Warhammer 40K Forum

Method of Re-rolls
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jun 2010, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith
Default Method of Re-rolls

How do you do re-rolls?

Though this may sound like a daft question, i have found a different method of showing a re-rollable roll.

simply, you roll two dice, simultaneously.

If one dice gets the required result, but the other doesn't, you have the required result from the first.
If both dice fail, you've simply failed.
and if both pass, then you've passed.

It seems a bit of a beardy way of doing it, but I wanted to see what you guys think.
Old 06 Jun 2010, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Method of Re-rolls

How exactly do you plan on using this? I mean yes, maybe if you are using the re-roll for, say, a single armour save... but if we're talking 30 twin-linked shots your opponent will have force-fed you the dice before you start rolling to wound.

Frankly, the normal way is the best way. In every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 06 Jun 2010, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I roll one dice, then if it fails pick it up and roll it again. Simple and easy, even in large quantities.

Also this would never work over one dice, surely it would be unfair as in theory you could hit with more than you actually were meant to roll. And even if you say you would only take the number you were meant to roll, in my opinion this would still be unfair as you do stand more chance of getting all the hits, if you simply pick out the number that hit as for some both dice miss, however you ignore this as others will have both hitting. SO in that instance you will have gained an extra hit each time.

- Will
Old 06 Jun 2010, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

I tend to do this sometimes with coloured dice and throwing them in different places on the table just incase I have to reroll the result. Of course it's unnecessary as it's not cheating in any way, but it's just to completely make sure that I haven't cheated in any way. Helps if you're using multiple BS rerolls from one unit as well. Usually, I just roll normally, however, as I find it's excessive a lot of the time, because with my armies I'll at least hit half the time anyway.
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
Old 06 Jun 2010, 19:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Wargamer.

Rolling both dice at the same time works if you're only dealing with a single possible re-roll - say, a Predator with TL lascannon - you need a different dice color anyway to separate the TL-Lascannon from the Non-TL ones, so just add a second one - but tell your opponent beforehand which color represents which weapon.

But for, say, TL Hurricane Bolter Shots or re-rollable attacki rolls, just stick with the "normal" procedure.

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 06 Jun 2010, 20:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Skeith, I've seen your method used before for single, rerollable things, like a single TLed Lascannon being fired (apparently I'm not the only person who sees this most commonly used with Predators and Razorbacks :P). In any more than a single shot, though, it's more confusing then it's worth.
Old 06 Jun 2010, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
How exactly do you plan on using this? I mean yes, maybe if you are using the re-roll for, say, a single armour save... but if we're talking 30 twin-linked shots your opponent will have force-fed you the dice before you start rolling to wound.

I beleive the guiy uses it for things like Railgun shots, and other single shot, re-rolling shots
Old 06 Jun 2010, 20:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeith
How do you do re-rolls?

Though this may sound like a daft question, i have found a different method of showing a re-rollable roll.

simply, you roll two dice, simultaneously.

If one dice gets the required result, but the other doesn't, you have the required result from the first.
If both dice fail, you've simply failed.
and if both pass, then you've passed.

It seems a bit of a beardy way of doing it, but I wanted to see what you guys think.
Statistically, this method is identical to a regular reroll, and thus I'd allow it as long as it were explained to me the first time, and then verbally mentioned each time it happened in the future (for politeness' sake). But only in situations where it is clear what you are rerolling. For example, if you were rolling for a single twin-linked weapon, then that'd be okay. If you were rolling batches of differently coloured dice (e.g. two red dice, two green dice and two blue dice for a group of 3 Chaos Terminators with twin-linked bolters at a range of 13"-24"), then that'd be okay too. But if you were rerolling a bunch of like dice, or even had to work out multiple shots (such as the prior mentioned group of Chaos Terminators at a range of 1" - 12") then I'd have to say no, since the statistics only works out the same for individual rolls.

However, despite the statistics being identical, a lot of wargamers will intuitively say that you shouldn't do that. Ergo, I'd NEVER suggest that anyone try and use this method with anyone other than a trusted friend, simply because otherwise you would likely be rejected.
[hr]
Old 06 Jun 2010, 20:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

I've 'rerolled' by rolling both dice at once a few times before with a Bring-It-Down'd lascannon & other twin-linked weapons. Both dice fail every time I do it like that, so it clearly angers The Dice Gods. I'd therefore reccommend against it.
Old 06 Jun 2010, 22:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer

I beleive the guiy uses it for things like Railgun shots, and other single shot, re-rolling shots
I roll two dice for my twin-linked single shot weapons all the time. Saves time.

The first time I do it I explain to my opponent what I am doing. Then I always declare "Brightlance from my serpent to your Pred, Twin-linked" as I roll two dice.