Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about drop pods
Old 04 Feb 2011, 08:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Question Question about drop pods

So I was reading the FAQ for space marines and noticed something that perked my interest.

Directly from the FAQ
"Q: Can you use a Drop Pod on its own, with no squad
inside? (p69)
A: Yes you can."

Now I regularly run a 10 man sterngard who come in on turn 1 with combi-meltas and blast 2 tanks (combat squads) from the drop pod. It has worked awesome so far. But I have noticed that this tactic does not always suite me, and sometimes I would prefer to have them deploy with my regular army.

Can I for instance according to what the faq says, deploy my sterngard (who are dedicated to the the drop pod) with my regular army and then shoot down an empty pod to block LOS from something threatening, or perhaps contest an objective?

If I cannot, then would I have purchase an empty pod to do such a thing. And if so what slot on the FOC would it use?
kalanbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2011, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

kalanbennett;1389459]"So I was reading the FAQ for space marines and noticed something that perked my interest.

Directly from the FAQ
"Q: Can you use a Drop Pod on its own, with no squad
inside? (p69)
A: Yes you can."

Now I regularly run a 10 man sterngard who come in on turn 1 with combi-meltas and blast 2 tanks (combat squads) from the drop pod. It has worked awesome so far. But I have noticed that this tactic does not always suite me, and sometimes I would prefer to have them deploy with my regular army.

Quite possibly but don't count me on it, as there are deathstrike pods.

Can I for instance according to what the faq says, deploy my sterngard (who are dedicated to the the drop pod) with my regular army and then shoot down an empty pod to block LOS from something threatening, or perhaps contest an objective?

probably a pod on it's own.

If I cannot, then would I have purchase an empty pod to do such a thing. And if so what slot on the FOC would it use?

I have no idea really.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2011, 07:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

On one side the rules does state a squad does not have to deploy inside a transport even though it is dedicated to them.

On the other hand I believe they must deploy at the same time.
So the real question is: Can drop pods deploy any other way than deepstrike? Theres no SM'ers in my regular group so Im unsure about the rules in that regard. If the Drop Pod must deepstrike then the squad must deepstrike with it I suppose.
Old 09 Feb 2011, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You can deploy the pod via deepstrike and walk the squad that would have been on from the board edge as per normal deployment rules. As for the Force Org spot, it doesn't technically have one, as it's a Dedicated Transport, so it occupies the same one a Rhino or Razorback would.

So, for example, if you wanted to drop the pod on an objective to contest it, (as it obviously cannot capture it) and walk the Sternguard on normally, that's perfectly fine.
VeiledMalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2011, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I believe that yes, you could easily do such a thing.
But i'm almost 99% sure I read somewhere that you cannot split a squad into 2 teams of 5(combat teams) when they're deepstirking via drop pod.

Can anyone confirm this?
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote