Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sprue Plastic?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jul 2005, 14:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Sprue Plastic?

Have GW changes the type of plastic on the spures? as when i picked up a box of SM's for my mate and tau for me the sm's plastic was more shiny and flexable and a bit harder to cut and the edges were rounder and more circular the tau was like all he other ones i have had before

any one else notice this in other armies ?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Sprue Plastic?

one of them is probably older.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 16:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I've noticed with the new sprues there has been a change. As stated the sprue is rounded on the one side and the plastic seems to be diffrent. I'd ahve to check to be sure but I think they have changed the type of plastic to one that holds detail better and so needed diffrent molding equipment. I also noticed that there seems to be a minimum of flange, the exess plastic along mould lines that sometimes happens.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I bought a Tau Army Box (the big one), and piled together all the drones that I got, and im sure there was like 5 different types of plastic used (many differnt shades of gray). Also I noticed that the sprues that the Fire Warriros came on were all curving. IMO GW was experimenting with different plastics at that time, as the newer models that I have gotten dident have curving sprues.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 19:37   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

When you order from Forge World and the kit includes plastic components, I have noticed they use a much darker plastic with a waxier feel to it. I think they probably vary the type of plastic used based on cost and research.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 19:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Hmm, maybe. the sprue I noticed the change on was the new Terminators. I also noticed it tends toa a 'powdery' feel to it. N ot sure if that is the plastic or the mold release that makes it feelt aht way though.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It feels good to know that GW is experimenting with new material and not having us pay for the same old techniques they've been using for years now.
This, i think, will also explain some of the price rises.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 21:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

I too have noticed the varying types of plastic.
Ranging from the almost translucent light grey used for the original Dark Eldar sprues, with the knife that always broke, to the dark, solid plastic that they've used in the carnifex sprue.

Has anyone else noticed that the new marine components seem to have sets of ridges running along the curvature of some parts? Looks sort of like somebody made a contour map of the model and then glued thin wafers together to fit the shape.

Old 23 Jul 2005, 03:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

The hammerhead I just bought has lighter coloured sprues, and a bit more flash than usual.. I haven't seen any of the new sprues yet so I can't really compare them..
Old 23 Jul 2005, 08:13   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

The actual plastic parts in my Forgeworld Wave Serpent kit were almost completely white. The plastic had no flash at all that I could see, I preffered that type of plastic to the stuff GW usually uses.