Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which army list should I use at my local stores "store challenge"?
Old 07 May 2010, 22:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Which army list should I use at my local stores "store challenge"?

My local game store allows customers who purchase 50 bucks or more worth of a GW product to participate in a special "Store Challenge." It's a free match that if one wins, they get there name in a raffle bucket at the end of the month towards a battleforce box or equivalent. The catch is, I'll be using a 1k list vs the store "40K guy" using his 1500 point list. He also gets to see my list before the match, I have to set up first, and he automatically gets first turn. He's been using his tyranids for every other match, and sadly I'm not allowed to know his list in advance, it is a challenge after all. He has tons of everything so obviously can orient his list to beat mine but I was wondering what I might have a better chance with.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92941.0.html is a link to my Tau 1k all comers list that would likely be pretty efficient against most stuff in a tyranid army. This list is also heavily modifiable as I have tons of available tau models to chose from.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,96490.0.html is the link to my very lightly changeable 1k Guard list that I built for fun. I have about 7 unused models consisting of flame throwers, plasma, but nothing really game defining.

I'm actually thinking that because the guard have a more expendable nature, they might be the better one to chose as if I lose something it hurts much less that what's in my tau army. Also the orders can really change the outcome as "bring it down" will likely be used alot if he uses monstrous creatures, and "fire on my target" will help negate cover saves. Also all the grenade launchers are pretty effective at range with horde armies as is FRFSRF.

My Tau list I just tried to keep diverse enough, and low point cost to reduce large points being lost when things go sour for the squads and such. This is just a fun game that might win me a lot of good, so what do you all think?
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Which army list should I use at my local stores "store challenge"?

Challenge is one thing, this is just outright list tailoring AND unbalanced forces AND strategic setup. If he's using nids hes also got plenty of advantages due to being a newer codex.

Id write him a list and then take something different.

500 points is just too much to reliably overcome without using the newest 'dex's, especially with everything else they are stacking against you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 23:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Exactly, this isn't so much a "challenge" as ludicrously stupid and unfair for no real reason.

Having to fight a guy without knowing what army or list he was using isn't enough? You have to unbalance the armies points wise, which is bad enough, but not only that you're giving the "40k guy" your list in advance so he can tailor his army specifically to beat yours, WHILE having a 500 point advantage, and giving him first turn AUTOMATICALLY.

And all for a chance to enter into a raffle and maybe win a $90 prize. WOW, SIGN ME UP! LMAO

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 23:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Of the two lists though, it take Guard, and Mech up. 1000 points is alot of tanks or Vendettas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 05:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

He gets first turn automatically, use an army that can rock from deepstrike. Something that rocks reserves or uses heavy outflankers.

Something like Terminators with cyclone launchers (mostly for deception) and scouts with close combat weapons...as a space marine example.

He'll expect you to deploy for range and only worry about killing the scouts in close combat, the scouts could carry locater beacons too.

You just need a list that easily takes advantage of the fact that he is forcing you to take 2nd turn, should he use the same reserves trick on you his forces start coming in on turn 2 whether he likes it or not still giving you the first turn to act when your turn 2 arrives.
Old 08 May 2010, 06:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

What really gets me though is just how shitty the prize for completing this stupid challenge actually is. I mean you don't even get a battleforce for sure, you're entered into a raffle for one.

Considering the difficulty of the "challenge" I'd say a free 1000 point army as a prize would be fair. But this?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 06:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Well consider the 2nd fact...just how many people you think will actually win the challenge? Some might depending on the stores traffic level but if his store has the traffic level of mine I'd say he's got a 1/3 shot at getting the raffle.

Now if the organiser was fielding an IG leafblower style army with a mystic in tow I'd say your pretty much boned no matter what army is used and this persons just doing it to satisfy their own lack of ego, which is the reason for the +500 point handicap and automatic first turn.

Speaking of first turns...Do Daemons Have to put stuff down in the first turn, or is it their first turn they start popping in?

That reminds me of drop pod armies too, as the drop pod assault explicitly states they come down in your turn, not the first game turn.

IG do same the way to go of your listed armys though
Old 08 May 2010, 07:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with the rest: While a neat idea of a contest, the store is just being too stingy. With the odds THAT stacked against you, you should win the battleforce flat out if you win. They are selling $50 worth of stuff for every sucker who steps up to try this absurdly unfair game, and they will have to eat, AT MOST, the wholesale cost of one $90 battleforce box? Tell them to sweeten the deal some or kiss your ass!

If they wanted to make it a reasonable competition, and still at least break even, make the points penalty no more than 25% of the challenger's list, get rid of the automatic first turn, and have the store player disclose in advance which civilization he's using. If he is going to tailor his list to beat yours, at least restrict it to a single civ to give the challenger a chance.

Should you feel like playing anyway, I would go with a Daemon army. Daemons actually do better going second, especially if their opponent tries to outreserve them. I would go Tzeentch-crazy: fill the Elite slots with 3-model flamer squads and have a fair number of Horror squads (and, of course, the Changeling) to blast him with. That leaves you with a problem against mechanized, but I don't really have a solution to that. Maybe a Khorne Daemon prince for vehicle-bashing or a Keeper of Secrets.

If you don't/can't do Daemons, then anything else that Deep Strikes would be worth considering. Tyranids in mycetic spores, drop pod Space Marines or Space Wolves, or maybe Deathwing Terminators would be worth considering. I guess you could TRY ninja Tau; but honestly I don't think any self-respecting player would agree to fight 1/2 again his points against a perfectly tailored list that always goes first! Seriously, how lame a player is the "store 40k guy" if he needs that stacked a deck?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 14:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats is the worst idea for a game ever, no offence to anyone but whats to stop me taking your exact list with 500 points extra on top?

There is no skill involved in what he's doing, the prize seems rubbish (although if you win and no-one else does it yours) and the whole thing is weighed too heavily against you. That said try an all skimmer mounted army, Eldar or vendetta-guard should do the best, you need to be mobile to avoid the sheer weight of numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 14:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

We have a similar challenge at our store, except we don't have a prize. It's just for bragging rights.

I say "similar" though, as there are some differences: your opponent doesn't see your list, nor does he automatically get the first turn. He does, however, get DOUBLE your points allowance.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote