Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau - CC troops
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2005, 18:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Tau - CC troops

I myself love the tau for the tau models themselves, not the kroot nor the vespid. So I thought, why are these mercs used, and the main answer - mostly because tau suck so much in combat. So I thought, why not have some Tau close combat units of our own. They coube be similar to the etherals, and even Aun'shi. They could perhaps be deciples of sun'shis more physical approach o assualt.

Basic statline not too different from a normal etheral, the only difference 1 less wound and 1 more WS. Give them a sort of honour blade and you could have an actualt TAU based close combat unit.

What do you guys think, improvements perhaps, critiscisms?

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 06 Nov 2005, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer
Default Re: Tau - CC troops

Not a good idea. It would completly ruin the theme of the tau, plus, Tau are physically weak and detest close combat, viewing it as barbaric.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblazer
Not a good idea. It would completly ruin the theme of the tau, plus, Tau are physically weak and detest close combat, viewing it as barbaric.
bingo. right on the money...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 06 Nov 2005, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I suppose thats why the mercs where brought into the equation in the first place. Still, it could be an eretheral body guard of aun'shi or something, an idea to consider for house rules all the same.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 06 Nov 2005, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

i made these up ages ago, they are very fluffy and work very well against hoard armies... modify them if you wish

Tau Ethereal Bodyguard

HQ: (doesn't count towards limit, can only be taken with a Ethereal)

[table][tr][td]Unit[/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Shas'ui[/td][td]25[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]

Team: The team consists of 3-6 members

Equipment: Burst Cannon with Under-Slung Photon Grenade Launcher.

Options: Up to 1/3 of the team (round fractions down) may exchange their Burst Cannon for a Plasma Rifle at +5 points per model. The team may carry EMP grenades at an additional cost of +3 points per model.

SPECIAL RULES
Bonded: A team must be bonded by the Ta'lissera at an additional cost of +10 points.

Bodyguard: if within 2" of an Ethereal, a Shas may change places with him/her at the start of either players Assault phase. the Shas will then fight the Ethereals opponents and the Ethereal will fight the Shas' (if they had any).

Burst Cannon with Under-Slung Photon Grenade Launcher: Burst Cannons cause pinning if they cause a casualty.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 06 Nov 2005, 22:56   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The moment I saw the title of this topic, I knew it would be a waste of forum space.

Tau close-combat troops have no place in 40K. Perhaps if the Tau had been in Rogue Trader, then yes... but that was back in the day when Eldar had Land Raiders, Marines had "military police", and Squats flew about on hoverboards.

Let's leave this stupid idea in the Black Library with the rest of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Nov 2005, 03:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

i agree with Wargamer. If you want a CC army get something other than Tau. Dont complain about what we do and dont have and be thankful that our shooting totally kicks ***.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
Old 07 Nov 2005, 19:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I was niether complaing nor wanting an overly powerfull CC army, thats why I chose Tau instead of the likes of tyranidds, it was just an idea to play around with. I meant make a CC unit no better than kroot, plain as, I wouldnt want to change the Tau, in my opinion every army needs a weakness otherwise they are no fun to play. It's overcoming your weaknesses that are rewarding!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 07 Nov 2005, 22:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

Yes, but

Overcoming your weakness is all well and good if you use what is available to you.
Correct me if i'm wrong but you want a totally new CC model for the Tau. Thats not overcoming your weakness, thats just getting rid of it.

When you over come a weakness its not gone, its just been compensated for.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Delvarious while i agree with the others that the tau shouldn't have good close combat capabilities. I also believe that the purpose of creating a new unit is to instill into the army a facet that you cannot experience currently. For example, tau players are constantly creating new CC units, and this is not as bad as people make it out to be, at least not in my personal opinion. In reality, i wouldn't expect tau players to create anything else, and it makes sense to me why players would want to do this. That is because they want to experience what its like to have units that are good at every aspect of the game, or would simply love to have the option to play a CC oriented army which otherwise they will never get a chance to do, unless they invest time and money in creating an entirely different force. So while i believe that making CC for tau may not be fluffy, i don't feel its a waste of time. Make yourself what you would like to try and see if a friend will playtest it with you, this may result in the feeling that adding any more powerful CC units into tau may be too much even from your perspective. In the end, the purpose of making new units is to increase the amount of fun your having and your gaming community, as long as your new units add to this instead of compromise that then test units out as you like with opponent consent of course.
Closed Thread