Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Getting back into 40k; thinking between 2 armies.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 03:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Getting back into 40k; thinking between 2 armies.

Hey guys, it's been quite a bit since I have played 40k, and I recently decided to get back into it, but preferably with a new army. I currently have Vanilla SM, Tau, and DH/WH armies. I am also interested mainly in building, but I want a playable army that I can do well with. I have never been competitive, just a player who makes a single list, sticks to it, and plays once in a while, although i might change.

Now the two armies I'm thinking of are Eldar and Chaos. I like the Eldar because I'm a fan of Pathfinders, Reapers, and having as many dire avengers in as many wave serpents as I can fit. I think it would be a fun and competitive army. Only downside for me is that painting might be a bit of a chore since they are the most artistically demanding army. I'm also considering Chaos SM because I like the way they are forgiving with their armor, and I love oblits, berzerkers and thousand sons in rhinos, and the cool HQs.

And when I have played my previous armies, they have all been shooty and fairly well armored, but now I'm thinking of a flexible army that can assault and shoot and that can handle either hordes or meqs with ease when properly equipped.

I have done days of research on what army would be more fitting for me, searched the forums, and I can't decide. Its not an easy decision for me since once I start it, I will spend a lot of time and money making it the best army that I can. So I'm not asking which army is the best, I would just like some advice on what people would say for my scenario on which army you guys think is best for me.

Thanks so much!
pwner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 05:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni
Default Re: Getting back into 40k; thinking between 2 armies.

Personally I'd vote Eldar only because vanilla marines and daemonhunters aren't that far away from chaos. Eldar would give suitable variation to maintain interest in them and not find them to be your marine/dh armies with a defiler or some other chaos toys.

Course having both chaos and DH with a friend could allow you to setup some fun scenario games.

I know Eldar can very easily handle any situation when kitted for it, and their pretty much required to setup each individual unit with a task in mind. They aren't as balanced for multi-tasking like marines. They're also alot less single focus like tau. So based on what you currently have they're the most different.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 14:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That sounds reasonable, HijiriOni, I guess I might get bored of the marines faster than I would eldar. The main armies that are played at my local store are heavy MECH IG and SM armies, massive Ork hordes, sometimes tyranid swarm armies, and a few CSM and eldar players (usually heavy jetbike armies or heavy guardian armies).

Are eldar very effective against these armies, or on the safer side should I go with CSM?

And I'm not looking only for gaming. I also want to know, from people's experiences, which army is more difficult/fun to build? That's another big part for my choice.

thanks again, and any other opinions welcome!
Old 04 Jun 2010, 15:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would say that Chaos is a lot more artistically demanding because their models have a lot of detail and random spikes and flesh everywhere.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 17:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I thought that the eldar were a painter's army? And I was primarily focusing on the building than the painting. Thanks though.

any other opinions?
Old 04 Jun 2010, 19:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If I were to chose an army based purely on building it, I would have to go with Chaos. There are so many cool ways you can convert the models, and a lot of Eldar models are metal, which is horrible for converters.

Not to mention Chaos can be really cheap to make if you just convert AOBR marines. My friend converted a couple AOBR dreads to Chaos, so next time I play him I'll have to get some pictures.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 04:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Alright Scoutfox, can't wait to see the pictures. Do you know if he used spare bits or if he used green stuff?

Old 05 Jun 2010, 15:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Mostly just spare Chaos bits. I told him to go green stuff crazy on the third one and do a nurgle dread.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2010, 15:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I guess since I have the eldar codex, I'll build a list and see how it fits me after people help fix it, and if it doesn't, I'll give chaos a go.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 03:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwner50
Hey guys, it's been quite a bit since I have played 40k, and I recently decided to get back into it, but preferably with a new army. I currently have Vanilla SM, Tau, and DH/WH armies. I am also interested mainly in building, but I want a playable army that I can do well with. I have never been competitive, just a player who makes a single list, sticks to it, and plays once in a while, although i might change.

Now the two armies I'm thinking of are Eldar and Chaos. I like the Eldar because I'm a fan of Pathfinders, Reapers, and having as many dire avengers in as many wave serpents as I can fit. I think it would be a fun and competitive army. Only downside for me is that painting might be a bit of a chore since they are the most artistically demanding army. I'm also considering Chaos SM because I like the way they are forgiving with their armor, and I love oblits, berzerkers and thousand sons in rhinos, and the cool HQs.

And when I have played my previous armies, they have all been shooty and fairly well armored, but now I'm thinking of a flexible army that can assault and shoot and that can handle either hordes or meqs with ease when properly equipped.

I have done days of research on what army would be more fitting for me, searched the forums, and I can't decide. Its not an easy decision for me since once I start it, I will spend a lot of time and money making it the best army that I can. So I'm not asking which army is the best, I would just like some advice on what people would say for my scenario on which army you guys think is best for me.

Thanks so much!
wrong place to ask. You need to ask some one who WON'T give you their personal opinion. A cool team doesn't mean a good team to your liking.

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote