Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

GenCon and the state of Warhammer
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default GenCon and the state of Warhammer

Ok so im very very new to 40k. I fell in love with the models, despite the complexity of the game.
I made the drive to go to gencon for a day, saturday, having found out about it on thursday. I figured there would be everything magic, DnD, youname it. I expected to see warhammer 40k and watch a few agmes, politely, to try and get a firmer grasp of the rules. There were three games. Thats it. There was one booth selling warhammer 40k stuff.

I was shocked. No admitedly there wasnt a Games wrokshop respresentation at the event. But still. I had a disscussion with someone at the formerly mentioned vendors booth about warhammer 40k being in a decline in mass popularity with all the other miniature games flooding the market.

Add on top of this the exorbinant(sp?) prices of being a geek in today's time. The price of 40k being a deterent has been disscssed time and agian. But how does the game as a community seem to you? Is everything ok?I worry that it isnt. I havn't even gotten to play a game yet do to a lack of local players.

Just thought I would get some feedback. I don't mean to offend.
Ci-Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: GenCon and the state of Warhammer

We are doing fine in my area. We get tons of new players all playing SMurfs

When children goto bed they check their bedrooms for the boogie man. When the boogie man goes to bed he checks his bedroom for Chuck Norris
dog face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

GenCon and conventions like that don't have much in the way of GW there because quite frankly, GW doesn't need to be there.

It totally blows all the other miniatures games out of the water, they are nowhere near to being on the same level. Plus people at those conventions would probably be quite anti-GW (as pretty much the rest of the wargame miniatures world is).

About the prices, most miniature games are expensive, some even more so than GW.

Don't worry about GW getting run out of* by other miniature games, GW rules the roost, it is king of this market and that isn't anywhere near changing. Especially when you consider the collapse that I-Kore had not long ago, that was probably the second biggest company and they just fell [although some people have since put money back into it and it is probably as strong as it ever was again].
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

The community where I am seems ok. I'm new to the particular community even though I've been playing for awile, so I'm not sure if it's thriving or not. It might just be the places you play at. I've noticed that the size of the community is really store based. You should look into other places sometime and just see what their groups are like.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 01:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

It'd almost be corect to say that GW and it's games are a totally seperate entity from other minatures games at times. While some people might play systemes outside the GW range alot of people stay within as well. Not suprising given that the bitz can be interchanged and used for just about any of thier games(the exception being LotR)and they can cover jsut aobut any type of game you can possibly concieve. GW is top dog in many ways. Other's might be trying to challenge it but so far none come close. Probably the one I would lay best chances on right now is Warmachine but even that has a long way to go.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 01:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

GW is a very internalized community. I think I would probably much rather play another game, as I only like two model sets from GW (Tau and Guard) and I think GW does a poor job providing clear rules, and an absolutely abyssmal job at answering questions about the rules. (Yes, the "Rules boyz" are always available, but call twice in a row and you'll get two different answers...) And the codex system is disgusting.

Anyway, despite all this, I still went with GW. Mainly because they're the big dog and I wasn't sure how to start anything else. With GW you can go in to your local store several times a week, play a game, and get modelling or painting tips. The community is solid... inside GW stores and events. Still, that is head and shoulders over everybody else.

So, advantages:
  • Lots of beginner-intermediate support
  • Overwhelming presence

Disadvantages:
  • No real authority on rules available, and PLENTY of rules questions
  • Codexes ($20 for 1/16th of the game's rules)
  • Ungodly profusion of space marines making the game stale and boring much quicker than it should be

Basically, it's the mainstream. It's Dell. It's McDonald's. It's a cheeseburger dripping with delicious grease. It's easy, has plenty of problems, and a huge following. It has a presence and infrastructure, which is the mainstay of its community.
DireStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 03:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

That last paragraph, Direstrike, is one of the most eye opening descriptions of GW, even for an intermediate like myself.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 03:32   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I managed to see quite a few miniatures games at the con. Warmachine, Rezolution, Classic Battletech, Heavy Metal, and a some others. I didn't get to preview them do to a lack of time(i was there for a day due to being broke). However I managed to talk with allot of their respresentatives and get the rules explained and got free quick rules. Some of them do seem to have much much easier rules than warhammer. But they are not without there problem. Like classic battletech. Its beautifull, its mechwarrior, so it ownz...but EVERY model is made of pewter and alot of it. So its more expensive than warhammer at times. Rezolution had some beautifull mechs but the battles were much smaller, much smaller. And heavy metal is its own type of game.

40k just fills a LARGE niche in the market. Its sci-fi, its mecha, its WWII, its, ALIEN, its communist. It seems to hit on every thing. if 40k's saving grace,in my eyes,is any thing its certainly the fluff. The plot behind th everything in the universe is gigantic and capturing. It got me to play Tau.

However here in the southern INdiana/Louisville area there is only one real store. He doesnt maintain much Tau. But he has good deals and a good crowd. I get the impresion he doesnt like me for reasons I would prefer not to disscuss. However, on my campus there is only one other player. Its pretty sad in this area. Maybe its just that im in some 40k blackhole.
Ci-Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 06:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by korik1
That last paragraph, Direstrike, is one of the most eye opening descriptions of GW, even for an intermediate like myself.
and for someone like myself, its a "heard it all before and i wasn't impressed then"

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:14   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Mind you, Fangz...when are you ever impressed?

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Kangaroo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote