Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

power gamers
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jul 2005, 09:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default power gamers

Just wanted to know what exactly makes a power gamer?

-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 09:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to LordAbsol
Default Re: power gamers

We have had numerous troubles with this subject in the past.
And I personally believe it would be best left alone for now.
On the other hand some other members might find themselves obliged to answer it via PM.
Saving any possible contesting opinions.

Regards Absol

[edit by FT] Your spelling is getting worse...
[/td]
[td]
Vote for Tau Online[br]Before me grasp does drain thy life, I pray thee, Beg of thy God for their forgivness, for only then will me grasp upon you siece. [br]
Can you see this this!!!!! WORD
[/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Old 29 Jul 2005, 09:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Well a power gamer is someone who decks their army with really stupid things that normally wouldnt even be considered in a normal army.
Also a power gamer might have tactics like hiding a squad of say........ Khorn beserkers in massive cover to hold a table quater, or an eldar player that feilds 3 wraith lords.

Most power gamers will often use the same tactic that just bores everyone else after a couple of games, many of them will try and deep strike a whole army, or feild as many units as possible (works well for Nid power gamers).

also many of them will brag about winning games with their power army and then play a noob, and loose, alot!.

Its basically someone who tries to find a way around everything, often these ways dont succeed.

But this is my experience with power gamers. Others opinions may differ.

PS:This is a topic that can get hot flame wise. Please members no flamming
Old 29 Jul 2005, 10:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

GARGH POWERGAMING NOOBS ARGH NALEKJFBÑLWEH

no, just kidding im not going to flame :P well i find a powergamer is somebody who just playes to win, with no care of how fun the game is for the opponant

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 29 Jul 2005, 11:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ok, what we're trying to say is that there's a thin line between having fun, and all out destroying, you want to find that balance...
Old 29 Jul 2005, 12:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have always played games to have fun, period. However if I were to spend $25 to enter a tournament, I'm not going to bring an army of dandies to stand around and get steam rolled.

It is nice to consider what the reality of an army composition is, but only the most mindless would say they go into a tournament situation worrying about such things.

IMO the label powergamers is nearly the same as the label gamesmanship. The difference is a powergamer is one who uses the flexibility in list generation to advantage while ignoring fluff doctrinal information. A gamesmanship player is one who just works hard to bend the rules constantly in their favor: A much more serious and disturbing individual IMO.

Powergamers will do things like:
Play a fully double armed w/sergeant jump assault SM squad in a 400 point game. He will run as many heavies as possible, with maximum upgraded weapon/BS/ and or initiative while minimizing the number of regular troop or other vulnerable units that are normally considered standard but weaker.

Gamesmanship play will:
Add an 1/8th inch to all his measurements while substracting 1/8th of an inch from yours. He will have a bening ruler to shoot troops who are actually around corners, he is keen on your cocked dice, he off quotes rules so that it sounds about right but somehow benefits his position, and he usually babbles enough during a game to distract you into forgetting to shoot, assault, or move something out of danger.

Powergamers are ego driven to win but can loose. Gamesmanship player's egos are so fagile that loosing is frightning. Both can be sad individuals.

Wanax

Old 29 Jul 2005, 12:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here are a few examples.

Ulthwe 1,500points.

Seer council.
Farseer. fortune. runes of witnessing. ghost helm. singing spear.
Farseer. fortune. runes of witnessing. ghost helm. singing spear.
warlock. enhance. witch blade. pistol.
warlock. embolden. witch blade. pistol.
warlock. conceal. pistol. wich blade.
8x warlock. pistol. wich blade.
5x warlock

5(7) black guardians. Starcannon.

5(7) black guardians. Starcannon.

5(7) guardians. Starcannon.

Vyper. Starcannon.

Wrathlord. brightlance.

Wrathlord. brightlance.

Wrathlord. brightlance.

Total:1,500
http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=5484

Tigurus.
Drednought. Assalt cannon. Missile luncher.
5 tac marines, lascannon.
5 tac marines, lascannon.
2 tornados.
2 tornados.
2 tornados.
Predator anilator, 2 heavy bolters.
1,500points.
Lascannons:5
Assalt cannons:9
Heavy bolters:12
Missile lunchers:3

http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=5919

Iron Warriors 1,500pts.
Edwin Smith.

Daemon prince. Stature.Dreadaxe. CC weapon. Flight. Spikey bits. Essence. Strength. Aura. Furious charge. Bionics. Frag grenades.

3 obliterators.

3 obliterators.

3 obliterators.

5 chaos marines. Infiltrate. Undivided. Lascannon.
5 chaos marines. Undivided. Lascannon.

Defilar. Indirect fire.
Basalisk. Indirect fire.
8 havocs. Undivided. 4 heavy bolters.

http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=5484

1,500PTS FERAL ORKS

Warboss, cybour, power claw, slugga, stick bomma.

17 brutes, 2 rokkits.

18 brutes, 2 rokkits.

20 madboyz, pigdoc, rokkit launcher, 3 styboyz.

http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=4189

That should give you the basic idea. Now that you know what it is dont do it.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 13:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Another example of a power gammer

Space marines

Commander 60 points
No upgrades

troops

5 space marines 95
plasma cannon, 4 bolters

5 space marines 95
plasma cannon, 4 bolters

Land raider 250 points
no upgrades

total of 500 points on the dot

Old 29 Jul 2005, 14:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think there are two things that need to be pointed out:

1) Powergaming generally only applies if you play outside the intended scope of the game. The game is pretty balanced between 1500 and 2000 points, so there really is very little that you can take at those point costs that a good opponant cannot counter. The problem comes when people play 500-1000 point games, which is where you can get into trouble, because there will be some things that your opponant cannot easily counter, or counter at all, at those points costs. There are also many armies that just fall apart structurally in smaller point games, because they have a 'combined arms' approach and will not have enough points to take the support units they need to function properly.

The moral: DO NOT PLAY 500 point games in the first place. 40K is not designed to be played at those point levels. If you don't have enough models to play 40K properly, then play kill team until you do.

2) I have found that it is not the lists powergamers take that are the problem, it is the bad attitude of the people who bring them that is the problem. A big jerk of a player is what kills the fun, not the army he takes. I love to play against any strong army list. What I do not like to play against is some guy who ruins the fun. Now, I'm kind if splitting hairs here, since fun gamers tend to stay away from powerful lists, while jerks tend to seek out powerful lists, but I think the distinction is important.

I looked at the army lists that you posted, Great Unclean One, and I think you are over-reacting if you think people should not take lists like that. So long as the person is fun to play with, who cares what army he takes.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 14:57   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

actually, 40K was originally designed as a skirmish game. It wasn't until 2nd edition that it really became about large battles.

People SHOULDN'T take lists like that. Who SERIOUSLY is going to have equipment to deal with 3 wraithlords and a seer council? AND all those star cannons. Tis Not Cricket!

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Closed Thread