Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How did everyone survive?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Aug 2005, 22:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How did everyone survive?

I have one simple question. Since "holy terra" is earth how did we make it to the 41st milenium? I could be sure that we would have already killed ourselves with the we shoot one nuke and everyone else does the same and we would all die. I find it kind of unrealistic that we could of made it to the 41st milenium without some sort of incident. I know its just a game and they did it to keep GW alive but I would like some sort of explanation
Old 07 Aug 2005, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: How did everyone survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delightfully Emo
I have one simple question. Since "holy terra" is earth how did we make it to the 41st milenium? I could be sure that we would have already killed ourselves with the we shoot one nuke and everyone else does the same and we would all die. I find it kind of unrealistic that we could of made it to the 41st milenium without some sort of incident. I know its just a game and they did it to keep GW alive but I would like some sort of explanation
The Emperor crucified Bush, Blair and their families, thus giving him total control of the capitalist world (or so total as to seem total), then beat seven kinds of hell out of everyone else who wanted a piece. Somebody used nukes, then found out The Emperor and his super-soldiers were immune to the radiation, thus killed all his opposition.

There's one explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Aug 2005, 23:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Honestly, I think it's totally plausible we'd still be there. *Considering it's the year 40,000, we could have nuked ourselves a dozen times, and as long as a 100 people survived somewhere, humanity could have repopulated. *Cheesy, I know, but considering mankind has only been in development 10,000 years or so, it is possible, and redevelopment wouldn't take anywhere near that long if anyone survived with a decent grasp on technology (I was thinking the poeple in Antartica, but there are plenty of other examples.).
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 07 Aug 2005, 23:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Well lets see, it's "documented" that humanity makes it to at least 30,000 AD, the Horus heresy.
Then there's the Dark Ages, before t hat the Golden age of Technolgy.

My guess is that humanity leaves earth, find aliens, and so is able to have a creative outlet for it's xenophobic tendencies. After all, why bother killing a human when there's so many harder targets to go for?

Old 07 Aug 2005, 23:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
After all, why bother killing a human when there's so many harder targets to go for?
And why bother killing harder targets when you can just build a GIANT BUG EATING ROBOT to do it for you?
(whoops, wrong topic)
;D

Well, yeah, basically what the others said.
Once space travel was develeloped, there were always people elsewhere in the solar system/galaxy who could just come back and repopulate the earth if it was nuked, or whatever
Old 08 Aug 2005, 00:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive Lord
And why bother killing harder targets when you can just build a GIANT BUG EATING ROBOT to do it for you?
(whoops, wrong topic)
;D
<slaps Hivelord with powerfist>
Keep that in the Nid board.

Old 08 Aug 2005, 00:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One of the main points for me starting this topic has something to do with the war on terror and some rumors that we may be going into china soon(to defend Taiwan) and I figure that bush will probably get us all killed.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 00:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i guess the best answer to that would be the 'never have all your eggs in one basket' survival strategy.

namely, by the time nukes start flying, weve got a setup OTHER planet.. like Mars... or the (as yet undiscovered) Earthlike planet around Beta Pavonis, a do-able 12 LY away. then, fine, let earth nuke itsself to death, that WOULD be a good solution to humanities inner strife, wouldnt it?

personally though, in real life, we never will all come together unless one of 2 things happen:

1: everyone on home rock dies in nuclear holocaust, and colonial survivors rebuild humankind

2: an alien threat makes itsself known, and its threatening. then MY kind of human being and YOUR kind of human being will suddenly be the SAME kind of human being, since in the interplanetary sense we are brothers.... and then THEY are the enemy we unite against/in face of. too bad it HAS to be an Enemy, though.. but hey! thats human nature. :
Old 08 Aug 2005, 02:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nuclear apocalypse is actually a very far fetched idea. Except for some crazy people like the suicide bombers people are to afraid to use nukes. A nuke is a weapon of beyond last resort. They're very scary things and most people can at least speculate to their power. Also with nuclear disarmament with the fall of the Soviet Union the number of nuclear weapons has decreased drastically among all nations.

The scary thought is that a single well made biological bomb has a better chance of eradicating humanity than hundreds of nukes.

Also there's no point in giving up on the human race just yet. We're violent, but very rarely senselessly violent. Even Jihadistists have a purpose to their acts and thankfully they are the minority.

I can very easily see humanity surviving and growing.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 03:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

You know what? If humanity manages to kill itself... good riddance.

For all our positive contributions, if it turns out that we are indeed violent and crazy enough to wipe ourselves out, everything will be working exactly as it should.
Closed Thread