Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Command Devilfish
Closed Thread
Old 05 Nov 2005, 13:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Command Devilfish

I made these rules up ages ago, but i've only been on the forum for a day. Enjoy

Transport: Command Devilfish

Many is the Shas’O who rides to battle with his retinue in a Command Devilfish.

Pts: 120 Front:13 Side:13 Rear: 12 BS:4

Type: Tank, fast, skimmer Crew: Tau fire caste

Weapons: Burst cannon, pintle mounted rail rifle and two twin-linked XV8 battle suit weapon hard points.
Note: Note: The rear 2 XV8 hard-points must be the same, and the front 2 XV8 hard-points must be the same; for example, you may have two twin-linked fusion blasters for 36 Pts at the front and two twin-linked missile launchers for 21 pts at the rear but not a Twin-linked Missile pod and a twin-liked fusion blaster for 39 Pts at the front and a twin-linked flamer and a twin-linked plasma rifle for 36 Pts at the rear. The hard points may not be burst cannons. If you choose twin-linked flamers, you may re-roll the too wound dice.

Systems: The Command Devilfish is equipped with four modified seeker missiles at no extra cost.

Options: The Command Devilfish may be upgraded with any of the vehicle upgrades specified in the Tau armoury. It may not select the seeker missile upgrade again.

Transport: The command devilfish may carry up to ten models. It may carry XV15 stealth suits, but these count as two models. It may also carry a Shas’O or Shas’El with his body guard with no additional troops, or a Shas’O or Shas’El with their attached unit (cannot carry XV-88 suits though)
Note: It is assumed that the XV15 team will rig the Command Devilfish with a holographic array before the battle, so the Command Devilfish as having stealth armour.

Access points: There are access hatches at the rear and on each side of the hull. Models embarking or disembarking must be within 2” of one of them.

Special Rules

Improved comms: As a mobile command centre, the Command Devilfish has been upgraded with many advanced communication arrays to allow the commander to talk with his troops.
You may add one to your reinforcement roles.

Modified seeker missiles: These are exactly the same as seeker missiles except from they have a blast template and do not need to be guided by a marker light.

History and evolution

The design and origins of the command devilfish can be tracked to the Valdemeer (lit. hard fought) sept. Named after Shas’O Vash’Ya Kias Ores Myen Vladimir, this newly conquered sept was originally overrun by Orks. Finding a normal Devilfish to lightly armoured, slow and its communications range to short, to command large battles from. He decided to start the CDDP (Command Devilfish Design Project) in a quest to find the answer to his troubles. The designs are as follows:

CDD1: A basic Devilfish with improved armour and communications.

CDD2A: The CDD1 proved to cramped to be of any troop carrying use, so a Devilfish was fitted with a Hammerhead turret with the gun replaced with a communications relay.

CDD2B: Same as CDD2A but with improved engines.

CDDIA1A: The CDD2A and B where moderately successful, but where found to seriously lack in firepower, so the Fio caste attempted replacing the gun drones with gunner controlled XV8 hard points.

CDDIA2A: The CDDAI1A was successful but Ork Fighta-Bobma pilots soon learnt that they had very little anti-air weapons. The Fio caste came up with the simple solution of fitting the turret with a pintle mounted rail rifle.

Appendix

CDD: Command Devilfish Design

CDDIA: Command Devilfish Design Improved Armament.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 13:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Command Devilfish

Hi!

I don't know if it would help your development ideas, but in the Epic list a Shas'o wanting to command larger battles can do so on board the command deck of a Dragonfish - a converted Orca Transport.

(Have a look at the current WIP list at http://home.i1.net/~rob/epictau/TauWIPv4.2.3.pdf)

(the Orca can be seen over at Forgeworld's site, www.forgeworld.co.uk)

In the Imperial Armour 3 book, Mantas also have a similar command deck, where a larger conflict can be managed.

Hope this helps!

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 13:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Far far far far far too cheap! *For only slightly more then a regular Devilfish you have something that has (and can take) more guns, better armour then a Hammerhead, more speed then anything in the Tau list, 'uber seekers' and can transport anything short of an XV88...and has Stealth.

I don't think that'll work at all, sorry. *A command Devilfish wouldn't be much different to a regular Devilfish, bar the improved comms. *Have a look at Space Marine command vehicles for comparision.

~Andromidius
Old 05 Nov 2005, 13:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

How much then? 200 Pts with 12,12,11 armour? Also note that you may only have stealth when you are using it as a dedicated transport for them.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As I said, I'd dig out IA3 and work out a Dragonfish conversion for an Orca, the DF is too small a chassis for such a command vehicle...

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Closed Thread