Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tank shock ?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Aug 2005, 18:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default tank shock ?

Hey guys, I have tried on a couple other boards to get a definative answer but no one has really been able to provide one.

On the tank shock rule in the BBB it says that any models which would be under the vehicle have to be moved by "the shortest possible route". The other night in a game I tank shocked a troop the was on a neutral board edge. The shortest route would have been off of the board. If this is the case does that unit have to leave the board or can it move to someplace else? Thanks in advance. Jestor
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: tank shock ?

I'd say in that circumstance, the model either flees the battle, or is crushed trying to get out of the way. Count him as a casualty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Lets see here. If they leave the board they can't come back and would count as a casualty. If the shortest way out from "under" the vehicle is to leave the board, they would take it. Moral of the story, keep away from the board edges around tanks.

What else? Ah yes. Check to see if you could move the units backwards away from the tank, if the tank only just reaches you then you might be able to move the whole unit backwards by 1 or 2", instead of to the side by about 3" to get out of the path.

Old 11 Aug 2005, 01:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Instead of giving opinions, let's see what the rulebook says, shall we?

Page 70:
Quote:
If a unit is overrun by a tank, and individual models would end up underneath the vehicle, they must be moved out of the way by the shortest distance (Maintaining Unit Coherancy), but otherwise the unit is unharmed.
1) If you push them off the board and count them as a casualty, then you have broken the rule, since it says that they are otherwise unharmed.* Destroying the unit and taking it out of the game definately counts as harm.

2) You have to maintain coherency, which would mean that it would be pretty rare to force all of them off of the table anyway, because you tank shock in a straight line.* So, even if you could force them off the board and destroy them, you would have to be able to move the entire unit, because if even one was not caught by the tank shock, you would not be able to move any of the others off the table without breaking the rule to maintain coherency.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 04:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

this one is icky... since fallback rules and deep strike scatter rules state that if any one model leaves a table edge, the whole unit is removed (!) the 4th ed rulebook even stated in a designers note: "This is a purposely harsh ruling to discourage players hugging table edges too closely with their forces instead of getting into the thick of the action" ref. P49, bottom rt corner

so, erm.. tough! tank shock them edge huggers out of the game i say!
Old 11 Aug 2005, 07:59   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

There are/were also rules stating that if a unit is Tank Shocked, and has nowhere to go (eg: they can't go around, or fall back far enough to escape the tank) they are all wiped out. This "off the board" rule seems a logical extension of this rule... and as stated above, it does stop edge-hugging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Aug 2005, 22:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My question is, couldn't they be moved to the side? I often end up having my vehicle partially encircled by guys as the troops in the way move to the side after passing their moral check. If necessary the entire squad could move to one side. If they failed their moral check and fell back off the board edge then they are destroyed.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 21:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Note that this is only a special case here, namely a unit on the board edge is tank shocked by a unit coming along the edge.

To avoid this:
a) kill any and all tanks on sight.
b) don't get closer than 5" or so to the table edge.

Closed Thread