Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Settle an argument
Closed Thread
Old 12 Sep 2005, 05:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: O'ahu, Hawaii Its pretty nice out here. The rent is something else, though.
Default Settle an argument

Alright, so I know you have to shoot something you charge, but what is I waste whatever I was shooting, can I charge the dudes behind/right next to em?
Or if I pop a vehical, can I charge the dudes that just scrambled out of the detonating wreck?
Old 12 Sep 2005, 05:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Settle an argument

nope, you have to charge the target you shot at...and if you happen to wipe 'em out with shooting before you get to charge, well, that's just too bad

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 12 Sep 2005, 07:08   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
nope, you have to charge the target you shot at...and if you happen to wipe 'em out with shooting before you get to charge, well, that's just too bad
That's not the rule I know... if you break/wipe out your target, you are free to assault another unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Sep 2005, 09:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Rulebook says no - if you shoot at a unit, you have to assault it. It does, however, say you can charge multiple squads as long as at least one model reaches that unit and the squad remains in coherency.

~Andromidius
Old 12 Sep 2005, 09:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
That's not the rule I know... if you break/wipe out your target, you are free to assault another unit.
if you wipe a unit out in an assault, you can sweep into another unit...but if you obliterate it with shooting, then there's no such compensation...hence why its always worth considering whether or not you shoot

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 12 Sep 2005, 15:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I have to go with BloodiedFangs on this one. If you wipe the unit you want to assualt out in shooting...oops.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 19:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Agreed on that.

Old 13 Sep 2005, 00:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You could always just shoot one bolter... >
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yes they are correct, you absolutely must charge what you shoot at, though you can in adition charge another unit next to them if some of your units can reach them but your initial charge must be at the unit you shot at, that goes for vehicles too. If you shoot and destroy a transport you do not get to assault the now ousted troops. This gives all the Blood Angels and Space Wolf players pause at my local hobby shope. They always have to stop and consider whether to shoot before assaulting.

Old 13 Sep 2005, 04:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Page 36 of the rulebook:
Quote:
A unit that fired in the shooting phase of the current turn may only declare a charge against the unit it shot at.
Personally I don't understand how this ever came to be a debate in the first place.

And, yes, later on it talks about charging multiple units.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Closed Thread