Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

GW Poster Boys
Closed Thread
Old 23 Aug 2005, 04:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Rain Send a message via MSN to Rain
Default GW Poster Boys

I don't know if this has been made yet, but if it has, mods, delete at your will. Shouldn't GW be pushing the Imperial Guard as their poster boys rather then the Space Marines?

He doesn't mourn, he doesn't cry
All he does from Dusk till Dawn
Is make the angels die
Old 23 Aug 2005, 05:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter
Default Re: GW Poster Boys

This topic is very similar to many others. In fact we had a huge "Marine bashing" thread a while back.

Perhaps when the new guard codex is released we'll see things a bit differently. In the meantime, you can help by collecting Guard.

Old 23 Aug 2005, 10:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

never gonna happen . its just so much easier for people to like marines than it is guard...every one has a hero-fascination, and marines satisfy this far better than guard. i mean, an army of proud, noble (and decidedly vicious) heroes always outnumbered and outgunned, yet still kicking ass is far cooler than a faceless legion of guys slogging it out...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
This topic is very similar to many others. In fact we had a huge "Marine bashing" thread a while back.

Perhaps when the new guard codex is released we'll see things a bit differently. In the meantime, you can help by collecting Guard.
i hope that isnt my thread that you refer to. i thought i was diplomatic about it, and my dislike for the lots of marines out there.....

meh. you are wrong. ;D (humour)

i dislike marines. as much as i prefer the idea of the poor sod of a guardsman, with just a lasgun, flak jacket and courage to call his own, who lacks godlike abilities, or weapons. all he has is his courage, and his friends to stand alongside. and he faces the alein filth that seeks to enslave humanity. its a lot more gritty than the astartes.

Still, people like kick-arse heroes. just a handful of superhuman warriors, marines, backs to the wall and still giving hell is a concept that is adored. hero-worship simply.

meh. do what i do, stick to guard if you want real heroes! not gloryboys! ;D

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 23 Aug 2005, 11:34   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Heroes...Pah. I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIV DA BOYZ!!!!

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 23 Aug 2005, 12:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

It'd would be better for the game for Guard to be the most common army and I do prefer Guard in that, as has been said, they are just a basic people with pretty much nothing but courage and faith to protect them. As Guard are probably the most seen race in the fluff it would make sense.

The problems with that though are that Guard are a harder army to learn with than Marines, harder to paint and are usually more expensive. Plus I doubt GW would be where it is if it wasn't for Marines being the 'poster boy/army'.

I still think Marines are pretty cool in how amazingly powerful they are but I prefer the Guard.

I also don't think that so many Marines armies is a problem as we all know that army distribution never will match the fluff so any talk of ' Marines are the rarest in the fluff but most common in games just doesn't make sense ' is pretty useless.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 13:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess I'll jump on the marine-bashing bandwagon. The marines should dump their GW cover boy statis and get on the cover of Celebrity Living if they think they're so special. The marines aren't as cool as the men in green. In fact, I'm starting Guard once I'm done with my Tau so they can get a slight boost of publicity.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Rain Send a message via MSN to Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I am, Just inducting them into a Daemonhunters army

He doesn't mourn, he doesn't cry
All he does from Dusk till Dawn
Is make the angels die
Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Speaking of Imperial Guard codex, will it be coming out within the next year?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 15:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I too plan to start a guard army after my Tau. Actually, it will be the first Gue'Vesa cadre. ;D

I would be very interested to watch the sales, with no army pushed more than any other, in the Asian market. I just read about a study comparing how Chinese and American people look at photographs, what details they notice and report, where their eyes go, etc. The westerners focused immediately on the focus object, rarely looking at and almost never reporting background details. The asians spent more time looking at the background and looking back and forth at background and focus, and gave more information about the background and it's relation to the focus object. The researchers drew all sorts of conclusions about individualism and community, blah blah blah, and if they're correct at all one would think that asians have less of a hero worshipping complex than westerners.

But then again, I would also like to watch the sales, with no army pushed more than any other, in the western market. Unfortunately Marines and Chaos would probably still win out due to their low model count(cheap) and versatility on the tabletop. But I think there would be less of them around, and more of the other armies.
Closed Thread