Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mega Battles!/Largest Game:
Closed Thread
Old 08 Aug 2005, 21:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Mega Battles!/Largest Game:

I know that this has been done before but IIRC it was a good while back and we have about 1000 extra members now. Plus giant huge games always interest me (playing 40K on a scale that isn't pretty much just a glorified skirmish, plus I'm easily amused ).

For me the largest battle (40K at least) that I have ever put together was a 4 way 5500 points aside game. So 22000 Points.

I was using : Ulthwe with a large Harlequin allied contingent [This was a combination of my Ulthwe and Harlequin army, one of the other players Harlequin army, one of the other players Vanilla Eldar army].

Another player was using : Space Marines [This consisted of the players pretty large Black Templar force that had 3 Land Raiders, another mates Space Wolves, his army was at my place so we used it. Plus some of my Marine force].

The third player used : Chaos Space Marines [This consisted of his quite frankly disturbing Chaos army, disturbing in the sheer amount of usually strange conversions, then again this guys nickname is 'Rob the Vile'. Plus parts of my two Chaos armies].

The fourth used : A mix of none Space Marine, Imperial forces [This included his Armoured Company, Rob the Viles Guard infantry army, my Arbites and this guys Sisters of Battle force].
__________________________________________________ _________________________

The table (floor in this case) was a square (as any other shape would have made the game the less balanced). I can't quite remember the size but as you can imagine it would have to be quite big.

The mission was pretty much the Carnage scenario. Random game length (start rolling on 4th turn) etc.

The objective was a huge bunker network/fortress in the centre of the board.

My fast Harlequin contingent veered left towards the Chaos force, Chaos are after all what the Harlequins are sworn to fight. So about 2000 points of Harlequins faced off against the might of the Chaos force and caused horrendous damage, by the time the only remaining element of the Chaos army (the Nurgle element) had broke though the Harlequin assault the game was as good as over, so my dancing clowns pretty much took the Chaos out of the game.

My infiltrating Striking Scorpians and Rangers took the objective early. The Scorps fending off Space Marine Scouts who had also infiltrated into the objective and after that my Rangers were free to shoot anything advancing on the objective.

My heavy elemets focussed on the Imperial Force (as they couldn't see the Chaos due to the big swirling combat with the Harlequins and they couldn't see the Marines as they were in the opposite corner and blocked by the objective). So my Reapers opened up and my Wraitlords, Tanks, Vypers moved in on them, shooting as they went. This part of my force was blasted apart eventually by their superior firepower.

The Marine force also had his fire-base focus on the Imperial Force and with my heavy fire-power also hitting them, they lost too much to be a real contender for the objective.

My infantry led by a large Seer Council headed for the objective. Most made it by about turn three as I knew the game could possibly finish on turn 4 with a bad dice roll.

Seeing this, in the fourth turn the Marines launched a mechanised assault on the objective. 3 Land raiders, 2 Rhinos and some deepstriking units hitting the objective in one turn. A large close combat fight ensued with my Seer Council and Aspects doing quite a bit of damage. I also had my turn in which my Guardians tried to cleanse the objective with Shuriken fire. Most of the Marines were killed besides Logan Grimnar with a large Terminator contingent and a fair few Assault Marines.

We rolled to see if the game would go on.......it ended.

My Eldar won through thanks to the large Seer Council and clear out job that the Guardians did.

So, whats your largest game and how did it go?, I don't mind if your biggest game is only 2000 Points aside, I'd still like to know.

Veq.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 21:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter
Default Re: Mega Battles!/Largest Game:

Nothing that huge, mostly a 3-player game of 1200 points a side.

How long did that take?

Old 08 Aug 2005, 21:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Too long lol.

We was lucky that we rolled what we did for random game length because we was going to be chucked out of the kitchen by family soon anyway : as we was running about 2 hours late. It was mainly the setting up and making our lists that took us ages.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

*breaks down into wracking sobs*

I....I've never had a game with more than...than two players....1000 points.....

*sobs again*

*wails*
And I cant even remember whether I won or not!

I probably lost though...

*wails again*
I always lose!

Old 08 Aug 2005, 23:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

The biggest match that I have played was a three player 1000 pt match. My Tau versus a friends SM versus another Tau player.

I was on one side, the other Tau were in the corner on the same side as me, and the SM were on the corner opposite the other Tau player. So I was sandwiched between the two, but alot closer to the SMs.

The mission was to control a chemical plant in the centre of the map. Only the SM player actually went for it. I fired my Railhead at the other Tau while the rest of my army battered the SM. The SMs got inside the plant but were then systematically shreded by a combination of the other Tau's FW and Crisis suits. The other Tau won the match because they shreded the command squad and I came in second.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 09 Aug 2005, 00:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

At my local GW one friday there were 12 tau playes total in the store. they gathered up the tau and some other non tau people and started a giant mega battle. it was about 20000 points of tau. about 400 fire warriors, nearly 50 battle suits and about 8 hammer heads(more or less just a guess) against about 15000 points of marines, chaos, crons, nids,etc. to make it fair all the non tau players toops had sustained assault.(it was scary SO much tau)
Old 09 Aug 2005, 01:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Today I played a 3v3, 1000 point each game. Ambush, my Tau, another player with Marines, and a third with some flaming falcons VS 2 ultramarine players and a marines errant player. They were the defenders. The middle of the board was a sea of blue. The one detail I want to mention was that the flaming falcon librarian was in a perfect position to use his line-splash psychic power straight through the entire enemy deployment zone (Ambush, it's a big straight line.) Twice in a row he was psychic hooded on a needed 5 or 6. Argh!

We finished two turns. :-\ I honestly don't know where all the time goes. GW needs to streamline their rules so that people better understand which ones take precedence. The rulebook also needs more detailed examples so people can extrapolate how they are supposed to work.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 03:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive Lord
*breaks down into wracking sobs*

I....I've never had a game with more than...than two players....1000 points.....

*sobs again*

*wails*
And I cant even remember whether I won or not!

I probably lost though...

*wails again*
I always lose!
Well Hive Lord, you play Tyranids. You're meant to lose. I have never won with my Tyranid army ever.

My largest game was 1500 team battle. Two players per team. So it was 6000 points! I was playing my Tyranid and allied with Khorne Choas Marines. We were whooped by Space Marines and Biel Tan Eldar.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 03:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aun Ukos

The largest battle I was ever in was about 8000 point game. With the teams forces of order vs. force of disorder.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 03:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

15,000 pts of Xenos vs. 15,000 SMs and Imp guard

Basically the night of Games Day, store was open until buses gave a ride to GD

Result: Xenos pound the imperium. Too tired to post the game details
Closed Thread