Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rage question
Old 17 Jun 2010, 03:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Rage question

Ok, so I was playing Seth with Blood Angels against his Tyranids, and I have a question about the "Rage" special rule.

I was within 1" of his Gants. However, I really wanted to assault his Hive Guard. Would I be able to move my full 6, and move within 1" of both the Hive Guard and the Gants, and PICK which one I wanted to assault? Or would I move the most I can, but no further than what it takes to get to the closest unit?
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 05:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni
Default Re: Rage question

A question I wish I had my rulebook for. Honestly to my understanding (as far as memory serves) rage makes it so you must assault the closest unit. Now as to whether or not you can move your full distance towards the closest enemy and somehow make another enemy the closest one instead I'm not sure.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 05:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

rage alone does not state you HAVE to assault a unit. Just that you have to move as close as possible, and consolidate as much as possible. It also states you may "run" or shoot as usual with the same manner of getting close.

page 76 mate. BRB, or universal rules.

whether "consolidate" was used poorly is up to you.

I dont read this as "have" to assault, I read this as consolidate, as in our normal consolidation (flippin rulebook :P). Otherwise this is a mostly pointless rule to me if you dont have to assault.

anyhow, to answer your question even if you had to, it should be an easy judgement of if they are both the same distance, you get ot choose (they are blood thirsty and are not picky after all!) you can be anal about it and measure it out to distance taking the majority of the units that are closer to decide but meh. ;D
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 06:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Pepsi. Its a Death Company Dreadnaught. I'm going to assault :

The point of the question is, can I move towards a different unit, if I stay as close as possible to the closest unit, while moving into range of the other unit?
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 06:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

.....you would have to move as close as possible to the nearest unit :P unless god forbid they are side by side. If that happens to point close to another unit...fine, so long as you get closer to the closest enemy.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So you were in monkey knife-fight range of the gaunts, but my, those Hive guard look tasty. Rage says youmust move towards closest enemy, but You are already AT the closest enemy. The one way to somewhat resolve this would be to think about squad mechanics perhaps. If there were a unit of DC (not a dread, units of dreads....ohhhman), I could see a point for the DC spreading along the front to ensure more were as close as possible while also getting closer to the hive guard.

If you think that scenario makes sense, condense it down a bit to say that now the single DCD is closer to TWO targets now, while still being as close as possible to the closest (gaunts).

Nevertheless I hope I don't get into that situation, kinda ambiguous.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 03:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Rereading the "Rage" special rule, I don't have to assault the Gants. I can assault whatever I want, I just have to move to the nearest unit.
Quote:
Quote: