Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to 40k w/ questions
Old 06 Jun 2010, 15:32   #1 (permalink)
Mechabeast

Default New to 40k w/ questions

Yo,

After many gateway drugs, I think I'm picking up some Tau at Gen-Con Indy 2010. But I did have some questions for regular players before I ruin my credit.

I see that the rules are pretty exstensive. How bad is the rules lawyering in this game? Is there a lot of grey areas or are the rules pretty solid.

Do models have to represent all of the correct weapons/ equipment layouts as you picked on your lists.

How hard is it to get the feel for all of your opposing armies. I know that there is a learning curve involved with any new game, but i don't want "Oh you didn't know that unit A destroys you entire army unless you have unit B?"

Not to bash any army out there, but are there any current cheesy list/ armies out there i should look out for? I'm pretty set on Tau because of their theme of ranged attacks and mech designs so I'm hoping not to be "That guy"

Thanks for your input.
Old 06 Jun 2010, 15:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: New to 40k w/ questions

1) Rule lawyering: I can't say because I don't do competition/tourney, but I'm ready to bet my first born son, that regardless of how ironclad the rules are you,ll get some who will argue RAW over RAI and use every grey area to bend the rules.

2) Models have to be WYSIWYG, meaning that everything you add on to them must be represented in some way. Obviously Hard-wired stuff you don't need to represent them. Some of the tau wargear have no bits so either you uase something else or you don't bother with it.

3) It depends on how much experience you have with 40K. Tau can be pretty balanced, but you need to be aware that close combat is not for you and your leadership tend to be low. You need to fire in a smart way and keep mobile.

4) Cheesy list: Twin Chaos Demon Pince with Lash of Submission and oblitarator, 3 Landraider SM list, Abbadon and termie list, Deepstriking/Biker SM list. To some extend those are some of the one I can think of the top of my head.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2010, 15:51   #3 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

There are a few instances of rules lawyering, but in the most part there are clear cut rules. If anything it's more of an issue of badly written rules that people have a hard time understanding, and for the most part getting to a conclusion is fairly quick, though other peoples mileage my vary.

In official games, the rule is called What You See Is What You Get, or WYSIWYG, and it is serious business. However, in most friendly games it's not a big deal and you can get away with not having everything perfectly modelled.

Most Marine armies play similarly (Space Marines, Space Wolves, Black Templar, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marines to a lesser extent), but each focusing on a different aspect of the game. Blood Angels are more assault oriented, but Dark Angels (when playing Death Wing) can take all terminators with Land Raiders, so it's more an issue of getting to know the units in a given group of armies, and knowing how each army uses them, in order to counter it. Having a solid mix of Anti Heavy Tank and Anti Light Tank will cover the different vehicles, and having a good deal of Anti Heavy Infantry and Anti Horde, will cover anything that isn't a vehicle. For the most part, there are no super units that cannot be countered as long as you have a solid, balanced list. However, a Land Raider WILL roll through you if you don't have any S9+ guns, or Power Fists/Power Fist Equivilents, or any Melta(bombs), so the balancing act of having those options and options to kill other things is the key

I suppose the cheese list out there is Leafblower IG, though I haven't encountered it, and some form of Blood Angels, though they haven't given me ANY problem at my local game store, so someone else will have to help. Tau are by no means over powered or cheesy, so no worries about being that guy, more likely than not you'll lose hard your first couple times, as Tau have a rather steep learning curve, so don't get discouraged
Old 06 Jun 2010, 19:28   #4 (permalink)
Mechabeast

Is ther any shortage or OOP models for the Tau

and

Is there any rules updates incoming that i should wait till then to buy my armies?
Old 06 Jun 2010, 22:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Tau has 2 oop models. Aun'shi (not part of this current edition) and the XV-15 stealth suit (replaced by the XV-25 model).

We don't know. The current tau model was 4th edition and although there is rumors there's nothing definate.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 00:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tau also have that ethereal that came in the old spearhead box. Dunno if that's considered OOP, but I don't know if the model is still sold.

Technically the old Resin Piranha models are OOP, but the plastic ones are waay better imo.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 05:11   #7 (permalink)
Mechabeast

Thanks again. See you at Gen con. I'll be the creepy one hovering over shoulders