often and this was mostly a cut and paste job.

I'll see what I can do about getting the stat parts formatted nicely but that formatting thing make my brain hurt...

EDIT: Took a while, but I seem to have gotten it working properly. For some reason it was only copying about half the table code into my post when i first tried it
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote