Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whining about the cost of the hobby...
Old 01 Jul 2010, 06:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Whining about the cost of the hobby...

Why oh why do people go on about the cost of purchasing GW minis to play their games? Does anyone else out there hate listening to people with a narrow perspective carry on about this continuously?

I come to putting this topic due to having to sit through someone's droning on about the massive cost of the hobby itself, how GW are pirates, theieves, crack dealers et al- i feel that in some cases some people just dont have an idea about how this hobby compares to other pastimes out there.

When i told the aforementioned complainer that my DA army now owes me around $AU 750 in models alone, he bemoaned the cost of my little plastic men, then went on that when everything was metal at least you got more for your money and so on... and on and on and on!!

I then told him my electric RC car collection now runs to about $4000+ worth, my daily driver just got a strong gearbox rebuild and setup with a turbocharger, which was 7K +, and my project car has sucked up 10K or more in the last few years.

Not to mention my g/fs (massively modified) daily driver car, her Project car , her horse- $1000 PER MONTH and so on.

He had trouble complaining after that!!

Yes, i do know that a lot of people who play this game are students/not full time employed or so on, and yes it is expensive for the books, models and assorted goodies that GW makes. But its is nothing compared to some of the other things out there that people spend their money on.

What say you, people of TO? Do you share my annoyance at this, or are you a a complainer yourself? I'd love to know either way...

FYI, before anyone asks... i just work full time, and have no issues spending money, hence al lmy toys :P

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
kapow ur dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Whining about the cost of the hobby...

For sure. IIRC there is always a "GW price increase in XXXX" thread and there will always be complaining and statements of "I'm going to quit this hobby because its too expensive" etc.

The start up cost is quite steep in Paints, Models, Books etc. however the upkeep costs are relatively cheap. Come to think of it in the past year I only spend very little of my own money on GW products (Tax refunds, Stimulus packages, Birthdays etc.). Furthermore due to it being expensive at the GW store in Australia I tend to seek other avenues of purchasing my mini's due to the currently awesome AUD to USD and GBP exchange rates. I may have to wait a week and a half but I get it at a good price.

Whenever the prices go up or my income stream gets a bit tight I adapt. It's something that is learnt through hardship and not taught. I can understand the complaining but also see it as unnecessary, because if we want it bad enough we will eventually adapt.

After your army is bought you do not really need to update it every month, thus the running costs are low. I have a 4000+ point Templars army behind me now. It's all I need, maybe with my tax return I'll get a couple of extra Drop Pods. Honestly I haven't spent as much as the initial start up cost, maintaining it. Besides modeling (where the cost is at), there is always the gaming aspect which hardly costs anything in comparison.

Once people start to own cars they will see how cheap GW products are. At least you don't have to insure or register your mini's :P
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 09:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerman
Once people start to own cars they will see how cheap GW products are. At least you don't have to insure or register your mini's :P
QFT
I have just slowed down on buying as real life takes over... Occasionally i will reward my good behaviour and purchase a thing or two... and very occasionally blow out and buy a battle force or something... But i find if i try and do a really good job, that stuff i buy will last me a really long time!
Old 01 Jul 2010, 09:31   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I joined a Viking re-enactment group, and have been costing out the gear. Here's a breakdown...

Helmet - 80.
Gloves - 20 at least.
Period clothes - 30 and up.
Shoes - 50.
Shield - 40 and up.
Axe - 25.
Axe to replace the first one when it breaks - 25.
Sword - 60.

Total: 330

Realistically, 40K is not that expensive all things considered. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 09:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

I find that 40k, Fantasy, Warmachine, BattleTech, and other miniature wargaming games to fit very much with my tactical line of thinking.

That and the hobby is a far better alternative to drugs, alcohol abuse, and substance abuse, in my opinion. Better the person spend his hard-earned money on plastic miniatures than ridiculous amounts of booze for consumption or crack or something.
Old 01 Jul 2010, 10:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Totally agree.
For the hours of enjoyment i get out of it, its cheap.
Of course higher prices are bad for us, but slagging off everyones favourite miniatures company because you dont have enough cash annoys me too.
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 10:18   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I just find it riduculous that people complain about the prices when they go out and blow a couple of hundred on games consoles and games that will then probably get about 8 hours play out of and then get sold/traded
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 10:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyross (FT)
I just find it riduculous that people complain about the prices when they go out and blow a couple of hundred on games consoles and games that will then probably get about 8 hours play out of and then get sold/traded
Or even a game, at 40.

- Will
Old 01 Jul 2010, 10:23   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

The models also practically last forever. I've seen Rogue Trader models floating around and they're still legal! And that's like...what?...20 years? This kind of hobby is very long term thing.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 11:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't get people complaining about the cost compare to other forms of entertainment really, especially because if you don't think the price is worth it... don't buy it.

If I compare this to how much money I used to spend on beer and bars when I was younger, this is *way* less expensive. About the only thing I was getting more entertainment bang out of my buck for was World of Warcraft, but that's gotten boring and I've canceled my subscription for the mean time until the next xpack comes out. Sill, for the fun I get out of this game, it doesn't even matter compared to other things, I just think it's worth it for what I'm willing to pay.

If it isn't to someone else, they need to just not pay it and vote with their cash against the price, griping about it doesn't do anything other than let them vent.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote