Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Anti-Marine Army
Closed Thread
Old 14 Aug 2005, 07:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Anti-Marine Army

I'm thinking of trying to compose a list for an Anti-Marine army, designed to tear through power armor and destroy other Marine models. But to start, which army do you think I should use. Tau is a possiblity, but I wanted feedback on a race that could carry the job out better.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 07:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The Anti-Marine Army

Orks cuz we can swamp em and loot der tanks a blowdem upz!

actually I think necrons
Old 14 Aug 2005, 08:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

I would go for tau, pureley for firepower, your problem would be though: can you mow 'em down before they get into CC? you could go Biel-Tan and aspect them to death

your decision, but that's what i think. Tau, or Eldar army with lots of Aspect Warriors

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 14 Aug 2005, 08:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

thats it!

a biel-tan firewind army, all hail fire dragons!
Old 14 Aug 2005, 08:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

In one of my anti marine threads, I tried to make suggest that fighting marines is as much a factior of knowing your own army and focusing your fire, as much as it is about what you take. Barring that, there are a few things to consider.

What *kind* of marines do you expect to fight against? Though there are many weapons that will cut through power armor, there are certain "platforms" and specific abilities that help against certain kinds of marine players.

My three favored races (personal opinion) for fighting the marines would probably be:

Eldar
Orcs
Tau

Each one would fare well against certain kinds of marines, yet do poorly against others.

Ulthwé eldar is potentially very nasty against marines. They have a capacity for maxing out and optimizing starcannons that can be considered pretty beardy. Add "Mind War" to their repitoire, and they can snipe very expensive commander units. Starcannons, with some banshees, and some psy powers, makes for a very unfriendly marine gnashing maw of ouchies.

Orcs, classic marine enemies that they are, can do very well against the marines, provided they're well played, and the marine player isn't 100% adapted to countering them. Whirlwinds and frag missiles will punch holes in large orc formations, but a more common, high-powered marine army will experience many problems fighting orcs. Most marine players I know tend to use las-cannons over missile launchers. (Though I tend to see the missile launchers get put to better use). One of the keys to orc might is the humble choppa. Choppas reduce marine armor saves, and vastly increases their mortality rate. If you face a marine player who's a fan of terminators and expensive elite units, a handfull of boyz will treat them to an unexpected thrashin'. Just make sure you get the charge!

Tau... I'm not going to lie here. They kinda suck against the marines on paper. Their save-negating weapons come in very low volume, and have a large overhead for reliability. In order to mass str 5 shots, you need to get into perilous rapid-fire range, which will mean a bloody exchange of fire on both accounts, and it also puts you close enough to be assaulted. Basic marines aren't close combat monsters, but compared to the Tau, each one of them might as well be a terminator. The main reason why I suggest them is because they have a unique capacity for fighting "with one mind." Tau are great at focusing their fire, and running around. Marines can be fast, but where they're fact, they are rarely fast in great quantity. If the Tau can crush that advantage, they can dance around with low to moderate losses.

I'm sure other armies have their counters to the marines, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind, and also tend to appeal to me the most ;D

I'm sure a tweaked out Iron Warriors list, though broken, is especially effective against marines. The marines simply don't have the large volume of targets, or mobility needed to "saturate" their sickening firepower. Getting shot at by 10 krak missiles, and 10 heavy bolters a turn, as well as being bombed by 2 or 3 power-armor piercing pie-plates will do a number on marines. Oh yeah, did I forget the obliterators?
Old 14 Aug 2005, 09:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm. My attitude would be to go with eldar, if you want a pure anti marine list.

All types, except iyanden possibly can be perfectly tweaked to destroy the emperors mighty.

Biel-tan: take howling banshees, and reapers for troops. give them exarchs, plus those exarch powers. Back them up with wraithlords, guardian/ warwalker starcannons and bright lances. and the whole plethora of eldar vehicles. read: fire prism specifically. and guide can make all their shots count...

Ulthwe: Seer council psychic powers. black guardian starcannons, bright lances. eldar vehicles. and so forth.

Alaitoc: pathfinders. rangers. those nasty sniper rules, and that pesky disruption table.

my second choice would be dark eldar. Purely for wyches (damn those wych weapons are nasty!) and those disintigrators on those stupidly cheap raiders. ooh, and 100point warrior squads with 2 dark lances. Onscenely vicious.

And if you want to annoy him still further, take a few packs of kroot mercs! you can give them nasty upgrades, like initiative 4, or toughness 4 and plenty other nastiness. And as they can infiltrate, they can bring a lot to the table for eldar.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dark reapers?

They're reallt good against marines in dawn of war! :P
Old 14 Aug 2005, 12:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Saim-Hann eldar. Shoot starcannons, hide, repeat.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 17:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Eldar looks promising. How about using Wraithlords versus marines? Will it be a nuisence like it usually is, or are they not good versus the Marines. And BTW, what are the stats for the Star Cannon.

I personally don't like Orks. Their basic troops can't shoot for their life and their overall comical fluff doesn't appeal to me. How about Dark Eldar? Do they fare against SMurfs better than Eldar?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 18:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Eldar are the best army for beating Marines in the game if you are willing to be beardy.

Just pack your force full of Starcannons:

10 Guardians:
Starcannon

10 Guardians:
Starcannon

9 Guardians:
Starcannon

Wraithlord:
Brightlance

Wraithlord:
Brightlance

Vyper:
Starcannon, Spirit Stones

Vyper:
Starcannon, Spirit Stones

4 Dark Reapers

1000 Points

Thats 23 shots a turn at S5 or better and AP3 or better. Then you have two Bright Lances for tank hunting. Plus you have 3 units that are very good in close combat, the Wraithlords and the Avatar.