Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

mutli-assault?
Old 30 May 2010, 11:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death
Default mutli-assault?

Well i was watching a battle report and one guy charged a rhino and a dread with one squad....I thought this wasnt aloud, and i looked in the rule book and i couldnt find the rule saying you can/cant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_itTpcIlZHE

4.20 is when the mutli-assault comes in
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 11:39   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: mutli-assault?

It is indeed allowed. In fact, here's a thread about it.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,95078.0.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 11:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes you can multi assault.

When you assault you have to separate out your attacks between the two squads, men in base contact have to attack the squad they are in contact with, others can choose.

- Will
Old 30 May 2010, 11:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Yep, Page 34 of the rules for the exact words, it does note you can assault multiple units, but it says the closest attacker must go to the closest defender in the target unit. If there was no shooting at any target (likely since Berzerkers can't hurt either target with anything but a Plasma Pistol and their CC attacks are far more of a threat), they can attack either, and I presume the target was the dreadnought.

I think there may have been some mutual misunderstanding going on though, not 100% clear. It seemed the unit was moved about to get the fist into the Dread, which unless he was closest to the target dread, shouldn't be.

Also, for linking to a youtube video, you can link to a timestamp directly by adding #t=[x]m[y]s (where x = the minute and y = the seconds so for your link, it'd be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_itTpcIlZHE#t=4m20s
Farseer_Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 11:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death

Ok thanks for clearing it up.
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 12:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Sharpe
I think there may have been some mutual misunderstanding going on though, not 100% clear. It seemed the unit was moved about to get the fist into the Dread, which unless he was closest to the target dread, shouldn't be.
Not necessarily. Only the first model to be moved for an assault follows the 'closest charges closest' rule. Afterwards, the rest of your unit may assault in any order at anyone they like, within certain limitations (stay in coherency, must assault an unengaged model in target unit if possible, etc.). You can actually be quite cunning with your assaults.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 12:10   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

One of my favourite tricks for multi-assaults is, as the other thread states, to use Independent Characters as anchors; position them so they cannot make a legal charge move, meaning they stay back out of the combat but provide an anchor point for other units to retain coherancy.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 30 May 2010, 12:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
One of my favourite tricks for multi-assaults is, as the other thread states, to use Independent Characters as anchors; position them so they cannot make a legal charge move, meaning they stay back out of the combat but provide an anchor point for other units to retain coherancy.
That is a really good idea which i haven't thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 16:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Wouldn't you want your IC in combat, though? You can do the same thing with a basic member of the squad.

I suppose some ICs suck in CC, but if so then why are you sticking 'em in there?
Old 30 May 2010, 22:57   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekiem
Quote:
Wouldn't you want your IC in combat, though? You can do the same thing with a basic member of the squad.

I suppose some ICs suck in CC, but if so then why are you sticking 'em in there?
Well the last time I used my Flesh Tearers, poor Seth found himself toe to toe with a Warboss and got insta-gibbed. Sometimes your characters are better off just hiding and surviving - especially if they can grant boosts to the unit! Corbulo might be good in combat, but I'd much rather lose his attacks than his Feel No Pain!

Quote: