another one bites the dust
Closed Thread
Old 09 Aug 2005, 16:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default another one bites the dust

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8536

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...4&page=1&pp=10

It seems Pete Haines is leaving GW.

Meh, i won't shed any tears. the iron warriors rules attest to that.
Mark Gibbons seems to have left too

So, seeking greener passtures, or jumping a sinking ship?

From what i read, GW had some issues over money, and is trying to tighten the strings. seekt he links for more info...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 09 Aug 2005, 16:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aun Ukos
Default Re: another one bites the dust

I wonder if this will affect the new codex's?
Old 09 Aug 2005, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I will be hyper pissed if GW starts folding. >

Wanax
Old 09 Aug 2005, 17:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Well, I'm not stunned. GW's recent buisness practises have done nothing but run themselves into the ground, but I'm actually a little surprised it's all going wrong so quickly. The LotR debacle and the Warhammer Online disaster as well as the basic economic worries right now becuase of a possible looming oil crisis may all be contributing to a finiancial crisis for GW... that they aren't handling very well. Quality of the product is deteriorating, prices are rising, and thats just not a nice economic situation.

Still, there's not much more information to go on than rumours or hearsay right now, so I'll refrain from fixed comments upon the situation, but will say it's rather wprrying that the more expereicned staff are jumping ship just as the latest rules and releases look to be going down moron lane.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Rely? I thought people were clammoring for the new nids. Local store can't keep it all stocked. I thought they were going in the right direction myself, but then I'm a recent convert from historical gaming where it has been on an iron lung for two decades.

Wanax
Old 09 Aug 2005, 18:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Thank God Pete Haines is leaving! When I heard that he might do the new ork codex, I was scared. After he massacred the chaos codex, I was afraid of what he might do to a codex with only a few things wrong with it.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 21:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

If these are not just rumours, then I'm sure that lots of news about this will come out at some stage.

Bear in mind that GW is largely fluid, it is rare for anybbody to be part of the company for long any more, the days of Jerv, Andy, Gav and Rick are long gone.

Agreed that they are putting profit before ethos, but then thats the story of the modern times.

Please keep this thread on the subject of vanishing games designers, if you want to create rumours on the demise of GW, then go to the Enclave.

Old 10 Aug 2005, 04:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Then again, the loss of one member of the staff opens opportunities for other talented individuals to come into the fray. I see so many people complain and moan about the state of the company, how GW could be folding or collapsing, pfft. First rule of business, you're only as good as your consumer base. I'm finding it harder and harder to move in my local GW stores, even the independant stockists are expanding their ranges of models. So it's perfectly safe to say that the consumer base is growing at speed.

We are all passionate about our hobby, and a percentage of us have some talent in the areas GW needs, a percentage of those have the drive to actually look for jobs in the company, and a percentage of those have the spirit to take them into the upper echelons of management. So excuse me if I seem optimistic, but if the consumer base is growing (which it is), then doesn't it seem logical that the pool of talent is large enough to support the future. No company ever has a perfect record, so while GW may not seem to be ruling the world, it is surviving despite all these doom sayers. I'm still buying, I'm still painting, I'm still playing and I'm still introducing people to the hobby. All I need now is a decent resume and a place near Melbourne and I'll work myself in.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 07:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
Well, I'm not stunned. GW's recent buisness practises have done nothing but run themselves into the ground, but I'm actually a little surprised it's all going wrong so quickly. The LotR debacle and the Warhammer Online disaster as well as the basic economic worries right now becuase of a possible looming oil crisis may all be contributing to a finiancial crisis for GW... that they aren't handling very well. Quality of the product is deteriorating, prices are rising, and thats just not a nice economic situation.

Still, there's not much more information to go on than rumours or hearsay right now, so I'll refrain from fixed comments upon the situation, but will say it's rather wprrying that the more expereicned staff are jumping ship just as the latest rules and releases look to be going down moron lane.
LotR i know about...
Warhammer online?
looming oil crisis makes a little sense, but in fairness, GW will jus pass it on to us (as they always do...)
Quality of their stuff IMo is better than its ever been. Do you seriously wish to return to the era of the screamer killer, and original dreadnoughts?

Pete Haines was probably my least favourite developer, due to his ability to leave long facial hair on any army he helped develop....

Its interesting. Gw seems to want to go in a new direction, and it seems those who helped make 3rd ed are leaving. First Chambers (and a lot of old timers cheered when he left, as he "destroyed" the game...) and now Haines.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 10 Aug 2005, 08:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Warhammer Online was a huge debacle. And LOTR was never meant to last like fantasy or 40k was. The scouring of the shire is the final nail in the coffin for that franchise i'd like to believe.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Closed Thread