Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

10 Reasons why Warhammer is better than 40K
Closed Thread
Old 23 Aug 2005, 09:53   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default 10 Reasons why Warhammer is better than 40K

On a similar note to the Golden Rule of 40K, I give you this...

10: Core stats.
I have worked out that the basic statline in Warhammer (eg: a Human Soldier's statline) is worth 3 points. Furthermore, I can degrade 90% of armies to the point where they have this statline, and this points cost.

For example; if you remove the weapons and armour from the Empire Halberdiers (working out the cost from the Lords/Heroes entry) they come to 3pts. It also works with Elves and Dwarves.

This suggests that all armies are balanced, as each force is paying the same amount for their equipment and stats; a fact 40K cannot claim by any measure.

9: Less emphasis on Characters
Whilst Characters are vital to any force (especially in undead armies), rarely do they alone win battles. They often add that extra punch in assault, provide offensive/defensive magical ability or simply stop your men running away, but ultimately it is the rank and file who win the day for you. Too often do lone characters dominate 40K, especially the Chaos ones who can be kitted out far too much.

8: Charging units Strike First
Instead of getting extra attacks, charging models strike first. I personally like this a lot, mainly because I get really tired of charging I3 units into Space Marines, only for them to die before I do anything. Likewise, my I6 Harlequins tend to slaughter anyone who assaults them before they can hit back!

The Strikes First rule means everyone except Zombies will have a chance of hitting their enemy. There are some exceptions to this rule (eg: characters with Strike First weaponry, and Pikes), but overall it applies.

7: Shoot OR Assault
In Warhammer, you either assault a unit, or you shoot it. What's more you assault at the start of the Movement phase, so you can't shoot with one unit and charge with another! This means you've got to pick your charges carefully; assault a strong unit too early and they will have enough models left to break your regiment. However, wait to long and they will get the charge themselves...

6: Might does not win Fights
Just because the unit is big and strong doesn't mean it will win. Ogres are one of the nastiest regiments in Warhammer, especially on the charge (what with Impact Hits and all...) yet even they will fall (and fall hard) against supposedly weak units that engage with enough numbers, and at the right time. Thus it is that the victorious side is usually the one with the most models (or highest Unit Strength), not the most powerful models. 40K (pathetically) tried to show this affect with the rules about Fearless models in combat, but Warhammer still does it best; the largest army wins!

5: Flank and Rear
Any force that can get alongside, or even behind their enemies and charge gets a massive benefit, as they should do. Warhammer shows the morale-crushing affect of being hit by an enemy you can't see, or having 20 heavy cavalry thunder through your forces whilst you're still trying to hold back the enemy infantry.

4: No noob scenario
Even the traditional Pitched Battle (eg: line up and shoot/charge) requires skill. There are few armies who can sit there and shoot for the entire game, and even then they need some kind of combat assault or they'll be smashed once the melee begins.

Even in its simplest form, Warhammer requires a level of planning and thought you will rarely see on the 40K battlefield.

3: Lone characters get raped
If a lone Force Commander charges headlong into an enemy squad, so long as he kills at least once per turn he cannot be broken. In Warhammer, he's usually going to have to kill five just to tie combat!

This, combined with the serious vulnerability of lone characters vs Cannons and the like, means characters have to lead regiments, meaning they can find themselves trapped in a combat they really didn't want to be in (especially the poor mages...).

2: Less Powergaming
I have never played a Powergamer in Warhammer. I've encountered a few people who claimed to have beardy lists, but never seen them play.

This means that either Warhammer cannot be made "beardy" like 40K can, or the players just have a more mature outlook. Either way, I'm happy.

1: Anyone can kill anything
There is nothing in Warhammer that cannot be killed by regular, Str 3 Infantry. Even the largest Dragon is only T6, and whilst many Cannons and the like are T7, their crews tend to be 3-5 men, none of which wear armour. If your 30 charging troops can't kill the warmachine, they can certainly slice up the poor sods they outnumber 10:1!

Many a time have I killed Giants and the like with Str 3 troops, though admittedly it is often at great cost. As there is nothing "invincible" on the tabletop, there are few reasons to label anything as "Beardy" (although turn 1 Dragon/Griffon/Manticore mounted Lord charges are very unsporting). Even the almighty Steam Tank, probably the most powerful unit in the game, can be killed by Str 3 models!

So ditch the guns and tanks people, real men fight with swords!

On a subject of Scale:
These factors consider Warhammer vs 40K. However, what about the other games?

Necromunda vs Mordhiem:
These two games are too close to call. They are essentially the same game, only the specifics change. As such, I'm going to have to say both games are equal, with only the 40K universe making me pick Necromunda.

Epic vs Warmaster:
Now in all fairness, I have never played Warmaster. However, from what I have read, it looks to be a fun game. It is also as different from Epic as Warhammer is from 40K... but whereas 40K gets cheap and nasty, Epic doesn't. As such, these two are tied.

Gothic vs Manowar:
...Oh yes, Manowar is Out Of Production. Shame, because I love the idea of Manowar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 23 Aug 2005, 10:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: 10 Reasons why Warhammer is better than 40K

<loads cannon> What sorry? Was just checking these runes......

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 23 Aug 2005, 10:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've often been intrigued by warhammer. I still prefer thr 40k universe for the background, and especially the models. i just dont like a lot of the fantasy stuff.

hmm. i might delve into the warhammer FB background. get a taste for it.

I will disagree with you on one point wargamer. In the games of warhammer that ive seen, it was the Hq units that singlehandedly won the game with magic spells killing whole squads at a time. just like 40k.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

As a soon to be Tomb Kings player, I would say that characters are vital to even staying in the game. Most enemies tear through skeletons like they were nothing more than school children, but toss out some 3 or 4 spells a turn (and the fact that undead cause terror) and the enemy will turn to jello. Send in some Ubishi and a bone giant and now you're talking victory for the boneboys.

I think magic is much more of a game swayer than....lets say...an apothicary or a librarian.

However, I do agree that it is a fun game that is hard to powergame.

Wanax
Old 23 Aug 2005, 12:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah, Wargamer, I can always trust you to reaffirm my faith in my first love. I have always looked at Warhammer universes like car racing video games. You can always choose to play it realistically in 'simulation' mode (Fantasy), or you can play in 'arcade' mode (40k).

And I do agree with Deadnight to a point. There are some individual characters that are pretty handy, but nowhere near as much death dealing crazyness you see in 40k.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 12:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I totally agree, Fantasy is by far the superior game.

Also, a poor player will very rarely if ever beat a good player at Fantasy. With 40K it is pretty much all about the army list and target selection. In Fantasy firstly it is very had to make a beardy list in the first place but even when you do, a good player will still win with a balanced list. I think anybody that really considers themselves a great 40K player should play Fantasy for a while, it really does hit home how little thought goes into 40K games.

I started 40K and Fantasy at the same time so have always been into both systems but I much prefer Fantasy (even though the last edition was even more character heavy than 40K is now, you could have a unit champion rampage through the enemy with a magic weapon....but it was still pretty fun).

Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

on a point of order, where are the best internet sites for warhammer fantasy background etc?

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Why is this in 40k General...?

Anyways with our new empire in flames campaign at the local GW I plan on bringin in some Bretonnians
Old 23 Aug 2005, 15:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Unfortunately, I don't like a single one of the model lines in Warhammer. The only ones I like in 40k are Tau and Guard.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 15:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dangit wargamer your making me want to paint up my skaven again! Right when i was thinking of beginning the "nid restoration project" Did i mention that i love warp lightning? I tend to do my best Return of the Jedi Emperor while casting it on some hapless regiment (and wounding myself about half the time in the process)

hmmm...I guess another regiment wont bite into my time too much...
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Closed Thread