Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to 40k, couple of questions
Old 23 Apr 2011, 20:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Exclamation New to 40k, couple of questions

I'm relatively new to warhammer, and I've only played a couple of games with my Tau. I have some questions about the game.

1) How does "pinning" work? Not the modeling technique, the combat rule.

2) Can I shoot at targets that are locked in melee combat, assuming the unit(s) shooting are not in melee combat?

3) What's a good substitute for GW primer that isn't as expensive?

4) If a vehicle has multiple weapons systems on it, how can I find out how many I can fire each turn?
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 05:57   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Sneaky_Jester Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaky_Jester

All of these questions can be answered in the general 40k rulebook.

1) Pinning occurs when you or your enemy are fired upon by a weapon with the pinning ability. When unsaved wounds are suffered with said weapon, the unit must take a leadership test. If it fails, they go to ground. They receive a +1 to cover saves in this state but can't do anything like move, or attack. They can retaliate if assaulted and that's about it. They take morale checks normally as well. The next turn they're free to move again. This rule does not apply to vehicles.

2) There is only one exception to this rule, when you're playing with three or more players and neither of the two units locked in melee combat are on your team, you can fire at them. Other than that you can not fire on enemy units engaged in melee combat.

3) I don't know any specific brand names, but I shop at the local hobby shops. The Base Exchange at my location used to have a good brand of Testers, but they stopped carrying them.

4) The number of weapons a vehicle can fire in the shooting phase depends on how fast it moved during the movement phase. Stationary vehicles can fire all of their weapons. If they moved at combat speed they can fire a single weapon and any defensive weapons it may have. If they moved at cruising speed they may not fire at all. If an ordnance weapon is fired, no other weapons, not even defensive, may be fired. If an ordnance barrage weapon is fired as a barrage, the vehicle must have remained stationary to do so. If a vehicle is fast moving, each of these abilities is moved up one tier. It can fire all weapons if moved at combat speed, at cruising speed it can fire one weapon, and if they utilize their third speed level called flat out, they can not fire at all. Pivoting your vehicle on the spot does not count as moving it unless specified in the vehicle's rules.

-Shas'O Sa'cea Dre'koran Ta'ar, replying to the Ultramarines ultimatum prior to the annihilation of the Tau colony on Nimbosa.

Last edited by Sneaky_Jester; 24 Apr 2011 at 05:59.
Sneaky_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the help. I have one more small question:

A friend of mine mentioned how Tau Crisis Suits can move after they shoot. I couldn't find anything in the rulebook or the codex referencing that.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 17:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Look for the 'relentless' universal special rule, that is was crisis suits have.
i think stealth suits have it as well, someone double check that
Old 25 Apr 2011, 13:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Unfortunatly, GreatShaper2 is wrong. Crisis and Stealth Battlesuits do have Relentless, but not as it is in the Core rule book. It is a nerfed version that does not allow the firing of Heavy Weapons.

They may move and fire Rapid Fire weapons, but not heavy ones.

As for the referance in the Core Rules, check out the section on unit types and read the grey box under the Jump Infantry entry.

Tau Battlesuits are type Jump Infanty(Jet Pack)
THAT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2011, 13:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
They may move and fire Rapid Fire weapons, but not heavy ones.
This is because crisis battlesuits and stealthsuits don't have any heavy weapons
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:02   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatshaper2 View Post
This is because crisis battlesuits and stealthsuits don't have any heavy weapons
They can take marker drones though, which have a heavy weapon. (Networked markerlight)

Anyway, a good (read: the best) "substitute" for GW primer is Army Painter. If your army is non-black, non-white base, you'll love Army Painter's primers. I am myself eternally grateful for their "Dragon Red" for my Blood Angels.
Ry'Cela is my home sept, ever since GW stole my original creation Kel'Tyr after I whooped ass in the Eye of Terror campaign. Most people would be honored, but GW put Kel'Tyr on the opposite end of the Empire from where it should be (east of Bork'An)

Let that be a lesson to you. Don't enter global campaigns with your real sept name.
Metal_Handkerchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2011, 01:57   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatshaper2 View Post
Unfortunatly, wrong again. There is an XV8 varient that mounts a Markerlight, which IS a Heavy Weapon.

Fortunatly, because Marker Drons are not XV Battlesuits with Jet Packs, if you attatch then to a Crisis or Stealth squad, they get the full and proper relentless.
THAT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2011, 14:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, a markerlight, thats one.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 15:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Okay is that marker light for crisis suits a forge world variant or something because the only one I've been able to find was/is for stealth suits.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote