Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

shooting casualties clarification
Closed Thread
Old 21 Aug 2005, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default shooting casualties clarification

maybe its because im still pretty new to the game, and maybe everyone else already does this, but its a rules clarification thats got ME excited... and its something im gonna enforce at my Game Store (since its something NO ONE does that ive seen)

we've all seen it. a Tac Squad with a Missile Launcher is huddled behind a Rhino/Building.. BUT the Missile guy is peeking around the corner to still get shots off. you shoot at the unit (since one model IS visible), and after saves he takes a single Casualty. then the guy takes the meat-shield model away thats clear around the corner. uh UH! against the rules!!!

before you argue that the missile guy could have been the actual casualty, but some other marine picked up the heavy weapon, im not arguing about that: thats not the rule im talking about.

the rule im talking about is 'Torrent of Fire' (Pg 26). you know, that rule that says if you inflict more wounds than models, you get to single out a guy and make him make a saving roll there and then. no biggie i hear you say, but follow me on this:
look at "removing Casualties" on the same page: you can ONLY kill off models that are in line of sight. theres even a picture spelling it out.

i hear more argument forming up out there, so let me cut you off yet AGAIN ... when they say only units visible can take casualties.. then.. (da da dummmm!!!!! ) ONLY the visible models are considered when applying the 'Torrent of Fire' Rule!! this means that if only one model is visible (the missile peeker) and you inflict a wound...... ....... yup! it HAS to be on HIM!!

add to this clarification that the same thing applies in Close Combat... if your enemy's Space Marine Seargent with a Powerfist is out in front during a charge, and the Seargent and say only 2 other marines are in the 2" Coherency... AND you inflict 4 wounds..... you get to call out saves on the Powerfisty Seargent right then and there!! (3 engaged units, 4 wounds= Torrent)

maybe im making a mountain out of a mole-hill... and these are rare occurences, BUT people out there are doing it wrong... they just run with the Meat Shield concept and dont look at the ways it is SUPPOSED to unravel... AND newbies like me are getting walked all over for it! maybe its non-intentional, maybe its the 3rd edition way of doing thisngs.. which would explain why i see all the old veterans doing it. but, dangit! this borders on CHEATING nowadays!! sometimes the Leader or the Heavy Weapons Guy bites it when he pokes his head up, or leads from the front of a charge...

whew! wow i feel better. ;D
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: shooting casualties clarification

This was actually something new to 4th edition. Before it was you took form the squad. The 'wound for every model' and 'only models in sight' type rules were to prevent some abuses much in the way the leadership tests to see past screening units.

How ever it does open other abuses as well such as manouvering vehicles to limit which models thier squad cans ee. Technicly legal, but very unsporting and garunteed to get a 'discussion' in the back alley after game. >
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
Technicly legal, but very unsporting and garunteed to get a 'discussion' in the back alley after game. >
Ahh, more thug warhammer vigilante justice.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Anything worse than a whipping with a red measuring stick is over the top.

Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Also this think called sarcasm/humour. :-\ Guess that didn't go over as well as expected.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Oh, I see. Moving YOUR vehicles to snipe HIS men. Well, don't keep those powerfists on the outside corner! =D Nah, that would be cheap.

I thought you meant to protect your own squads. That wouldn't be unsporting.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes I ment this:
[quote=DireStrike]
Oh, I see. Moving YOUR vehicles to snipe HIS men. Well, don't keep those powerfists on the outside corner! =D Nah, that would be cheap.[quote]
Not this:
Quote:
I thought you meant to protect your own squads. That wouldn't be unsporting.
The last is quuite sporting and half the reason for taking vehicles. Heck, having seen the conflict tables i understnad why some people take vehicles just so they are garanteed some cover on the field. :-\

Closed Thread