Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Online Pod Cast
Old 13 May 2010, 13:06   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Tau Online Pod Cast

As per this topic here:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php/topic,96586.html

If we were to create our own pod cast for Tau Online, who would be interested in creating it (or contributing to it)? And I suppose just as important, would you guys listen to it (so that it's worth our trouble organising it )?

My initial thoughts on what it would constitute would be an audio based show, once every two weeks/once a month, with changing content in the general format of:
1) Opening sequence (this it the TO pod cast)
2) Podcast contents (whats in that pod cast)
3) Content item 1
4) Content item 2
5) Content item 3
6) Closing statement/end sequence

Each content item will change depending upon hobby trends, new releases etc and will feature different content with each pod cast (for example, we could do a product review, a bit of spoken fluff etc for one army, then change army and do something else).

So, thoughts, opinions, proposals and/or death threats?
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2010, 13:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau Online Pod Cast

It has potential. For me the biggest thing that would get me listening, to put it bluntly, is podcasters that don't sound like know-it-all douchebags. I've listened to a few 40K podcasts over the years and that's the thing that always turns me off. If you sound like you're doing me a favor by producing 40 minutes to an hour worth of 40K conversation then you can piss off. If the TO one is done in a way that's more of a discussion and less "this is how it is", then I'm all ears.
Old 13 May 2010, 13:26   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Plus we're already having trouble making the Newsletter barely newsworthy.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2010, 13:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Plus we're already having trouble making the Newsletter barely newsworthy.
That, to me, seems to be the biggest hurdle. It's one thing to have written and visual material about our hobby on the internet but it's another thing entirely to have it entirely in an audio format. Now granted I haven't actually ever listened to a Podcast, let alone a 40k related one, but I would be concerned about the potential lack of material.

That said, I'd be interested in contributing my voice towards the efforts if it did come to pass. Perhaps the Mod team could all contribute towards a Modcast ;D
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2010, 14:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Material shouldn't be a big deal at all. It's harder for a newsletter because the material needs to be typed up, formatted, checked, etc. You're relying on various people to contribute the material and meet a deadline and then put it all together. With a podcast you should be prepared of course but it's more a matter of having discussion points and there's no shortage of those. Cover things like rumors of upcoming codices (Necrons, =][=), new codices and what people are seeing (Blood Angels), upcoming events and tournies ('ard Boyz), cover strategy and tactics (general or army specific), hobby segments, general GW news, random 40k ramblings...and that's just scratching the surface.
Old 13 May 2010, 14:21   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd imagine that putting together an audio pod cast would be harder then a newsletter because anyone can type at a keyboard and ammendments are pretty easy, but if you make one slip up in an audio pod cast, you have to record that segment/phrase again and it's an aweful more fiddly and time consuming to do.

Perhaps forking the existing TO Newsletter would be a suggestion, so that the newsletter and podcast become interlinked and the material one covers reinforces the other. For example, the Newsletter could cover new releases, and the podcast gives a review of those products a week later (thinking that a week to put together, edit and then upload it is a reasonable time).
Old 13 May 2010, 14:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Well, perhaps a Podcast could be bimonthly instead at first, to test the waters. That way we can see if we can supply enough content to both it and the newsletter to justify both.

Also, a random idea: Interviews. Using Teamspeak or Skype or whatever, have audio interviews.
Farseer_Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2010, 14:52   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Sharpe
Also, a random idea: Interviews. Using Teamspeak or Skype or whatever, have audio interviews.
How feasible would that be to record though?
Old 13 May 2010, 15:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would be very intrested in a TO pod cast. I would like to be part of it in some way but I am not sure what to do.

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2010, 15:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin Lord (FT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Sharpe
How feasible would that be to record though?
There's a podcast I used to listen to done by a gaming guild that was done on either Skype, Ventrilo or Teamspeak (I forget which), and it sounded fine.