Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Using a "Master" set of magnets
Old 29 Oct 2008, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Using a "Master" set of magnets

The other day I got my first rare earth magnet disks and happily magnetized a couple weapons for my Tau Commander's arm. I couldn't have been happier with the result.

I decided to make sure that all of my magnets are installed so that all weapons can be attached to all Crisis suits, so that all backpacks can be attached to any Chaos Space Marine, etc. Rather than dig out a model every time I want to check the poles on magnets, I decided to make a "master" set of magnets.

I took a spare wooden disk from an old project and drilled a couple small cavities out and set two magnets into it. Make sure they've got opposite poles facing outward. Having two of the same pole facing outward doesn't help you much. :P One magnet represents a magnet that would be set into a body or arm, the other represents a magnet set into a weapon, backpack, or other extremity.

To make sure I am inserting a new magnet the correct way, I just verify the pole by placing it on my "master" set to figure out which way I need to set it. This way all of my magnets set in arms and bodies have the same pole facing outward, as do all magnets set into weapons, backpacks, and the like.

I figured I'd share the idea with the masses. It has simplified the process for me. Hopefully it helps you out as well.

I'm better at L5R than I am at 40K.
PlaguedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2008, 21:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Using a "Master" set of magnets

Good idea.

I personally have the two body magnets pointing so that they pull each other together.

That way when I'm pulling an arm off of the model the body magnet is being pulled in the opposite direction by the other side of the body. Ultimately this was a precaution so that the body magnets didn't rip out when removing an arm. I've never even tested it where the body magnets repulse each other, but I didn't want to risk it, and honestly I've always got at least one model that already have magnets in to test for alignment.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 01:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that idea wouldnt work to well for crisis suits though Xanzar, unless you olny mount on the arms

other wise it works if you cant remember to slide the magnets off instead of pulling them straight off

also, i keep a spare suit im working on to test polarity, but i still get it wrong sometimes :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 14:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not familiar with magnetizing a tau suit so I'm not sure, but why wouldn't it work? Are there too many magnets in the same area pointing in particular directions?
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 00:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you dont magnatise the shoulders of a battlesuit, you magnatise the top of the backpack, and the arms, like in my paint picture (magnets go at the red arrows)

Quote:
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Old 02 Nov 2008, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I just marked an x on one side of all the magnets. On the body, the x is not visible. On things that attach to the body, the x is visible. It also prevents me from accidentally flipping the magnet around and installing it backwards. (a problem that did get me on a couple of crisis suits back in the day)
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 01:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i thought about doing something like that... but that would be a lot of small dots or whatever... and i just eanted to get the stuff magnatised

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02 Nov 2008, 02:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

How big are these exactly? I wanted to use them to make some of my fantasy model's arms interchangeable, but I'm not sure if I could do it so it isn't noticeable. My roommate has a bunch of magnets I want to try that are used for accupuncture.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 02:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i use 1/8 inch, but they come smaller than that (i think i saw something arround 3/32 inch

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02 Nov 2008, 02:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I picture them sliding around a lot though, like say there was an arm with a sword upraised, would it rotate to it's gravitational point with the sword drooping down? And can they hold metal bits up?
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote