Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rules Question on falling back, what determines doubling back?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 21:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Rules Question on falling back, what determines doubling back?

Interesting situation happened in a recent game. If a unit fails a leadership test from being tank shocked, they immediately fall back. Well, this is where my question in the subject box, what determines doubling back while falling back?

I had a unit of sisters tank shocked, failed there leadership, and according to the ruling of the local store guy they all just stood there and got squished basically. Now, there are only a few situations I would actually allow this, but this didn't visually fit. Here, this picture describes the situation.

I argue that they can move slightly forward to route safely back to there board edge. And they aren't wedged in there enough for me to allow them to be outright killed. I consider doubling back "moving the same direction you came from." If they needed to move slightly forward to escape danger and not have to move backwards I think they are fine.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 21:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Rules Question on falling back, what determines doubling back?

to me, doubling back refers to moving away from our board edge rather than the forced move towards, you can go parallel to it, but not away.

from my view, in the presented scenario, the unit would be destroyed.
Blindmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 21:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

There is nothing that would kill your unit. You are entirely allowed to move in this scenario. The term 'double back' is merely the description of retreading the same ground. As in, you're not allowed to move 1" forward, and then back, and then forward, in the hopes of not being Trapped. You have to move as far and as fast as possible with the intention of moving towards your board edge. Even if this is directly away from your board edge, so be it, so long as you're making every effort to go towards your board edge as soon as possible. The example on page 45 shows what constitutes a double back.

Basically, you must move the full distance you rolled on your Fall Back (say... 7", which is average). You must make this full move towards your board edge however possible, even if it requires moving up and making a U-turn.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, a couple things come into play. First, you have to move the tank shocking vehicle. Once it comes in contact the enemy rolls morale. since they fail to pause the tank just as it touches the unit and let them run away. If they have room to go around the exorcist AND stay 1" away from all badguys then I would agree with Seth and say they can fall back.

However, if the tank blocks them in and there is no room to run away then they are destroyed.

The situation presented by the OP is kind of a tough call. But in general I agree with Seth that you can go around and in any direction as long as you are taking the shortest possible route to your board edge and stay 1" away from the bad guys.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Okay, I figured they could escape from this particular situation. I'd agree that they would be killed if they were trapped in a perfect U shape of vehicles and would be completely smashed. But they can move slightly forward to flee towards the table edge. Thanks for the input.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote