Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it best to ask a GW staff member to give me a rundown on the rules?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Sep 2005, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Is it best to ask a GW staff member to give me a rundown on the rules?

I want to start Tau (the greatest cililisation ever) and i was wondering if i should get a GW staff member to run me through a game? I emailed about it and a warhammer world guy said to ring before i come down and i can be shown the ropes. But what should i say? I would feel weird asking a staff member if he could ahow me how to play.
Old 04 Sep 2005, 19:39   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Is it best to ask a GW staff member to give me a rundown on the rules?

In my experience, no. The staff are either Powergaming freaks who will pummel you into the ground just to get a turn-on from winning, or know less about the rules than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 04 Sep 2005, 19:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: Is it best to ask a GW staff member to give me a rundown on the rules?

Don't worry about it. That's what GW staff members are there for and you certainly won't have been the first enthusiastic new player to the game who needs to be shown the rules. Just ask and they'll be only too happy to give them. The basic game rules are very easy to pick up - although it admittedly it takes a bit of experience to get them all into your head!

Wargamer is in a pessimistic negative mood - I however like to think positive.
Old 04 Sep 2005, 19:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Don't worry about it. That's what GW staff members are there for and you certainly won't have been the first enthusiastic new player to the game who needs to be shown the rules. Just ask and they'll be only too happy to give them. The basic game rules are very easy to pick up - although it admittedly it takes a bit of experience to get them all into your head!

Wargamer is in a pessimistic negative mood - I however like to think positive.
Mood? Wow... I just thought that was Wargamer.. :P

He is like that so often...

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 04 Sep 2005, 22:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Are you talking about any game, or a game with Tau? Do you have any Tau? Have you been taken through a demo game? The GW staffers get paid to do the quick demo games with people, but the problem with those is that they often bend the rules to make the game seem simpler or more exciting.

Your best bet is to come in for a Demo game if you haven't had one, though know they might be bending the rules. Other than that you should come in on a beginner's day or on 40k day to watch and play some games.
Old 04 Sep 2005, 22:20   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Our GW staff are awesome and would help you with anything, but, I don't know about other stores.
Old 04 Sep 2005, 22:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I persronally like what they do at my store. The GW guys give them and army And set them up against a vetaran. I quite often get picked and I let them win to make them happy and to get into the game. But if I don't like them then I pummel them >
Old 04 Sep 2005, 22:36   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

^Lol^ ;D

There's this one new kid who's really annoying, when i played him with my Eldar he's like "I've got a Lascannon on my Dreadnaught!!!! oMG, Strength 9, AP 2!!!!!" I was so annoyed and can't wait to show him the railgun, strength 10 AP 1-OWNAGE! >
Old 04 Sep 2005, 23:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

Defenitely ask a staffer for help. Ring up first and let them know you're comming down. All this said, read the rulebook completely at a pace that is comfortable for you, and actually absorb it.
Old 04 Sep 2005, 23:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Demo games are a good idea, just know that they dont show you everything and they simplify some things. Deffinetly read the rulebook. Before I started really playing in 4th edition I read the rulebook that came in the macragge box, the small one. Its better for absorbing the rules because it is complete and is not broken up by so much fluff as is in the larger one.

Closed Thread