Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Militaristic "Ranks" of the 40k races
Old 27 Jun 2010, 23:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Comm_Nagrom
Default Militaristic "Ranks" of the 40k races

i have begun working on my pursuit of making a "40k RPG" and i need the professional help of all you great mind, i need a little help with the ranking system of the various 40k armies

so far i have a general idea of space marines:
Neophyte -> scout -> initiate -> Battle Brother -> Veteran -> commander(?)

obviously there will be more ranks in between but i'm still thinking through them, i need to figure on some of the other races
I want to include Eldar, Tau, Space Marines, Orks, Imperial Guard/Inquisition forces and possibly Chaos
any help will be very appreciative
Old 28 Jun 2010, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Re: Militaristic "Ranks" of the 40k races

If memory serves, Tau ranks are roughly the following:

X'Y, where X is the caste and Y is the rank.

'saal -> 'la -> 'ui -> 'vre -> 'el -> 'o

As the Fire Caste does most of the fighting for Tau, generally that "rank" will be preceded by "Shas". The highest ranked commander, then, would be a Shas'o.

Since the Air Caste also does fighting (in the form of Air and Space combat), they could also hold what amounts to a military rank. The highest ranked commander of the Air Force/Space Navy would be a Kor'o.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 00:45   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

There's no set in stone list of ranks for Imperial Guard as each is different based on the culture and circumstances that spawned it, however the most broadly used ranking system (as far as I know) goes a little something like this:

trooper/private
corporal (optional)
sergeant
captain
major (optional)- seems to have the responsibilities of a captain (leading a company) but is a higher rank. 2nd in command of a regiment
colonel
general
lord general
lord general militant
lord commander
warmaster- warasters are rarely appointed, and when they are it is to orchestrate a pan-segmentum war effort. it is a temporary position. they exist partly out of normal the chain of command answering only to the lord commander militant
lord commander militant

as for chaos space marines it tends to be very darwinian with the strongest being at the top by that very same virtue
chaos marine -> aspiring champion -> lord -> warmaster
Old 28 Jun 2010, 00:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think there is already a 40K RPG in print.

But to try to help you out regarding eldar.

Eldar don't mention a whole lot of ranks per se. They don't match up with your typical private, sgt, Lnt, General, etc ranks. I generally think of Eldar forces as a coalition. They may be led by a council, or one strong individual may step forward. I always think of Eldar forces as much more political than others. For example an exarch may withdraw their temple and warriors if they feel it is warranted. Otherwise they will follow their chosen battle leader.

Autarchs are generally described as the war leaders or generals. Pheonix Lords are ancient and make the oldest SM look like whipper snappers, but tend to be a bit more singleminded of purpose than the Autarch. The ability of Farseers to see into the future also makes them natural leaders.

Exarchs are similar to the Pheonix lords. They can draw upon more experiences than an Autarch, but tend to think very singlemindedly.

However, I would roughly put them something like this.

Pheonix Lord
Autarch
Farseer
Exarch
Aspect Warrior
Warlock
Guardian

But those are very loose. For example Eldrad is obviously a powerful leader for Ulthwe. And Yriel for Iyanden. You might also be able to include a wraithlord or even a wraithgaurd in there. They are sometimes tenously connected to the real world they also tend to have alot of experience as only the best warriors control them.

And even a simple gaurdian could have previously been a great aspect warrior and is highly respected. But due to age and/or taking another path may be just another "Gaurdian".
Old 28 Jun 2010, 00:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Orks? What rank?

Typically it's Yoof > Boy > Nob kinda thing. I'm sure there's more to it than that.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like to think of it like...couldnt resist...

YES...WHAT EVER YOU SAY (DONT EAT ME!), IZ GOT A SHINY GUN, AHHHHHH wez gotz all de boys, DAKKKA DAKKKKA, IMMA CHARGE IN HERE, RIGHT GITZ!? and my personal favorite, WHOS ELSE THINKS THEYZ THE TOUGHEST HERE!? WAGHHHHHHHH! ;D
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF Knight
There's no set in stone list of ranks for Imperial Guard as each is different based on the culture and circumstances that spawned it, however the most broadly used ranking system (as far as I know) goes a little something like this:

trooper/private
corporal (optional)
sergeant
captain
major (optional)- seems to have the responsibilities of a captain (leading a company) but is a higher rank. 2nd in command of a regiment
colonel
general
lord general
lord general militant
lord commander
warmaster- warasters are rarely appointed, and when they are it is to orchestrate a pan-segmentum war effort. it is a temporary position. they exist partly out of normal the chain of command answering only to the lord commander militant
lord commander militant

as for chaos space marines it tends to be very darwinian with the strongest being at the top by that very same virtue
chaos marine -> aspiring champion -> lord -> warmaster
Just to add, there is the rank of Lieutenant which is just below Captain and below them are Cadets who are non commissioned officers in training, they may sometimes be given command of small squads as a test of their abilities.

When it comes to the Necrons the leaders are the C'tan followed by the Lords all other units are simply soldiers
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:10   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Nagrom
i have begun working on my pursuit of making a "40k RPG" and i need the professional help of all you great mind, i need a little help with the ranking system of the various 40k armies

so far i have a general idea of space marines:
Neophyte -> scout -> initiate -> Battle Brother -> Veteran -> commander(?)

obviously there will be more ranks in between but i'm still thinking through them, i need to figure on some of the other races
I want to include Eldar, Tau, Space Marines, Orks, Imperial Guard/Inquisition forces and possibly Chaos
any help will be very appreciative
There is one for Space Marines and it is called Deathwatch, and there is one for Inquisition and Imperial Guard which is called Dark Heresy (which is also the first book of the entire series of 40k Roleplay, with a lot of supplements that will help you with your RP). As for Chaos, just use Dark Heresy: The Radical's Handbook and you will not be far from Chaos Cultists.

In addition, do supplement these books with Rogue Trader (which is also based upon the Dark Heresy system and indeed can be interplayed as with all 40k Roleplay books) and you are spoiled for choices. Problem solved.

As for Eldar, you can also check Dark Heresy: Creatures Anathema to know what gives for alien races which can also help you to know what to do a class line for the Orks and Eldar.

So essentially everything is answered through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You've got it pretty right on the Space Marines, but it sometimes varies chapter to chapter. In my understanding of different chapters some of the titles you've used are the same, for instance a Neophyte is simply the name used for a Black Templar Scout, just like an Initiate is the BT equivalent of a Battle Brother. So it looks something more similar to this IIRC:

Scout (Neophyte) -> Battle Brother (Initiate) -> Sergeant -> Veteran -> Captain -> Chapter Master

Keep in mind that the structure of moving up changes as needed by the chapter. If the 1st company has lost many Brothers it might be more likely that a skilled Battle Brother may become at Veteran instead of a Sergeant. Or a Brother may never join the 1st company, instead staying in one company his whole life. Or may never advance, simply being a line warrior. Also a Brother may be seconded to the motor pool, an Assault squad, or a Devastator squad depending on their talents.

It's important to realize that chapters are fluid, moving personnel to fit their needs and each brother's skills. Also if a brother doesn't inspire others or lead them well, they may not advance at all. There's 1000 brothers in most chapters, and only a portion of them can be leaders. But if you're following a traditional path to the top you won't go wrong with the basic steps above.

[hr]

The Inquisition is fluid.

In accepted (GW published) cannon there are simply three "ranks" in the Inquisition: Interrogator, Inquisitor, and Lord Inquisitor. An Interrogator could be considered an Inquisitor's apprentice, learning what is needed to do the job. Once they have learned enough they petition for their rosette, basically applying to be an Inquisitor. A petition must be approved by three full Inquisitors to be accepted as passing, making the Interrogator a full blown Inquisitor. An Inquisitor has full authority to act as they wish in the name of protecting the Imperium. While technically all Inquisitors have equal authority, in practice a 265 year old Inquisitor has far more power than someone who just earned their rosette. Who is considered a "Lord" Inquisitor varies, as it is both described as someone who is overall "in charge" of a sector (as in Eisenhorn & Ravenor) and as someone with enough influence and power (as in Codex: Daemonhunters). Also, not everybody agrees on what is the right way to do things, which leads to many "factions" all doing different things with no oversight. The main division is Puritan V. Radical, which breaks down to those who will use forbidden powers to fight against the enemies of mankind (Radical) and those that do not (Puritan).

That said, even if there's only three "ranks" not everyone is working as one of the accepted ranks. An Inquisitor usually followed by a number of people, a retinue of useful assistants. Sometimes this retinue becomes something more akin to an Army (again, see Eisenhorn). Outside of this group is contacts, informants, and other Inquisitors that might give assistance when asked. The most likely way to move up in the Inquisition is something like this:

Informant -> Outer Circle (in charge of other informants) -> Retinue -> Interrogator -> Inquisitor -> Lord Inquisitor

Of course, this is assuming that you can even find the Inquisition. Most of the time you won't even know they exist until they're knocking down your door to put a Bolter round in your head.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 02:39   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Space Marines will also frequently have a sub-rank between Initiate and Sergeant, although I don't recall the term. But these would be the individuals responsible for leading the second half of Combat Squads.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote