Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Art Of War - Campaign Notes and Rules
Old 06 Apr 2010, 01:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default The Art Of War - Campaign Notes and Rules

Majestic starships hang in the void, like beautiful jewels bobbing in a black ocean. Phantom Titans march on worlds that have not felt the caress of the Eldar in countless millennia. The swords of the Aspect Warriors sing as they are drawn from their sheaths.

[hr]

Right boys, here's the score.

The "Rallying Cry" thread may seem misleading. It is not feasible to run the true Rhana Dandra as a single campaign - certainly not as a taster to see if running a campaign will work at all - but then again, with my reimagining of the conflict not as a final battle but as a final war that could itself last for many centuries, it becomes easier to see what I am aiming for.

There are two ways to look at this campaign. The first is as a standalone feature - which it may be and may remain - with the Eldar making a great push out from their homes and pressing upon the galaxy in an unprecedented manner. The second is rather as the start of something huge, and if this works then that is what it shall be. This campaign, or rather, this segment of the Time of Ending as a whole will simply be the first part in an epic that shall be woven across the forums, shaping history and eventually involving every race; that is something that is simply not plausible with a campaign involving a single world, but that is not how I am doing things. This is the galaxy. If this works I shall move on and run one for the Tau, and then one of the other races, gradually merging things together until we have a great ongoing history on the forums - seeing as GW seem too pussy to move their history beyond the end of M41, I think we can do it for them.

So what are we actually doing here? What is the goal of the Eldar in this segment?

Well, in line with the quote that makes up the title of this board, the Eldar are "[raging] against the dying of the light." They are pushing forth, pressing warzones across the galaxy, in search of something. Something that was once lost, something that they are not even sure what it is, it may be a weapon, or a tool, or even a person. It could be as small as a ring or as large as a Blackstone Fortress. But they will know when they find it.

And how will this be run?

Good question. I had some thoughts on how I was going to break it down, whether I was going to do it by Craftworld or by region of the galaxy, I even considered using both but I want to make it as simple as possible and having to cross-reference Craftworld and possible locations would just be a hassle at this stage of the game. In the end this campaign shall break down victories by Craftworld, and these victories shall be recorded in a separate thread.

By now I assume you are all thinking "Can I use my own Craftworld?" Well, the answer is a "sort of." There are score totals for the Big Five, for Commorragh (yes, Commorragh) and for "others." The "others" represents smaller and non-canon Craftworlds, and while players with significant fluff behind their Craftworlds (or playing a less-represented but still official Craftworld, such as Altansar or Lugganath) may feel this is unfair it is significantly simpler than trying to compile a list of every non-canon Craftworld on the forum. You can choose to support one of the other six factions, or place your victories into the "Others" area. If you make a significant contribution to the "Others" side, then in the next part of this campaign that features the Eldar your Craftworld (be it non-canon or simply less-well-known) will be elevated to the main list.

And now to the core of the matter: recording scores.

Here are the ways you can add to your Craftworld's score:
  • By winning a game*! Simple. This adds one point to your faction's score.
  • By participating in a game involving three or more players. This adds one point to your faction's score.
  • By organising a game involving three or more players. This adds one point to your faction's score.
  • The above three points are cumulative, so if you organise, play in and win a game involving three or more players, your faction will get three points.
  • By writing good fluff**. I know "good" is subjective, so here is how it'll work. If you have some fluff for your Craftworld or the campaign - be it in textbook style or story style - post it up in this board (i.e. not Eldar, not 40k Creations, this board). If the other Eldar players of the site like it (please, if you're in the campaign or even if you aren't, read and comment on fluff), then it gains an additional point (or more than one, if it's really good) for your faction. Please make which faction you are supporting clear.
  • Games of Battlefleet Gothic and of Epic will also grant points in exactly the same way as games of Warhammer 40,000.
  • And finally: Consistently posting in character will earn points for your faction. This does not mean making every post (in my example) 'Cedhoradh glanced over at the Autarch, and said "Derpy derpy dee."' It simply means posting in character. For example, if someone on the Eldar board asks for help dealing with Terminators, rather than saying "Hey OP, why not try a squad of Fire Dragons?", say something like "Greetings, esteemed Autarch of Iyanden. In my many centuries of warfare, I have found that the Dragon Aspect handles these monkeigh warriors effortlessly." See? This isn't a clear cut "point per post" thing, but if you keep it up, it will get noticed, and your faction will get points.

*All games must be at least 500pts per side. This is so small as to barely be a restriction, but in future campaigns this limit may rise.
**Do not include locating or describing the mystery object in the fluff.

To get your points added to your faction's score, all you have to do is post in the "Scores" thread explaining what you've done and which faction is gaining your points. Be consistent. Don't be fighting for Saim-Hann one day and Commorragh the next! If you have written fluff that you wish to be considered for faction points, post in the Scores thread saying so. Otherwise it may not get noticed.

As the campaign goes on, I'll be throwing more things at you - releasing more story information, and even offering special rules for you to use in your games, of course with your opponent's permission - and if you use these rules and let us know how they work, it may earn your faction more points!

It starts now! The scores will be sealed at midnight GMT on May 6th, and we shall see what happens next!

Any questions? I'm only human and it may be that there's a glaring mistake here and there's something in my head that explains it all, but I've just forgotten to write it down...
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Art Of War - Campaign Notes and Rules

With games, does it have to be with other people in the Campaign, and is organising and participating a game with three or more players mutually exclusive or not? ie: can I organise one and play in it as well, getting 2 points?

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 01:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cortex (Darth)
With games, does it have to be with other people in the Campaign,
No. That would be next to impossible, especially considering all the campaign participants are on the forum and may not be able to game together, and also counterproductive as we're all "on the same side", to a degree..

Quote:
and is organising and participating a game with three or more players mutually exclusive or not? ie: can I organise one and play in it as well, getting 2 points?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedhoradh
  • The above three points are cumulative, so if you organise, play in and win a game involving three or more players, your faction will get three points.
So yes, you would get two points for organising a larger game and playing in it. Organising is anything from being in your club and saying "HEY! Who wants to play a team battle/four-way free for all?" up to organising a full-on Apocalypse game. Please post details of the game in the Scores thread, as a suitably large game (say if you organise a weekend-long Apocalypse game with three players per side) will warrant more than a single point.[/list]
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh yes - if you change your profile (avatar and name will do) to suit the campaign, for example like I have or like Ellipsisman has (he is now We-Tain), that warrants a point too - but ONLY if you post in the Scores thread saying so (just like any other thing you can earn points for), and ONLY if you leave it like that until the end of the campaign.

You may call me Circus.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 01:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, the first was what I thought, and I missed the second one, so sorry!

Does Dr. Cortex count?

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 01:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I speak for the proud Iadanna of the Iarrascurath, Cait-Baharr.

Our lances will strike for Biel-Tan when chance permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 01:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cortex (Darth)
Well, the first was what I thought, and I missed the second one, so sorry!

Does Dr. Cortex count?
A Crash Bandicoot character is not an Eldar in any way, shape or form :P

[hr]

In addition, when placing your points into "Others," please clarify which Craftworld amongst the others you are standing for. If you do this then after the campaign is over I can see if any one Craftworld has had a great input into "Others" and as such promote them to "full" Craftworld for the next campaign.

You may call me Circus.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Greetings Cedhoradh,

Just some questions (I play Dark Eldar btw)

Could i make my own "Kabal" (instead of craftworld) or would it all count as the "Commorragh"?

Do the battles have to be in person, or can vassal games count too?

3rd - My avatar/name would easily suit in a community of Dark Eldar no?

4th - Posting in character, you dont even have to ask, mortal one.

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 03:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Greetings Cedhoradh,

Could i make my own "Kabal" (instead of craftworld) or would it all count as the "Commorragh"?
If you play Dark Eldar, then your points go to "Commorragh." Unless, for some reason, you want to fight on behalf of the Craftworlders

Quote:
Do the battles have to be in person, or can vassal games count too?
Either is fine.

Quote:
If "Zambia" sounded like an Eldar name and not a country on Earth then yes =P sad thing is it doesn't, so no, it wouldn't =P If you want to claim points for altering your profile, it should be to a believable Eldar name. That doesn't mean it can't be taken from somewhere else, but "Autarch Tyrion" (from WHFB) for example, is rather more appropriate than "Farseer Austria" (another country on Earth ).

I don't think names are too difficult to come up with, honestly. For a Dark Eldar Archon, I feel "Zandia" would be appropriate, even though it's just one letter shift it sounds more plausible.

Quote:
4th - Posting in character, you dont even have to ask, mortal one.
Good =P

You may call me Circus.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 03:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Greetings Cedhoradh,

If you play Dark Eldar, then your points go to "Commorragh." Unless, for some reason, you want to fight on behalf of the Craftworlders
Of course i want Dark Eldar to fight on behalf of the Craftworlders! (note the hint of sarcasm)

Quote:
Quote:
If "Zambia" sounded like an Eldar name and not a country on Earth then yes =P sad thing is it doesn't, so no, it wouldn't =P If you want to claim points for altering your profile, it should be to a believable Eldar name. That doesn't mean it can't be taken from somewhere else, but "Autarch Tyrion" (from WHFB) for example, is rather more appropriate than "Farseer Austria" (another country on Earth ).

I don't think names are too difficult to come up with, honestly. For a Dark Eldar Archon, I feel "Zandia" would be appropriate, even though it's just one letter shift it sounds more plausible.
Well i can live without the bonus point (ill just organize an extra game :P)

And just a double check - You wanted battle reports, but written in more narrative style than "His marines shoot at the warriors, but roll badly and only kill one"? And we post the reports in this thread titled "Kabal of Shadow's invasion in Ultra" or whatever?

Cheers

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote