Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

just a theroy
Closed Thread
Old 03 Sep 2005, 01:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to wera Send a message via MSN to wera Send a message via Yahoo to wera
Default just a theroy

how comes UK has it easy here is my theory if 15 us is 11 euro than how comes a land raider is 15 and us it is 50? i know we aren't making up all of that thru exchange rates it should only be 20 something us so i ask you if you understand what i am saying how comes they over price us but in UK it is really quite cheap?
Old 03 Sep 2005, 01:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: just a theroy

Britain uses the Pound Sterling, not the misbegotten Euro. Now, pedantic things aside, I did some checking on the GW online stores. The US price for a Landraider is 55 bucks, the UK price is 30 quid. Using the Reuters currency converter (http://today.reuters.co.uk/Investing...es.aspx?src=dg), I checked... and the prices are almost exactly the same. $55 = 29.84850

So compared to the UK, you aren't getting ripped off in the US, don't worry.

I checked out with the German online store for the Euro. One Euro is worth $1.25, and their Landraider costs 49.95 Euros. In US $s that works out at $62.57.

So if anything, you are getting it cheaper than they are!

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 03 Sep 2005, 01:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1. Grammer.
2. They have to ship it to the U.S. So if it was more expensive they would be justified. Also there are more independent hobby shop than Games Workshops in America. These stores must also make a profit.

When children goto bed they check their bedrooms for the boogie man. When the boogie man goes to bed he checks his bedroom for Chuck Norris
Old 03 Sep 2005, 02:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el'caff'ukos
1. Grammer.
Grammar.

Quote:
2. They have to ship it to the U.S.
I think they have a factory there now, but I'm not 100% sure.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Old 03 Sep 2005, 02:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to wera Send a message via MSN to wera Send a message via Yahoo to wera

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera the master of dogs and eater of things
how comes UK has it easy here is my theory if 15 us is 11 euro than how comes a land raider is 15 and us it is 50? i know we aren't making up all of that thru exchange rates it should only be 20 something us so i ask you if you understand what i am saying how comes they over price us but in UK it is really quite cheap?
oh sorry i knew something was wrong here well anyways i did use a currency calc but mabey i used the wrong euro lol srry.
Old 03 Sep 2005, 02:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You got the ratio about right, the problem was that the European Landraider doesn't cost 15 Euro, it costs about 50.

Old 03 Sep 2005, 09:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

they do get things cheaper in the Uk than anywhere else.

Here in ireland, for example, the aquilla case is 120 euro. I got it in edinburgh for 60 which translates to 90euro. cheaper by 25%.

And in general, the box sets are around 5 - 10 euro cheaper in england than here in ireland.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 03 Sep 2005, 10:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

It's all variable. As Deadnight points out, it costs a little more in Ireland, whilst with some items, it costs about the same elsewhere. Mind you, when the UK pays nearly $6 for a US gallon of petrol, $20 for a CD, and nearly $75 for a videogame, the fact you're only paying the same in the US shouldn't hurt too much...

However, I have no idea about the costs of such items in ireland, though here's betting it's the same or worse.
Old 03 Sep 2005, 11:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hasselhoff's C-Team
It's all variable. As Deadnight points out, it costs a little more in Ireland, whilst with some items, it costs about the same elsewhere. Mind you, when the UK pays nearly $6 for a US gallon of petrol, $20 for a CD, and nearly $75 for a videogame, the fact you're only paying the same in the US shouldn't hurt too much...

However, I have no idea about the costs of such items in ireland, though here's betting it's the same or worse.
OK, rough conversions, off the top of my head. e stands for a euro, just as stands for pound sterling and 1 euro is worth roughly 1 dollar, 20 cent (for ease of math) and its worth 70p sterling (for ease of math)

for a litre of petrol, we pay about e1, to e1.10
for cds, we pay e15-e25 with e20-22 being the norm.
i dont know about video games at full prices. iirc, its somewhere between 50, and 70. I only buy the platinum ones (20-30), second hand ones or 2 for 50 euro. hey, why spend 70+ euro on a game i can get for 40 euro less 6 months down the road?
and we pay a lot more for 40k stuff that the damn brits!

yes, our government are a bunch of crooks.....

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 03 Sep 2005, 16:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomendil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el'caff'ukos
2. They have to ship it to the U.S.
I think they have a factory there now, but I'm not 100% sure.
Nope. There WAS a US factory once upon a time. It however has been closed for at LEAST five years or more now. All current GW models are made in the UK and no where else now. Rumour has it the US site closefd due to the kits being packed with less than acceptable care. In other words, parts missing or more parts than there was suppose to be.
Closed Thread