Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vehicles are weak
Closed Thread
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to smilingyello Send a message via MSN to smilingyello Send a message via Yahoo to smilingyello
Default Vehicles are weak

I was playing a game the other day, and as i play with the Tau, I had an army with two HH and a unit of 3 Broadsides. My friend was using the Eldar, he had at least what seemed like a dozen vehicles, i don't remember what they were called. And well either i don't fully understand how vehicles work or my HH and Broadsides were actually wiping the floor with what i think was 1000 pts of his army. Now did i play that right or are there more rules. eg: railgun S10 AP1 so, so long as i scored a glancing it was penetrating? and all i had to do was roll higher than a 3? his army was 12 on fronts and sides which is what i found to be okay, but then again i don't know, my HH had 13 in front and 12 on side, and he didn't have a weapon strong enough on his tank to take me out, but he eventually got it...once >
could somebody please help me with this, i don't think i fully understand these vehicles, i understand movement and shooting, but the shooting at vehicles that moved a lot and skimmer fast rule or whatever i am lost.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:31   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Vehicles are weak

Skimmers that move more than 6" cannot suffer Penetrating hits. Ever. No Exceptions. At all. Whatsoever.

It also sounds like your opponent wasn't doing very well... or had no clue how to use his equipment. Frankly, a Hammerhead has the survival chances of a fish in the sahara once the Falcon or Fire Prism starts firing. Eldar tanks, when equipped for tank hunting, are deadly in the extreme. A Falcon with Brightlance and Holofields are the bane of all tanks... can't be glanced, stupidly fast, armed with the best tank-killing guns in 40K (screw raw power... there's more to tank-hunting than sheer size) are a nightmare for all to face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tanks in 40k are way to easy to kill with anything.

Tanks are near uselss, there almost a burdom to take.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to smilingyello Send a message via MSN to smilingyello Send a message via Yahoo to smilingyello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer

It also sounds like your opponent wasn't doing very well... or had no clue how to use his equipment. Frankly, a Hammerhead has the survival chances of a fish in the sahara once the Falcon or Fire Prism starts firing. Eldar tanks, when equipped for tank hunting, are deadly in the extreme. A Falcon with Brightlance and Holofields are the bane of all tanks... can't be glanced, stupidly fast, armed with the best tank-killing guns in 40K (screw raw power... there's more to tank-hunting than sheer size) are a nightmare for all to face.
i think he set up his tanks to take out my battle suits, AP2's and Str7 8's
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:40   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor

You must be the worst Tank Commander in the 40K universe.

My Demolisher, on average, takes six Lascannons during the course of any battle... and has a 90% survival ratio. My other tanks have similar records.

My Griffon Mortar once earnt nearly 300 points from one shot... and it's a 75 point vehicle.

My Baneblade brings unholy terror to anyone who faces them.

My Marauder Destroyer is so amazingly awesome, and it's a Flyer.

My Mockingbird and Raider usually survive the battle, and even if they don't earn their points back, they play merry hell with enemy tactics. Best of all, players waste loads of "light" weapons trying to kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That is, of course, when they are facing AV13+.

I would say Falcon/Hammerhead was pretty even. *The Hammerhead has the advantage of accuracy (I think) and raw penetrating power (S10 really does the trick). *The Falcon (or Fire Prism) will find it a little harder to damage the Hammerhead (though it's still likely), but has the edge in ignoring the damage with its upgrades. *Only thing that then breaks the deadlock is the fact Eldar are ALOT faster then Tau, but then can't fire. *So in the end it's pretty even.

Before you add in Crystal Targetting Matrices. *These are VERY annoying, as the Eldar can then play the JSJ game with their tanks like the Tau can with their Battlesuits. *This will cost alot though, so things are still fairly even points-wise.

But don't make the mistake of thinking you can beat the Eldar through sheer power - you can't. *You need to think and press the attack on them and force them to fight on your own terms. *Remember, you will outrange them considerably - make use of Disruption Pods! *The Eldar will have to close to 30" to fire Bright Lances, forcing them to come to you - reducing their own possible cover to hide behind, stretching their forces out and leaving you in range with your closer ranged Crisis Suits.

Tanks are not weak by any stretch of the imagination. *They just take tactical thinking (and the ability to roll more then 1's - that's why I gave up using Imperial Vehicles!).

~Andromidius
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

while i did find that his tanks doing that thing with the jump packs that battlesuits can do annoying i did eventually kill the two that had them with my sms, and the diruption pod? i thought that could only go on the divilfish, i must be mistaken, woohoo now i can beat him for sure. He really just learned how to use tanks that mission so he didnt supply them properly
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Wargammer it seems that a bunch of those pepole your facing with your tanks have never played aganist one. *They should use haevy fire.

My army with 3 hamers and 12 dievil fish useally takes three causaties always. I send them in as suacide units.

I borawed my friends armored company with 3 baskalicks and 30 Chimireas didn't lose a single tank all day.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

We can continue the personal accolades later.

First off, that Eldar player you mentioned didn't sound all that skilled in the use of his vehicles. These sound like either Vypers or possibly just Jetbikes. Vypers can be easy to take down, they have only armour 10, which is an automatic penetraing hit for a Railgun. However, if he uses these properly and gives them one or two upgrades they can be incredibly hard to take down.

For example, equipped with holo-fields and Crystal-targetting matrices, a vyper can move 6" out of cover, fire a S8 Lance weapon, and then float 6" into different cover without letting you take a single shot at it. If you do manage to take a shot at it, you'll only be able to glance it as it is a skimmer, and then you'll have to roll two dice for damage and take the lowest.
So Eldar vehicles can be used properly. Fine.

Now then, I reccomend you read the vehicles section of the rulebook. Everything from page 58 to page 73. The Shooting-at-Fast-Skimmer rule is on page 69, bear in mind that your opponenst light vehicles are also open-topped, so will get +1 to any roll on the damage charts.

Vehicles can be incredibly useful, both as gun-platforms or transports. I think you will find that going up against an opponent who knows how to get the most out of their army will show you this in a very painful manner.

Old 10 Aug 2005, 22:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor

You must be the worst Tank Commander in the 40K universe.

My Demolisher, on average, takes six Lascannons during the course of any battle... and has a 90% survival ratio. My other tanks have similar records.

My Griffon Mortar once earnt nearly 300 points from one shot... and it's a 75 point vehicle.

My Baneblade brings unholy terror to anyone who faces them.

My Marauder Destroyer is so amazingly awesome, and it's a Flyer.

My Mockingbird and Raider usually survive the battle, and even if they don't earn their points back, they play merry hell with enemy tactics. Best of all, players waste loads of "light" weapons trying to kill it!
Its just too easy to destroy a tank, come on, 1+ something bad happens.
Closed Thread