Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

best army
Closed Thread
Old 18 Aug 2005, 11:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zee666
Default best army

im think since this a tau site most of the people on here will like the tau the best but which is the best army

Well people can't be per.. ooh look a penny.

No don't run, I just want to cut off your face.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 11:31   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: best army

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee666
im think since this a tau site most of the people on here will like the tau the best but which is the best army
Arbites or Genestealer Cult; if you can win with them, and win regularly against fair opponents (not Powergamers, as neither army can gear worth a damn) you're the greatest 40K player in the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

There is no best army. It is all entirely based on opinion and how you run your army. You could have a beefed-up Space Marine army, but a Tau, Imperial Gaurd, or Eldar army could negate their saves and kill off their low numbers. Orks and Tyranids? Anything with lots of high-attack guns or Ordnance weapons can kill them off. So there is also a rock-paper-scissors included in there, strengthening the fact that all armies are equal.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're assuming that the best player in the world was using an army, and you wanted to know what would yield the most wins against an open field - I would go with Dark Eldar. They have a high learning curve, but they have all the tools in place to be the strongest army in the game.

Orks and Tyranids? Anything with lots of high-attack guns or Ordnance weapons can kill them off. So there is also a rock-paper-scissors included in there, strengthening the fact that all armies are equal.

Fire a battle cannon at a cluster of nids, kill 50 points. Fire a battle cannon at a spread out marine squad, kill 50 points. Fire the same cannon at orks and hope the blast doesn't pass through gretchen or any of their other numerous cover saves. If you haven't tried it before, please do because I weekly fire battlecannons at swarms and first of all I have to hit, roll partials and then try to avoid 1's and hope they can't gain the benefit of cover. That is a pretty decent string of dice to go through to kill off some troops that cannot be pinned and will be on your second turn, at least in the nid's case. You honestly would be better of firing your 9 BS3 heavy bolters against swarms, not dropping high strength ordnance on them.

Also hunter, DE isn't my favorite list but I can spot the raw power in the list. No one plays the army because the learning curve is too high, not because it's underpowered.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

We all have our favorites, but there is no Best army. Bear this in mind and this thread will go well.

State your favorites and why, don't try and convince anyone else that their favorite is wrong, and Mister Smite Hammer will saty in the cupboard.

Favorites? Marines and Tyranids.
Both have high levels of bio-engineering.

Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

That is true. All armies are great, all armies effectivness is based on how and what you use.

But if there was a choice, id say Dark Eldar when used properly, just dont liie the models.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

What would you change about the models?

Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
We all have our favorites, but there is no Best army. Bear this in mind and this thread will go well.
That's a pretty definitive statement to make. I'm positive there is a "best" army in 40k, but it is my *opinion* it is dark eldar. I'm not the most experienced player in the world, so of course I cannot be 100% sure.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 18 Aug 2005, 22:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
What would you change about the models?
In my opinion the models are a bit to pointy and spiky! I see Dark Eldar as much more smooth and fluid, it can still keep the evil theme. Check out the Dark Elf model range in fantasy and you will see what I mean.

Old 18 Aug 2005, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Best as in power.........then I would say Iron Warriors or Eldar (if you are willing to abuse the lists a little).

But my favourite army are Arbites so I would say they are the best.

Tau are also quite a cool army to play. Not enough Tau players in the UK.

'Arbites or Genestealer Cult; if you can win with them, and win regularly against fair opponents (not Powergamers, as neither army can gear worth a damn) you're the greatest 40K player in the universe.'

My Arbites haven't lost yet ;D [although I have only had about 15 games with them], although they have played against Nids, Necrons a few times, Salamanders a few times and Iron Warriors a few times.