Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Terrain Setup
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2005, 22:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Terrain Setup

Okay, got a question for you all.* I just got done playing a game between myself (Tau) and a friend of mine (Tyranids).* He was using the old Codex, and it was a 1500 point game.* I had a relatively balanced army, and his was pretty HQ/Heavy Support heavy (Basically, 3 Carnies, 2 Tyrants, 3 Warriors, One Eye, Red Terror, and bunch of Gaunts/Genestealers).* Now, I realize in retrospect that his army was probably illegal (I just realized it as I was typing it: 3 Heavy and 4 HQ, I believe, though I'm not well versed on the old Codex; verification, anyone?).*

Anyway, I wanted to know how you guys have set up terrain with your friends/at the store where you play.* My group of firiends usually use the 3rd Ed. method of sectioning off the table in 24"x24" areas, and we each place two pieces in each area, with each piece measuring anywhere from 16 sq. inches to 36 sq. inches; if a piece is placed bigger than this, it counts as two placements.* Normally, everyone places, and everything is pretty balanced and the game goes fine.* However, this dude placed his terrain in such a way that it totally blocks up the center and it's impossible to get more than a round (two maximum) of shooting on him.* I'm not the only person that's had a problem with this in our group.

I'll be posting a battle report as well in the other board, which I'll link to and from, if anyone wants to read it.* Here's the link: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=10266.msg169934#msg169934

Anyone else had this problem?* How do you prevent it?* How do you terrain in general?* Thanks a bunch for any answers/advice, thanks.*
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 06 Aug 2005, 23:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord
Default Re: Terrain Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY
He was using the old Codex, and it was a 1500 point game. I had a relatively balanced army, and his was pretty HQ/Heavy Support heavy (Basically, 3 Carnies, 2 Tyrants, 3 Warriors, One Eye, Red Terror, and bunch of Gaunts/Genestealers). Now, I realize in retrospect that his army was probably illegal (I just realized it as I was typing it: 3 Heavy and 4 HQ, I believe, though I'm not well versed on the old Codex; verification, anyone?).
Well, if you are going by the standard FOC, then yeah- carnifexes and OOE are Heavy support, making four. The red terror is a fast attack, and the warriors can be elites, so the rest of the army is OK

Retrospect is such a cool word. I've always wanted to use it, but I've never been entirely sure what it means, so I don't know when to say it.....

Anyway...

As to terrain..

I never play, so...umm... I dont know

Whenever I have played, I just put down all the scenery we have, which isnt very much
Old 06 Aug 2005, 23:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer

There was an article on this in a White Dwarf, I don't know which one, all I know is it had new plastic terminators on the cover. Some of the ideas were:

-Get an impartial person to set it up for you.

-Create a random system of some sort.

-Set it up symetrically across the board.
Old 06 Aug 2005, 23:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

I tend to go for the "Set up till we're both happy then dice off for choosing sides".
Seems to work for me.

Old 06 Aug 2005, 23:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

In actuallity, I realized that the One Eye was the third Carnifex, so his list was perfectly legal. Still pisses me off though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I tend to go for the "Set up till we're both happy then dice off for choosing sides".
Seems to work for me.
This is an ideal world; I've wanted to do this all along, but unfortunately most of the others are pretty set with how they are, and since we all will argue till he have a heart attack (not vehemently, just being stubborn), we're all pretty dead set in how we are. I'll bring this up anyway though just in case, because it's getting to the point where there's no real solution but this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblazer
-Get an impartial person to set it up for you.

-Create a random system of some sort.

-Set it up symetrically across the board.
Creating a random system would be difficult, but the other two are good ideas, however hard to implement; symetry would solve some problems, but it could still turn cheesy easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive Lord
Well, if you are going by the standard FOC, then yeah- carnifexes and OOE are Heavy support, making four. The red terror is a fast attack, and the warriors can be elites, so the rest of the army is OK

Retrospect is such a cool word. I've always wanted to use it, but I've never been entirely sure what it means, so I don't know when to say it.....
Yeah, like I said earlier I made a mistake while counting, it was legal, lol.

"In retrospect" is just a big word-phrase for saying, "Looking back, etc." It has always had a sort of "antique" ring to it, if that makes sense; I always heard it from old people growing up, so I always think "old wise person" when I hear it. I never use it in speach, but I do use it occasionally when I write; I am so much more collected, lol. In conclusion, it is a cool word, heh.

Thanks for the input so far guys.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 06 Aug 2005, 23:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are the three ways that I set up the terrain depending upon how my opponent wants to.

Roll a D6 who ever gets higher gets to place the piece of terrain designated before the roll

Find the center of the table(usually an estimation) and roll anywhere from 3D6 and a scatter die to 5d6 and a scatter die depending on the table size. If it gets the direct hit symbol then we move it in the direction of the small arrow on the dice.

A less complicated way is to say "I will set up the terrain and you may choose sides" and that usually makes them pretty happy.

All of these way has worked well for me
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Im evil when is comes to terrain > If I have any influence over the set up I can have the board set so my army can hold a edge no matter what side I start on.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive Lord

It means something along the lines of 'thinking back'. i.e. 'Thinking back to that time, I realised he was cheating' = 'In Retrospect, he was cheating.' Retrospect is basically hindsight.

Anyway, with the games I play we basically either take it in turns then suffle everything around a bit or just trust the other guy to set it up fairly.

~Andromidius
Old 07 Aug 2005, 15:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

at our gamestore, we have i guess whats called 'peer pressure' enforcement of fair play. we have LOTS of spectators in every game, and if someone tries some shady trick (like say Kroot player laying out huge green felt pads over half the table) they immediately get jumped upon.

ive found that having the guy on the other side of the table complain is thrown out (of COUSE hed say that, he wants to WIN), BUT if 3-4 guys around the table start saying stuff, it really hits home.

anyways, looking at the style of terrain placement in all my games, and looking back on the 4th Ed Pgs. 78-79, it all agrees.

.. guess i got a GOOd game store to play in.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 16:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey Calaban, I'm feeling what you're saying!

In our local gamestore, we know all the crafty tricks, and we kick out people why try them. If their's a powergamer, we just never play him.

We also usually have a pretty fair, pre-set up terrain anyway.
Closed Thread