Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mawlock/ Mystic Question?
Old 05 May 2010, 17:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Mawlock/ Mystic Question?

My question is when do I get to fire on the Mawlock. Is it before the template effect or after. I'm thinking after simply because the template effect is in lieu of mishap. Also the template represents him busting out of the ground. But I may be wrong and that's why I'm asking.
Old 05 May 2010, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Mawlock/ Mystic Question?

Mystics refer to when a model "enters play" which can only be reasonably be interpreted as "placed on the table". A Mawloc is only placed on the table after the blast template attack is resolved. Therefore, I'd suggest that you'd only be able to fire upon it, using Mystics, after the blast template attack occurs.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2010, 17:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

See it actually have to enter play kind off before the template takes place. You have to place the model on the table to get the mishap effect to than get the blast effect. But than you could argue you could shoot at models before mishap.
Old 05 May 2010, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree with Thespian. The Mystic only kicks in one the Deep Strike has been complete, including scatter and such. The Mawloc follows the normal Deep Strike procedures, but creates a blast if he lands on enemies, which is resolved before he is literally placed at his final, scattered-to destination. So the order of business would be to Deep Strike the Mawloc as normal, blast any enemies you land on as normal, and then the Mystic fires on the newly Deep Struck Mawlock.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2010, 22:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

I was under the impression that they would be resolved simultaneously but I haven't read up on how it works.

So if say it went after a dev squad and successfully landed in the dev squad a mystic could say "yes this dev squad still gets to shoot it but then they die"
Old 05 May 2010, 22:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nah, I'm pretty sure they happen one after the other. The Mawloc's Deep Strike isn't complete until after the blast is resolved. If he ends up on top of an enemy, you resolve the blast first. The Mystic, on the other hand, only kicks in once the Deep Striking has been complete. It is a very similar reason that the Mystic gets to choose between a Drop Pod and its occupants - the Pod finishes its Deep Strike and any rules it may have, and THEN the Mystic kicks in, once the Deep Strike is complete.

So no, if your Devastator squad gets gobbled it's not going to be shooting no Mawloc. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 00:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Nah, I'm pretty sure they happen one after the other. The Mawloc's Deep Strike isn't complete until after the blast is resolved. If he ends up on top of an enemy, you resolve the blast first. The Mystic, on the other hand, only kicks in once the Deep Striking has been complete. It is a very similar reason that the Mystic gets to choose between a Drop Pod and its occupants - the Pod finishes its Deep Strike and any rules it may have, and THEN the Mystic kicks in, once the Deep Strike is complete.

So no, if your Devastator squad gets gobbled it's not going to be shooting no Mawloc. :P
Correct, which is why you'll never see the situation of dead models getting returned to reserves.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
See it actually have to enter play kind off before the template takes place. You have to place the model on the table to get the mishap effect to than get the blast effect. But than you could argue you could shoot at models before mishap.
Do note the first and last lines of the Mawloc's Terror from the Deep entry: "Place the large blast template over the spot the Mawloc is emerging from," and "After all casualties have been determined, replace the large blast template with the Mawloc." By the first line it seems quite clear that the Mawloc has not yet entered play and you do not even place the model on the table until the last line allows you to. Since Mystics, other than their interrupting ability, follow all the usual rules for shooting, including requiring line of sight, the model must be on the table to be shot at and that cannot happen until Terror from the Deep is fully resolved, as far as I am concerned.
[hr]
Old 06 May 2010, 02:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Quote:
Do note the first and last lines of the Mawloc's Terror from the Deep entry: "Place the large blast template over the spot the Mawloc is emerging from," and "After all casualties have been determined, replace the large blast template with the Mawloc." By the first line it seems quite clear that the Mawloc has not yet entered play and you do not even place the model on the table until the last line allows you to. Since Mystics, other than their interrupting ability, follow all the usual rules for shooting, including requiring line of sight, the model must be on the table to be shot at and that cannot happen until Terror from the Deep is fully resolved, as far as I am concerned.
I agree on the shooting after part. But you have to follow the rules for deep strike first. You still place the model on the table first due to Deep Strike rules. So if he lands on another model instead of mishap he becomes a large template. So if he deviate more than an inch away he doesn't turn into a template. Also if he ds in impassible terrain or off the table he still mishap.
Old 06 May 2010, 02:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I agree on the shooting after part. But you have to follow the rules for deep strike first. You still place the model on the table first due to Deep Strike rules. So if he lands on another model instead of mishap he becomes a large template. So if he deviate more than an inch away he doesn't turn into a template. Also if he ds in impassible terrain or off the table he still mishap.
I do not see what you are trying to say here and, more importantly, how it applies to this conversation.
[hr]