Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is a 40k 4x game feasible?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Aug 2005, 22:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Is a 40k 4x game feasible?

We all know of 4x games, the ones where you build a space empire and go to war with other empires. Among the classics include Reach for the Stars, Master of Orion, and so on. Would it be feasible to create a 4x game based in the 40k universe, where you have the main playable factions (Imperium, Tau, Biel-Tan, Goff Orks, Tyranids, Black Legion, etc) with minor races (of which either can be recruited as mercenaries, fought as opponents, etc.) and random events (Space Hulks bringing new technology, internal revolt, Nurgle plagues, etc), or would it be too difficult.

Try talking about how to balance the powers out (e.g. Imperium is more subject to uprising, and a lot of it's forces must be placed to quell insurgents, Tau are slow and take forever to travel in space, Eldar have population penalties.), or about how game mechanics would work.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 22:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Is a 40k 4x game feasible?

I think that would be pretty cool.
Some ideas: Imperium-you have to sacrafice 1000 souls every day for the golden throne.
Eldar- you can use the webway to launch surprise attacks and expand your territory.
Chaos-If you lose a planet, the chaos gods smite your general.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 22:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

If you mean as a videogame, it's certainly a possible thing, but would encounter some small problems on some levels I think.

As an actual 40k campaign, you can sort of do it, in a campaign. It's more of a narrative campaign, and takes a long time. Such a campaign can actually be organised online, but the Mass campaigns fought thus far have been too large-sclae to really organise such thing. Basically, if you have it so there's a sort of 'DM' player, to enforce rules and decide the plot, and also provide the NPC foes for the bits before the empires fight, you can do it. So, if you keep it small scale and don't try to make it too big, and have it focused not on a galactic empire but efforts to get, say, a world into one, it might work better.

Like, for example, a world with a single continent. The continent has a lot of areas, and each area may be occupied by an army, like Orks or something. The NPC/DM player, when people attack an area, plays orks. The rules could maybe have 2 DM's, for six players, (4 playing) and a turn system.the turns have a number of actions. You can only ever launch one attack, have limited forces, and start with, say, 10,000 points to spend, and can buy an army. You need to pay to replace lost units, and can have up to 4 armies. You can alos maybe see other units involved, like defenses, artillery, resource gathering, etc...

It would probably need a lot of work form the DM's and even the players, but as a long-term thing, if you pulled it off, it would porbably be great fun.

Balancing it all might be down to what the players all think, but basically, such a thing's a long term project really.

Old 11 Aug 2005, 01:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydudeman
I think that would be pretty cool.
Some ideas: Imperium-you have to sacrafice 1000 souls every day for the golden throne.
Eldar- you can use the webway to launch surprise attacks and expand your territory.
Chaos-If you lose a planet, the chaos gods smite your general.
The way I was thinking of this was as a turn-based game of course. You have a strategic phase, then a battle phase. In the strategic phase, you manage the empire, order planet production, set taxation rates, etc, going forth to quell insurrection, order your fleet movements, etc. The battle phase would be you tactically fighting other ships BFG-style, but strategic deployment is key as the more prepared force will have more ships in the battle. If fighting for a planet, then the planet may contribute any defence fire. If all fire has been silenced, the invader may choose to bombard/invade the planet. This of course is auto-resolved as a dice roll, but certain factors may come into play (e.g. Marines get a die roll bonus, or Tau have the ability to evacuate civilians, etc).
Old 12 Aug 2005, 10:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Ah right, so its only on a space level.

Sounds cool except I don't have gothic...

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 12 Aug 2005, 19:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

If rome total war ever got easy enough to mod, it might be worthwhile making something like this for it. It already has a system for units with both ranged and melee combat, charges, moral, the use of terrain, etc. Would have to think of a way to make the vehicles, but they would probably work on the same principle as either the elephants with the archers on top or the siege weapons. All bike and cavalry options would probably have to use the same system as the cavalry did in the game... And I am not sure about space battles. Might be interesting to see if it could work...
Closed Thread