Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Went to the local game store...
Old 04 May 2010, 01:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Went to the local game store...

I have not played in about a year, so I went to go play and I was playing against a Deamonhunter codex. He got first turn and went on to move his rhino 18, and I stopped him and said how are you doing that, and he said it could, so we went to go ask the man next to us and he said I was right. So the game went on to shooting phase where he had a platoon of IG and said he was using 4 commands a turn and made all of his squads have a +2 cover save( I didn't bother to ask, as I haven't read the new codex). He went on to say he got a Str 10 Ap 2 large blast every turn( dint ask either). He also said my Hammer Head could shoot 8 SMS missiles,and the rail gun( I wouldn't mind that, but I corrected him), after CC when he won he moved his units next to the rhino and said they enter, keep in mind this is after CC. Could you guys help me verify how he played, and what I can do to prove it to him?

He had a Rhino, Grey Knight Squad, Psyker, Cult Assassin(the one with turbo- something), and a special character called creed... with at least 40 + IG all bundled together, a sentinel, and two teams of flamers( IG teams). We were playing a 800 pt game.
Zely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Re: Went to the local game store...

Hard to say for certain, but here's a few possibilities.

First, Orders. Creed can, indeed, give 4 orders a turn. One of those orders is Incoming, which potentially provides the effect you describe. If the squads were in area terrain or already were provided a 4+ cover save, they could indeed gain a 2+ cover save. However, such an order means they go to ground - if he also shot or moved them that or the following turn, he cheated.

Second, Str 10 AP 2 Large Blast. That isn't found on any of the models you described him having, though there are a few possibilities that can come (somewhat) close. In Creed's Company Command Squad, its possible your opponent had a Master of Ordinance. This would provide an Earthshaker shot, i.e. Basilisk shot, every round. While high strength and low AP, it isn't 10/2. It also has special scatter rules. Another possibility is that he's using a Psyker Battle Squad, which could theoretically have a 9/2 Large Blast, though the AP is variable every turn. Someone with insufficient reading capacity (or morals) might incorrectly interpret the maximum strength as 10.
Old 04 May 2010, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds like he cheated you there.

1. Grey knights cannot take, or ride in, Rhinos.
2. Psyker? Maybe inquisitor?
3. An assassin that assaults 12" is fine. Evisor Assassin.
4. Daemon Hunters cannot ally in Imperial Guard HQ choices, least of all special characters.
5. The guard platoon is fine, but he needs at least two in order to take a sentinel, and needs at least two Daemon Hunters troops still to make it a legal army (either another squad of Grey Knights, or Storm troopers).
6.The S10 AP2. Artillery is fine, but it's actually a pretty terrible use of points.

I am am sure he may have been at 800pts, maybe, but he seems to have a very poor understanding of how the ally system works for the codex.

Quote:
He got first turn and went on to move his rhino 18
You are correct, only blood angels rhinos can do that.

Quote:
o the game went on to shooting phase where he had a platoon of IG and said he was using 4 commands a turn and made all of his squads have a +2 cover save
Not sure about orders, but the guard get +2 to their saves when they go to ground with a certain order. But that means they become pinned.

Quote:
after CC when he won he moved his units next to the rhino and said they enter
Nope, can only enter transports in the movement phase.

Sounds like one troublesome player.

All the answers are in the respective books. Look at the Daemon Hunters book on allying. Forget the page. It'll let you know what his army is illegal due to the lack of units he has. Rules for the Rhino are in the rulebook under vehicle movements. Consider that the Rhino is not a fast vehicle. You'll also want to show him that Grey Knights have no option to take transport vehicles.

For entering transports, it's in the appropriate part of the rulebook as well. The S10 blast is called a Lance Strike, a heavy support for Daemon Hunters. Scatters anywhere from 2"-24" a turn and cannot be relied upon to do a whole lot.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 02:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Definitely do not play this guy again, escpecially if you're trying to get back into the hobby. I've seen guys like this at my LGS and they've all ended up getting banned.
Old 04 May 2010, 02:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
The S10 blast is called a Lance Strike, a heavy support for Daemon Hunters. Scatters anywhere from 2"-24" a turn and cannot be relied upon to do a whole lot.
It also has to be keyed to a specific piece of terrain and rolled for like reserves. You don't have to roll for it, but once it arrives it cannot stop.

But yeah, I would avoid playing this fellow again, it is possilbe he could just be making genuine misunderstandings... but thats a lot of misunderstandings...
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 04:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm not siding with the guy, but playing the advocate. Personally, I think the guys sounds like he cheated his ass off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejivar Konj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
The S10 blast is called a Lance Strike, a heavy support for Daemon Hunters. Scatters anywhere from 2"-24" a turn and cannot be relied upon to do a whole lot.
It also has to be keyed to a specific piece of terrain and rolled for like reserves. You don't have to roll for it, but once it arrives it cannot stop.
Roads would solve both the Rhino issue and the Orbital Bombardment.

Also FW rules give a Rhino that any Imperial army can purchase iirc. Since it wasn't specifically tournament rules where FW was banned, you don't need opponent's permission for the little stuff anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejivar Konj
But yeah, I would avoid playing this fellow again, it is possilbe he could just be making genuine misunderstandings... but thats a lot of misunderstandings...
I agree. At least, not until you talk out the issue before the game. During gameplay is the worst time.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 04:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Yeah...the only army that can move 18 inches in a rhino legally is Blood Angels. Daemonhunters cannot take Blood Angels allies so unless a road was involved he totally cheated you there.
Old 04 May 2010, 04:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

For that Str 10 template, how dose it work? He was putting it on top of my hammer head that was back on my side out in the open. If you could place it anywhere on the field it might be very broken, like he was doing. I asked him if I got my save from my disruption pod, he said no, but I don't know any more.
Zely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 05:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well as far as the cover save goes I have seen that one debated a little bit. If i remember correctly the rules for ordnance barrage say all covers saves are determined from the center of the template, so if center of the template is over or within 12" of your tank then you don't get the save for your D-pod, But I have also seen it disputed using the wording for the D-Pod which I believe says that you get a save if the shot came from more then 12" and since the the shot (in some cases) originates from farther away then 12" the Pod provides the cover save.
Guardofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 06:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

I would consider a Lance shot coming from orbit as well outside the 12" range for that purpose, but perhaps that's bias.