Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I never knew this about poisoned attacks o.O
Closed Thread
Old 11 May 2010, 13:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default I never knew this about poisoned attacks o.O

Just a friendly reminder to anybody that uses poisoned attacks, it's VERY VERY powerful! I was reading through the rulebook freshening up and re looked over the weapons page (pg. 42) and found out super benefits when comparing S to T values. To anybody that forgot/never knew, give it a looksy and enjoy your poison =)
Old 11 May 2010, 14:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: I never knew this about poisoned attacks o.O

Funny thing about poison is most stores didn't notice the re-roll until the new nid book came out. Even Nurgle daemon players didn't know.
Old 11 May 2010, 19:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

The sad thing is that sometimes poison attacks can be worse than regular attacks, since you MUST use the poison roll for the to-wound - consider a Hive Tyrant, who wounds on 2+ when comparing strength against most infantry. With poison, it would be 4+ rerollable.
Old 11 May 2010, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp

Yes indeed, but this is why most people use poision attacks on lower strength critters like gaunts. Poision is wasted on high strength units like tyrants, but on the little guys it makes them lethal. So you can say "HA! my gaunts just took down your wraith lord!" which with out poision would be impossible.
Old 11 May 2010, 21:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

A rerollable 4+ is, statistically, better than a 3+, so in many cases Poisoned is an excellent addition even on higher-strength units. However, if you're going to be wounding on 2+ then it is a waste - a 2+ is still better than a 4+ with rerolls. Of course not all Poisoned attacks are 'Poisoned (4+)', some are better, but those tend to be Strength X as to not be overpowered. :P
Old 11 May 2010, 23:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Dark Eldar Haemonculus Bikers - Take 6 of them, charge them into marines. It is hilarious!

30 attacks, hitting first regardless of initiative or other rules, hitting on 3s with rerolls to hit, wounding on 2s with rerolls. Most times this gets about 25-26 armour saves marines have to make :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Old 12 May 2010, 19:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I didn't actually know this either. The only codex I owned before I bought tyranids was the Tau codex. So up until a few months ago I actually knew almost nothing about the assault phase as well. But I'm actually going to be building a tyranid army at some point in the near future. I will be running a unit of Tyranid warriors with 2 sets of scything talons and toxin sacs. So they'll be hitting most things re-rollable 3's and wounding anything on re-rollable 4's. It's not a bad configuration. They're cheap too, a unit of 4 is only 140 poitns. I also like raveners for the same reason, in addition to being ridiculously fast.
Old 12 May 2010, 20:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I didn't actually know this either. The only codex I owned before I bought tyranids was the Tau codex. So up until a few months ago I actually knew almost nothing about the assault phase as well. But I'm actually going to be building a tyranid army at some point in the near future. I will be running a unit of Tyranid warriors with 2 sets of scything talons and toxin sacs. So they'll be hitting most things re-rollable 3's and wounding anything on re-rollable 4's. It's not a bad configuration. They're cheap too, a unit of 4 is only 140 poitns. I also like raveners for the same reason, in addition to being ridiculously fast.
Even with tau i've entered combat lots of times with kroot and stealth suits. Stealth suits having 3 attacks at str 4 is nice. Also running drones is nice cause they're int 4 also they help ensure my suits get to fight back.
Old 12 May 2010, 20:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

You're certainly correct about kroot, stealth suits, and drones being decent close combat options for Tau. However, I find their uses to be limited and obviously they have no chance against dedicated assault troops. When I play Tau I try to avoid close combat altogether. It just works out best for me.
Old 12 May 2010, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
You're certainly correct about kroot, stealth suits, and drones being decent close combat options for Tau. However, I find their uses to be limited and obviously they have no chance against dedicated assault troops. When I play Tau I try to avoid close combat altogether. It just works out best for me.
Depends how badly you out number the dedicated units. I had kroot bring down a carnifex in hth many times. But I tend to shoot with my suits first and enter combat depending on the situation.