Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Tutorial] Figure Cases on a budget
Old 23 Jul 2007, 23:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default [Tutorial] Figure Cases on a budget

I usually buy Chessex cases for my minis but I could never find good portable cases for my vehicles that weren't overly expensive. All that ended yesterday with a trip to Home Depot. I built a easily portable figure case for my space marine army in under an hour for $10.

Supplies Needed:

The case. Mine is a Workforce 20'' plastic tool box. Cost: $9.96 at Home Depot
Hobby knife
Foam core or Cardboard
permanent marker
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Foam
Tape measure

This is the case. It has plastic compartments on top( not pictured) which are great for storing dice, super glue for those unforseen mishaps, tapemeasures and anything you may need to bring to your game. These compartments vary in size and can easily fit some of your figures in there if you really want to maximize your storage capability.

Inside the case is a tray that sits on top. I've taken the padding from blister packs and lined the bottom using hot glue to hold the padding in place.

With the tray in place there is a good 7 inches of depth in the case. Enough for two levels of models. I've taken the excess foam from my Chessex cases and lined the bottom. Again, I've used hot glue to keep them padding in place.

Most of you probably don't have this foam from the Chessex cases. No need to worry. You can purchase an assortment of different sheets of foam online for a very reasonable price. I actually recommend this and I will purchase foam for any future cases like this but for this case I used what I had on hand. This is a great site for you foam needs: http://www.uline.com/Group_18.asp?pricode=WE430

To create a second level I took some pieces of foam core which I measured to make sure my bigger tanks would have plenty of room to fit on the bottom. I then glued the pieces in place on the ends and on either side in the middle. I measured and marked the where the top should be so it was even on all sides.

Next I measured the dimensions of the container at the middle point making sure the second level would fit. I then cut the foam core to the dimensions I had measured and fitted it in place.

After I made sure everything was fitting properly and the second level was stable I glued more foam on to the foam core.

And that's it! Simple but very effective. I now have a easily portable case for my vehicles. The models are fairly secure with the padding but if you wanted to take extra precautions you can easily line the walls with foam as well. In addition you could create compartments using foam core or cardboard for each individual model.

Here are some pics of the models in the case. As you can see it can hold alot. My case can hold 6 tanks, 2 dreadnoughts, 3 attack bikes, 10 regular bikes and a landspeeder with some room to spare!

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn
Default Re: [Tutorial] Figure Cases on a budget

I think I see how you are doing that. Nice tutorial. So, are you going to give karma to yourself. ; )

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 01:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

Very nice I bought one of the work force cases for my paints when I got to my FLGS paint night
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 01:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

@ cambohn, I think I might get into trouble for giving myself karma. ;D Of course you can always flag my post.

@ faol, I almost got a smaller one for my paints but I think my current paint container is ok. Plus I had problems keeping this one from tipping over before it was loaded up with models. The lid is so heavy but I guess its meant to be weighed down with lots of metal tools. I think I'm going to get another one of these once I start my next army. I was thinking the Sabol model holders would fit pretty well in one of these, so I may see if I can find a way to use this type of case for small and large minis.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 10:41   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Topic karma'd and nice tutorial 99
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 17:53   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

On a side-note, Egg Containers make really nice infantry carriers ^_^
Old 28 Jul 2007, 21:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What I fail to see is how foaming the floor in any kind of way protects the model from getting crushed against the walls?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 13:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If I didn't put foam on the floor the models would slide around on the plastic bottom. The sit quite securely on the foam and don't budge even with a good deal on movement carrying the case. I would have padded the walls as well had I had enough foam but it wasn't necessary to. Basically I decided it would be better to have them not slide on the floor rather than slide but have padding when they hit the walls.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 13:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ah, so you simply squees them together? :P
Old 30 Jul 2007, 15:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

That looks very handy, smart. I use winecases myself (though none are finished, really, so it's really more 'plan to use&#39, because they're pretty strong and shock-resistant.

Shouldn't there be foam between the different models though? What if they 'collide' while carrying them...?

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote