Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Outflanking
Old 19 Jun 2010, 04:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Outflanking

So, I was playing Imperial Guard, and he had an entire Deep striking/Reserve army. So, I took my bigass infantry squads, and in the two turns I had, I walked down the entire board edge (This is Dawn of War) and covered the short board edges with models. Then, when he outflanked, he had nowhere to go legally, do to the location of my Guardsmen. What happens?
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 05:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Outflanking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. HF G. Liath
So, I was playing Imperial Guard, and he had an entire Deep striking/Reserve army. So, I took my bigass infantry squads, and in the two turns I had, I walked down the entire board edge (This is Dawn of War) and covered the short board edges with models. Then, when he outflanked, he had nowhere to go legally, do to the location of my Guardsmen. What happens?
Nobody knows. There are no rules for this scenario.

Obviously if they are not skimmers (or something similar that moves over terrain & models) or tanks (that could tank shock) they cannot move on. In my opinion they would go back into reserves and reroll for them later. If they can never come on then they count as destroyed per the rulebook. These seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Another option are that they are destroyed. I find this a bit harsh, though.

In reality, if you play a heavy flanking/reserves army then you need to be aware of this possibility and prepare for it.

There is a picture of a Tau player who infiltrated his kroot to block the board edges of a Marine player who was outflanking his entire list floating around the internet somewhere.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 06:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekiem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. HF G. Liath
Nobody knows. There are no rules for this scenario.

Obviously if they are not skimmers (or something similar that moves over terrain & models) or tanks (that could tank shock) they cannot move on. In my opinion they would go back into reserves and reroll for them later. If they can never come on then they count as destroyed per the rulebook. These seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Another option are that they are destroyed. I find this a bit harsh, though.

In reality, if you play a heavy flanking/reserves army then you need to be aware of this possibility and prepare for it.

There is a picture of a Tau player who infiltrated his kroot to block the board edges of a Marine player who was outflanking his entire list floating around the internet somewhere.
One of the few times I'll give props to a Frenchy.

However you rule it, by the time the game ends, the ones still in reserve are counted as destroyed. This is a cautionary tale why you should declare outflanking and not just "in reserves". :

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 06:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

I like the 2 guys in the back like "He can't be serious..."

But thanks for the answers. I didn't know if there was some rule or not.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 13:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

There are no specific rules that state if you're outflanking and can't move on, however the general rules on movement cover it. As with the image above (love his shit eating grin), you can't move within 1" of an enemy model and if you can't move on the board when it's your time to show up then you are destroyed. It's the same with disembarking from a vehicle, if your exits are all blocked and the vehicle is surrounded to prevent an emergency disembark and you become a wreck then you are destroyed. The rules are harsh but these circumstances are rare and hard to pull off and in turn they are brutal.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 15:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Accept that those movement rules are specific to their circumstances and don't actually cover "Placing reserves when there's no place to place them from outflank or standard reserve entry"

Like so many other gapless rules people kind of have to fill the slots with what they feel works. The most commonly agreed upon rule for this circumstance is that units are forced into reserve until they can be brought out of reserve should the enemy models move. Rolling as normal.

The brutal rule is like you said though, the units get magically destroyed. But even the deepstrike rules have rules for forcing units to wait a turn.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 01:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Also the new nids with large genestealer squads can pull the kroot wall as well so be aware of that.

Old 21 Jun 2010, 01:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
if you can't move on the board when it's your time to show up then you are destroyed.
I did not realise there was a rule that stated this. Could you let me know where you found this?
Old 21 Jun 2010, 12:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

There is no rule that specifically states that. Instead it's a drawn conclusion. If you can't move your models within 1" of an enemy model and your board edge is covered such that you can't come in without doing so then what? Granted, there is nothing that outright says what to do in this case but if we take a page from how vehicles are handled then we can draw the conclusion that those models are destroyed.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 13:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Course you could also take the deepstrike mishap rule for being forced back intro reserve. Or you could take the rule to mean they can't come onto the board as they can't legally make their movement and are therefore stuck in reserve. Just like if you declare an assault through difficult terrain but fail to make the distance, you don't get to move.

But because there is no actual rule for the circumstance it's simply what your opponent and you agree on. As GW playtesters fail at foreseeing outcomes like this as they never thought someone might actually pull this off when they wrote the DoW maps. Or they just assumed everyone was smart enough to at least put 1 unit down to prevent anything from being placed on your board edge.

Either way it's a failure of playtesting.