Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

is 40k really 40k???
Closed Thread
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default is 40k really 40k???

do you think 40k is really 40k in tech ... i mean come on space marines are just using BIGGER machine guns and there armor looks like g force armor (that i saw on science channel) I understand ships the size of city's but look at the marines or foot soldiers what ever you want to call them there guns ... armor .... sensors humans should be ahead of tau in tech so what do you guys think
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: is 40k really 40k???

People in general are distrustful of technology because of the war between AI and humans. That's why Servitors are lobotomised. By the way, Bolter shells are small explosives.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 16:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's something one my friends cannot understand - there's a decay in humanity's technology, not advancement. Discoveries are few and far between, as few humans truely understand technology and even those who do are bonded by reverence and rituals, not daring to tamper with the Machine God's creations.

If that's too hard to understand, then just suspend your disbelief.

~Andromidius
Old 19 Sep 2005, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you go by the weapons and rules from 1st-4th edition...technology is decaying for all races it seems.

It's decayed the most for Orks. Ask an old player about Shokk Attack Guns, Pulsa Rokkits, and Squig catapults.

Eldar are probably 2nd in terms of most technology lost. Shuricats lost half their range- which no other race has faced on their basic weapon. They also had things called 'targeters' which were lost for almost all races, but this seems to have affected the Eldar the worst.

Humans had anti-gravitic technology. They had graviton guns, vortex weaponry, robots, and mobile artillery like the tarantula.

Old 19 Sep 2005, 17:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thx for the post but i was talking about that in 40000 years you would think that humans might have eldar or tau tech
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 19 Sep 2005, 17:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You obviously didn't read either mine or Yriel's posts properly - technology is decaying. In the Golden Age, it would be been utterly amazing - but in the 40k current day it's regressing.

~Andromidius
Old 19 Sep 2005, 18:19   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Basically...it did get much better, until something bad happened. Then it got much worse again. But they still have some bits of the old technology left.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 18:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattz
thx for the post but i was talking about that in 40000 years you would think that humans might have eldar or tau tech
They did have it. *But the AI got too advanced and thought for itself. *So, a big war erupted and the humans emerged victorious, but very very distrustful of any type of higher technology. *The way the tau are going, I'd say this should happen soon. *

The Imperium does, however, have some tech that we have. Like NVGs, IR goggles, AT shells and HUDs just to name a few.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 19 Sep 2005, 18:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Except on the occasions where a technical explanation or description was felt useful to an understanding of the rules, such explanations have generally been avoided. The fluff contains few descriptions of how specific items are used or function - it is enough within the context of the game that the item has the effects attributed to it. This has been a deliberate policy throughout the rules. The main reason for this is simply that the Age of the Imperium is not a technically inclined age, to have included descriptions of 'head-up dispays', 'computer links', etc, would have given the wtong impression entirely. This is an age where problems are solved by brute force and ignorance, where dangers are either too gross or too unthinkable to elicit any other response. The other reason why technical description has been avoided is that the Age of the Imperium lies more than forty thousand years in the future - at a stage in history when those head-up displays and computers are about as innovative as storte circles. What scientific knowledge persists from the Dark Age of Technology is far above and beyond anything we can imagine from the perspective of the Twentieth Century. That understanding lies only with a select few - the Adeptus Mechanicus - the Tech-priests of the Imperium. Even their knowledge is somewhat debased, and the popular image of technology can be compared with that of witchcraft in medieval times. Those who come into contact with technology use it with reservations and a reveicnce that are almost religious. The Space Marines, for example, treat their equipment and armour as if if were imbued with a will of its own - a fine chest-plate, well looked after and constandy maintained may reward its wearer by saving his fife; whereas a Marine who neglects his equipment may be struck down by a leaking suit or malfunctioning weapons. Such is the will of the Gods.
While it is impossible to speculate with any certainty on the technical developments of the next forty millennia, it has obviously been necessary to make assumptions during the construction of this game. The greatest assumption has involved the creation of a broad history and a universe populated by a variety of dangers. The people of the far future are mentally very different from those of today - they have a way of looking at things in which twentieth century ideas of efficiency and morality are irrelevant. Their technology reflects both their past (an age of discovery and achievement) with their future (an age of danger and survival).

As well, GW stayed away from going all "tech-y" in 40k as that wasn't the theme they wanted to give their game. they wanted to stick to the madness, hopelessness, and a scewed fantasy/sci fi mentality of swords being used alongside pulse rifles and railguns.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 19 Sep 2005, 22:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ill assume you haven soaked up very much fluff (fluff= background fictional.. um.. historical facts), and will explain it from a fluff-less point of view.....

humanity as we know it is in a downward spiraling slid to barbarism. lotta bad stuff happened. things never worked out. we thought that expanding away from Terra would free us from all the problems we thought were indemic to Terra, only to find a hostile Galaxy out there that wants to kill and eat us, and to find that the problems are within us afterall.

with the above paragraph, assume its true for a sec and now in your head run fast foreward through that history for 38000 years. its a real mess, eh? in some ways were successfull (population growth and habitable planets) and in some ways were just as messed up as before. maybe even worse now. sure, some geniuses sparked up some technological advancement here and there, and this was accelerated because now the "genuis every century" was spawning out on millions of worlds instead of just one... and wow! we got really high tech! Anti Grav "speeders", Lance Cannons, Void shields, Teleporters, Power Armor, etc..

then things got bad really bad, apparently (ive never read this fluff myself...) computers and AI and i guess robots decided to rebel. humans found out they dont really remember how to cook a steak anymore... :P and a WAR broke out, we won, but yea.. no steaks, no Chaufers, no automated factory workers, no AI aided design... we had to start from scratch, with the (presumably) wrecked factories and fancy gadgets that no one really understood anymore (my robot always teleported the garbage away..). but some people survived, some factories survived... we could still push the big shiny red button and a Land Raider would roll out in about 2 hours here and there... these places became very very important... and eventually ForgeWorlds n stuff.

so, around 40,000, mankind has rebuilt, people are getting fed (sorta), armires are being supplied... but yea im sure you noticed imperial guardsmen look kinda 1930s... and the tanks too... there ARE some really neat things out there (like Dreadnaughts and Terminator Armor) BUT all of those things are like 8000+ years old (power armor/Terminator armor/Dreadnaughts), or simply auto-manufactured (Plasmas/Lascannons/Predator Tanks, etc.). they just dont MAKE Terminator armor nowadays.. best they can do is repair it (and fluff always hints that its never the same quality once repaired)

add to this dismal slide backwards for humanity, the religious Dogma came about fro the robot rebellion. computers became Machine Spirits, anything remotely new tech is EVIL EVIL KILL IT BURN IT!!!!!!!, and other such nonsense... this will ensure that the backward slide really never stops... bummer

add to THAT the fact that everyone out there wants to kill us or eat us. i mean EVERYONE!, and in some cases the only reason we arent DEAD yet is that we throw billions and billions to people every year into a meatgrinder.. JUST to hold it at bay! (take your pick: Chaos, Orks, Tyranids.. and later Necrons)

;D leaves a nice feeling in yer gut, dont it? moral? be nice to you robot!