Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Counting wounds, winning combat.
Old 29 May 2010, 12:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Counting wounds, winning combat.

Ok here is my questions. How do you determine how you win combat in assaults.

Example: if I recieved no wounds and caused 8 wounds that failed to save. But do to allocation I only inflicted 4 actually wounds on the model. So when we roll to see who won combat is it -4 or -8 towards leadership.

Also example if you have a hive tyrant with guard locked in battle. If the hive tyrant gets hit with one wound with a force weapon and the guards don't get hit and some how I don't take any wounds. Since the swarm lord had 5 wounds. Do he take a -1 towards leadership or a -5.
Old 29 May 2010, 12:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Counting wounds, winning combat.

In your first example, you only win combat by how many wounds you actually inflicted. Even if you deal a hundred wounds, if only ten wounds are taken (either due to being 10 single wound models, or 5 two-wounds ones, etc.), then you win combat by 10.

In your second example, you get the full wounds of models you kill through Instant Death.

This could be very easily answered by looking at your rulebook, Chicop. Page 39, under 'Determine Assault Results' specifically covers both of these cases.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2010, 12:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just asking to see if I understood it correctly. The first cause some conflict but the last gets argued a lot. I need to ask questions like this here to remind that I'm sane and can read.
Old 29 May 2010, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

In the first instance, I would say that you win combat by -8. Whilst you only killed four models, it can be assumed that seeing them die in an extremely violent and overkill way causes a serious blow to enemy morale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 17:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
In the first instance, I would say that you win combat by -8. Whilst you only killed four models, it can be assumed that seeing them die in an extremely violent and overkill way causes a serious blow to enemy morale!
That's what the argument is actually about. I'm used to the -8 read the book and took it as -4. Than I played a guy who fought the -4 and swore it was -8. I come here and ask questions for clarity and I can show the response as well. A lot of debates have been answered simply by letting them read the response.
Old 30 May 2010, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Seth got it spot on, there should be no real question here on combat resolution.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 19:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Again like I said before it's like a second opinion. Which I noticed a lot of gamers do. Which turns into me against the whole store. This place is unbiased so it have more pull on the debates.

But wargammer stated -8 so you're saying it's clear cut but why would wargammer make that statement if it's so clear and cut.

The fool is the one who never ask questions and assume he's right. Even if I know the answer I still ask question cause I may overlooked something or another person may have a better solution you didn't think about. That's my leadership style which my groups always do better than others cause I actually listen to all input instead of going with I out rank you and know more than you attitude.
Old 30 May 2010, 19:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Again like I said before it's like a second opinion. Which I noticed a lot of gamers do. Which turns into me against the whole store. This place is unbiased so it have more pull on the debates.

But wargammer stated -8 so you're saying it's clear cut but why would wargammer make that statement if it's so clear and cut.

The fool is the one who never ask questions and assume he's right. Even if I know the answer I still ask question cause I may overlooked something or another person may have a better solution you didn't think about. That's my leadership style which my groups always do better than others cause I actually listen to all input instead of going with I out rank you and know more than you attitude.
Wargamer also believes in a more RAI/fluff orientated way of playing. I don't fault him for that view, but I find RAW to be more accurate, if less "fun" at times.

As for the attitude, you won't need it. It's very simple though. Hand them the rule book and make them prove their point.
After a while of being proven right, maybe people will then start to give your words more gravity and you'll find people siding with you more readily in these silly arguments.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 19:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

There is no disagreement on rules here, Chicop. Wargamer is suggesting his own way to play the game, which doesn't always go by strict RAW - if you and your opponent feel that being so brutally annihilated in combat warrants the LD modifier then by all means go for it! However, going by the rulebook in any more competitive setting, you'll have to follow the page I quoted earlier, in which you will only win combat by 4, not 8.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I tend to care very little what "RAW" says. I've been playing a game that both participants called "5th Edition" for a long time now... yet in fact it was not. It was "mostly 5th Edition with a bit of 4th Edition". Neither player cared, nor considered the fact we were not playing 'properly' important. What mattered was we both understood the rules of the game (though interestingly, our group organically slid into this 'house rule' set without ever explaining what the house rules were) and that we both had fun.

On that note, I would suggest the following; if you like the idea of Overkill, then find a group of like-minded players and use it. I recently learned how Transports are meant to work in 5th, as opposed to how my gaming group assumed they did, and the result... is that I have lost a lot of respect for 5th Edition. I don't like Transports being slow, nigh on useless boxes that are worthless for anything bar hiding behind (save, conveniently, for Land Raiders).

Playing by RAW is all well and good... but playing by Rule 0 is more important - if changing the rules will make the game for fun for both of you, then change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote