Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blast template
Old 17 Jun 2010, 18:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Blast template

Yesterday I was playing a game against my brother and the following situation arised when I shot with Railgun Submunition at his guardsmen:

The Guardsmen where behind cover, but the blast landed behind the guardsmen's cover.

Now, as the green arrow indicates, I fired at the guardsmen from their covered side, so my brother claimed his men got a cover save because the shot had to pass trough cover before it reached his unit. I, on the other hand, claimed the men didn't get a cover save because it counted as if the shot came from the center hole of the template, and therefore from their uncovered rear.

It boils down to this:

Are models hit by a blast template hit from the point where the firer is located, or from the center hole of the template?
GibbetFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 18:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Blast template

The blast coming from the hole is only listed in the barrage quality/ability, to my knowledge.

Your brother was correct in that he was supposed to receive a cover save from a submunition shot in this circumstance.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 18:21   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

That shot wasn't legal to begin with - you have to place it so the hole is over a model's base. :P

Secondly, the weapon is not Barrage. Therefore, cover is worked out from the firer's perspective. If the shot were a Barrage weapon, you'd work it out from the centre of the marker.

Thus, your brother was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 18:25   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

I don't think he said that he placed it there - just that it landed there. So it could be a legal shot.

[hr]

Nice illustration of your question by-the-way.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 18:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
That shot wasn't legal to begin with - you have to place it so the hole is over a model's base. :P
I know, the shot had scattered.

Thanks for the quick replies! ;D
I just remembered another question that arose during the match: his Leman Russ fired it's battlecannon at a Firewarrior squad; the shot scattered and in stead hit the rear of a Devilfish. The Devilfish was upgraded with a Disruption Pod, however, so I wondered: does it still get a cover save from being an obscured target in this case?
GibbetFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 18:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbetFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I know, the shot had scattered.

Thanks for the quick replies! ;D
I just remembered another question that arose during the match: his Leman Russ fired it's battlecannon at a Firewarrior squad; the shot scattered and in stead hit the rear of a Devilfish. The Devilfish was upgraded with a Disruption Pod, however, so I wondered: does it still get a cover save from being an obscured target in this case?
The Russ doesn't fire an Ordnance Barrage weapon, just Ordnance.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 18:52   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbetFish
If a template scatters onto a Devilfish, it will still get a cover save just as if it had been the original target. The Disruption Pod works on Barrage weapons just as it does anything else. All that matters is the distance between the Devilfish and the weapon being fired, not where the shot is treated as coming from. You use the position of the template to figure out direction, but a Devilfish with a Disruption pod is essentially in Area Terrain or moving Flat Out against weapons further than 12" away. This is somewhat debatable. But as Ender pointed out, the Battle Cannon is not a Barrage weapon, meaning that the answer is much clearer.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote