Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Unit Cohesion question.
Closed Thread
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Unit Cohesion question.

Hi, I am new to W40k, well I'm new to it now, I used to play it when I was much younger and have started playing along with my kids (I just cant resist SMurfs).
Last night while playing my son had a untit of 2 landspeeders, one was damaged and crew stunned, meaning it was unable to move, but we could not find out if the other land speeder would have to linger about for it, we decided that until we could check with some guruesq types that we would say it did, but a couple of turns later the speeder was hit again and imobalised, still with the second land speeder, completly unharmed but hovering close by.
It seems strange that even though they were a unit one would be stuck by another in the unit being unable to move.
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of an answer, or better yet know what happens in the situation?

Great site, been reading it for a week or so now, so much to digest!

Thanks.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Unit Cohesion question.

I am about 90% certain they still have to stay in coherency even if one cannot move for a turn as they should act like any other normal unit. However just remember, if a skimmer like a Landspeeder gets immobilised, it is blown up if it has moved over 6" the previous turn.

Edit: I have found out what the exact ruling is now - page 73 of your rulebook will explain it - basically you can either stay in coherency with the damaged vehicle (4" rather than 2" for a squadron of vehicles) or you can leave it behind and it will automatically count as destroyed.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 10:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

On a related note can 2 XV8s in a unit be on opposite sides of a wall but still within 2" and still count as being in unit coherancy ?

also if they can and 1 is hit with a blast type weapon will the other be protescted if the wall is higher than the model ?

the reason i ask is in a game a while back i had 2 XV8s in a hq squad in some ruins standing on eather side of a wall (2 stories high) and one was hit with a missile launcher (frag) and my opponent clamed that both were hit as both would be under the blast marker but i felt the one on the other side of the wall would be protected from the blast.

* This xv8 hit with missile
----------- 2 story wall
| * second XV8 - would this one be hit with blast

Thanks for any help
Old 19 Aug 2005, 11:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

I am pretty sure that

a) You can put them on both side of the wall

and

b) The blast marker ignores all scenery

Dont quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that it is right
Old 19 Aug 2005, 12:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Yep - I'm sure templates ignore scenery when working out what's hit...
Old 19 Aug 2005, 12:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If the wall is of the size you desribe I don't think the suits are in coherency. The rulebook states that they must be in an 'imaginary chain', with each link of the chain no more than 2". Now if going over this wall and landing to where the other crisis suits is measures more than 2" they aren't in coherency. Tracing a line of the chain back round the wall will mean they are out of 2" coherency.

Do you get me? In my opinion it comes to common sense that coherency really requires LoS between models...although there is nothing to back up either opion to solid fact.

Old 19 Aug 2005, 14:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

but XV8s can jump over the wall so the distance is direct not round the wall i think - not totally sure though
Old 19 Aug 2005, 15:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlster
Hi, I am new to W40k, well I'm new to it now, I used to play it when I was much younger and have started playing along with my kids (I just cant resist SMurfs).
Last night while playing my son had a untit of 2 landspeeders, one was damaged and crew stunned, meaning it was unable to move, but we could not find out if the other land speeder would have to linger about for it, we decided that until we could check with some guruesq types that we would say it did, but a couple of turns later the speeder was hit again and imobalised, still with the second land speeder, completly unharmed but hovering close by.
It seems strange that even though they were a unit one would be stuck by another in the unit being unable to move.
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of an answer, or better yet know what happens in the situation?

Great site, been reading it for a week or so now, so much to digest!

Thanks.
Earlster, as a guard player I have encountered this a number of time with sentinels, the rules state that you DO NOT have to stay in coherency with a squadron just because one is immobilised... however, a unit with a crew stunned does have to wait. Think of it as though they are waiting to regroup the squardon before attacking again.

Of course with Land Speeders, an immobilised is a destroyed so no worries there.

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 19 Aug 2005, 16:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E
but XV8s can jump over the wall so the distance is direct not round the wall i think - not totally sure though
A two story wall is too big for a crisis suit to jump over in my opinion, as it would require movement of over 2" to get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian_1369
Earlster, as a guard player I have encountered this a number of time with sentinels, the rules state that you DO NOT have to stay in coherency with a squadron just because one is immobilised... however, a unit with a crew stunned does have to wait. Think of it as though they are waiting to regroup the squardon before attacking again.

Of course with Land Speeders, an immobilised is a destroyed so no worries there.
When a vehicle is either immobilised or stunned in the squadron there are two options (I am speaking from the rulebook here) - stay in coherency with it, or abandon it and it will be removed as a casualty instantly.

Oh and skimmers moving less than 6" per turn crash land when they are immobilised and do not blow up.

Old 19 Aug 2005, 20:12   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Graendal

Land Speeders need to maintain unit cohersion even if one is crew stunned, however the crew stunned land Speeder will drift forward alittle allowing you to move a small amount.
as for the other questions, unit coherency is maintained by being within 2'' with another model of a unit. So the crisis suits will still be in coherency even through the wall.