Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How long should a 40K game take??
Old 24 Apr 2011, 13:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Question How long should a 40K game take??

Hey guys,

Just wondering how long a typical 40k game goes for? Whenever I play with friends, the games seem to go for quite a while - a 1,500 game took 4 hours last week (plus time for setting up/packup/etc). Is that normal? We did have to check the rulebook to clarify a number of things every now and again, though...

So, in your experience, how long would a typical 1000, 1500 & 2000 point games go for?

I would love to play more 40k, but it's hard to find the time. Any tips on shortening the game time (without just rushing)?

Thanks!
-Andy
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 13:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It varies, really. Of course, if both players know the rules well enough to not have to look up much, that helps speed things along. Same if the game is incredibly onesided and units are wiped out quickly. The only real answer is "as long as it takes to play 5-7 turns" Time in any other value would be meaningless.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 13:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the reply Cyven... I think you're right in that knowing the rules better would certainly speed things up.

And I understand that games certainly vary in length. But how long would it normally take you to play a typical 1,000-2,000 point game? Roughly?
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 15:22   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have yet to play a proper match for under an hour, generally they last two, but I'm used to 750 points-1000, so maybe even longer for you guys. But it's true, things vary as well. Even little things, I've noticed that say when two tau armies clash, or a tau against another, the assaults seem to go VERY quickly, while when some of my friends who field orks and dark eldar clash, you have assaults drawing on long periods of game time and dice rolling.
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 15:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1000 - 1500 point games usually take about an hour or an hour and a half.
However if I'm un against big armies then (IG, 'nids etc) then it can take longer because there is more to deal with.