Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Most cost effective army
Old 20 May 2010, 19:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Most cost effective army

I am trying to convince a few buddies to pick up 40k. I was wondering, which army (race/style) is the most cost effective in terms of real money? I would like my friends to be able to get up to 1500 fairly quickly and be somewhat kind to their wallet. They are not too interested in fluff or story, but more so by the fun of the gameplay.
Old 20 May 2010, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Most cost effective army

Marines and Orks.

Marines because second hand you have gobs of cheap ones at your disposal.

Orks because the Assaut on Black Reach box set is still a very cheap way of making a starter army for both SM's and Orks. Buy two and split them between two friends (also comes with two rulebooks at that point) and you'll be well on your way towards your goal.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 19:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I may be wrong about this but aren't the demons fairly cheap money wise? And if you do that you can also play warhammer fantasy :P
wererat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 19:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by wererat
I may be wrong about this but aren't the demons fairly cheap money wise?
Nah, I think daemons are too full of metal models to be cheap, also there HQ's don't have a lot of models. SO there is a lot of converting involved I think.

Not completely sure though.

- Will
Old 20 May 2010, 21:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wererat
I may be wrong about this but aren't the demons fairly cheap money wise? And if you do that you can also play warhammer fantasy :P
If you weren't so new to the site I'd have thought you were being sarcastic =P

Daemons are rather expensive. Beaten only by the truly over-the-top horde armies.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 21:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Daemons are rather expensive. Beaten only by the truly over-the-top horde armies.
They are very pricey, unless you build your own, like waaargh's Cubes of Tzeentch.
Old 20 May 2010, 21:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Outside marines and Orks Necrons are probably the next cheapest because their models have the highest points costs and their dollar figures are roughly the same. 10 Marines cost about 30$ and so do 10 necrons but those 10 necrons will cost at least 30 points more depending on which marine codex you use
Old 11 Mar 2011, 00:39   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Rather than get big armies that your friends dont have any vested interest in, start with small 500 point games. This creates a history for their armies. Also getting a huge amount of models at once is overwhelming when it comes down to painting and piecing them together, which would offput your friends from potentially playing.

I like the Assault on Blackreach idea, split that between your friends(i think its $80 cdn, so $40 each) for a small starter army. Read the codex for each army while your in the store, and have your friends pick an elite or HQ to battle alongside their respective army, and that should be good to go.

Don't forget paint, brushes, dice, x-acto's, storage, glues, primers. There is going to be a lot for your friends to plunk down for an initial investment in this.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 20:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Most cost effective and easiest way to get into Warhammer 40k is to buy a painted second hand army on a site like this or bartertown.

i got a lot of stuff there for about a third of it's original value.

for example i got $1500 dollars of tau from a guy for $500 i also got a nice cadre from nobleseven here on this forum as well i'm fixing and painting them at the moment to sell in the future so if you live in europe i can do you a great deal on them.

but yeah seriously check out this thread

http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewforum.php?f=8

look around and your bound to find something to suit your needs especially if your not fussy.

in fact there seems to be a nicely painted necron army on there now

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 11 Mar 2011 at 23:57.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2011, 16:32   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

necrons, hands down, you get a competetive army with a battleforce and a monolith. you then just keep adding battleforces (well, you can and still get a pretty darn good force). The cons, they're pretty dull in my books.
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote