Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

twin linked rule
Closed Thread
Old 02 Sep 2005, 17:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default twin linked rule

in my opion the twin linked rule doesnt make sense and a very bad rule. anybody know why GW even thought of this extremely horrible and messed up rule. do people at GW lack brains or something?
Old 02 Sep 2005, 17:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: twin linked rule

Excuse me? I don't quite get your line...What exactly do you have against the twin linked rule?

Twin linked weapons are bascially two weapons firing as one - even thought one shot is only ever fired it hits with greater accuracy. Twin linked weapons obviously will never cost as much as two weapons - if you are a Tau player look at the armament options for Crisis battlesuits in the Tau Codex to see what I mean.

Old 02 Sep 2005, 17:52   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV15 Stealthsuit
in my opion the twin linked rule doesnt make sense and a very bad rule. anybody know why GW even thought of this extremely horrible and messed up rule. do people at GW lack brains or something?
There have been several incarnations of the "twin-linking" rules. *The first was a weapon that rolled to hit once but caused two "to-wound" rolls. *The second was just a weapon with two "to-hit rolls" that must be taken at the same target (redundant on a single model). *The current incarnation of the rule was introduced in 3rd edition. *It just represents the fact that a higher rate of fire is more likely to cause a wounding hit, but only on the specific model being fired at. *It actually makes more sense if you think about it. *Firing two lascannons at the same spot on an enemy tank is more likely to get through armor than one lascannon, but won't necessarily do any more damage. *You are going to need to be a little more specific about why you don't like the rule.
Old 02 Sep 2005, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

but if you fire to lascannons with a land raider then the lascannons will hit deferent places unless the imperium angles them to intersect at a specific distence so then you should have more of a chance to do damage as you have two different spots hit.
Old 02 Sep 2005, 18:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think the twin link rule is an excellent way to account for multiple, similar fires from a single source. Chance of hitting increases. Chance of doing damage doesn't.

Since the "people at GW" are making money hand over fist from us gamers, I'd say their wits are fully within normal parameters.

Wanax
Old 02 Sep 2005, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
but if you fire to lascannons with a land raider then the lascannons will hit deferent places unless the imperium angles them to intersect at a specific distence so then you should have more of a chance to do damage as you have two different spots hit.
Technically, they are supposed to hit at approximately the same place, or at least close enough that they won't be hitting seperate subsystems. Not really the best way to represent it, but 40k is pretty heavily abstracted for the sake of game balance.
Old 02 Sep 2005, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

but if one of your lascannons shots miss then you hit the edge of the tank in the first place because there sooo close together. and if you hit the edge of a tank then that would be a glancing hit probobly in real life. and even if the hit the same subsystems it still would do more damage. for instence if i drop a sinder block on a table it might brake( simulating a lascannon) but if i drop two sinder blocks on a table then their will do a higher probobility that the table would break so therefore you can come to the conclusion that if two lascannons hit a tank then their would be a much higher chance for that tank to be disabled
Old 02 Sep 2005, 18:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Think of it more that they aren't firing at the same time. Thus the first shot is the 'tracer'. If you miss, you can adjust the aim of the second gun. That makes perfect sense, and it's a technique used by artillery and mortar crews I believe.

Or you can think of it like an anti aircraft gun - multiple barrels firing at the same time. In this technique the theory is that a bullet won't hit exactly the same place as the last when firing that quickly, plus you're aiming at a fast moving target. The chances of you hitting with a single shot are tiny. The more bullets you fire, the larger the spread area of bullets will be and thus the more likely you are to hit. Weapons are limited by their RPM (Rounds Per Minute), so more guns are added to the frame.

The example shown in Turn Signals On A Land Raider is an amusing, if inaccurate, way of looking at the rule.

~Andromidius
Old 02 Sep 2005, 19:37   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to The_Codeman Send a message via MSN to The_Codeman

Quote:
Am I the only person that found this to be very funny?
Old 02 Sep 2005, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Apperently so.

~Andromidius
Closed Thread