Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need some focus on my next army.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Need some focus on my next army.

Heya, im afraid it is another one of these threads. But this time - no poll :P I want to hear some arguments for the armies that I am going to suggest if possible.

Well, it's gotten to the point where I am officially bored with my Orks. Not bored enough to not play or sell them, but just wanting to try something else. Don't get me wrong - if you're looking at starting playing orks then they are a hoot. But after playing them for the last 11 years things begin to get a bit samey. There isn't a list out there that I haven't tried, so I think it is time to look towards starting something new. Something less barbaric and dirty. My affextion for my Emperors children has dwindled with the release of the new codex and I just can't stand the new daemonettes on the aesthetic level. Yes, you may cry "more fluff, less boobs" but they are just downright ugly models as far as I am concerned and I cannot stand to place them next to those lovely 3rd ed metals.

Battle Sisters:

As you can tell by the avatar this is the army that I am favouring at the moment. I just love the whole religious imagery, rules and conversion opportunities. However, while I do like the models, theres always that chance that there will be plastics in the next year or so - I don't wanna use old metal one pose models and then get really jelous of new plastics.

Space Marines:

Yes, yes. I said space marines. But specifically gun line marines, rather than the assault nut jobs we have now. You see, I remember space marines with a good amount of rose tinted glasses. A spot of space hulk every now and again and a fleeting army at the time of armageddon and I realise that I do actually like them back in the days of 3rd edition when they were nice and simple armoured killing things rather than the robed holy-er-than-thou examples of perfection that we get now. So with that in mind - I'd go with a pure terminator army (is the deathwing list any good?) in the blood angels colours with no storm shields in sight. Sorry, I grew up with terminators having powerfists and bolters marching menecingly towards me as shots just bounce off of them all day long. Not the type that land raider rushes you. Of course, them main problem is that everyone and their cat plays marines.

Imperial guard:

Again, keeping with the human theme here as I have dabbled with aliens too long (and no, im not on about mass effect for a change). But I just love the thought of having more models than anyone else and laugh inside of me whenever they say that strength 3 is pathetic for a gun. Although, to be honest, a pure tank army wouldn't go amiss - It most certainly be a nice change from paitning flesh, plus the sight of so many large blast markers appeals to my Orks side. However, tanks and all of those men are damn expensive!!

Tau:

Now we come to another army that I have flirted with every so often. Lets make this clear - I am in love with battle suits. The ability to fire off a tone of shots whilst moving 12" sounds absolutely delightful and we do have those shiney new tau battlesuits on Forge world. Yes they are expensive, but they look twice as nice as the regular suits. Plus, the Tau are complete opposites of my Orks. Orks are barbaric and simple coloured models. Tau are smooth and bright. Orks (and I) love close combat. Tau want to avoid it at all cost. An infantry heavy ork is pretty much point and click. A battlesuit heavy tau army is agile and quick, allowing me to play chess on the table top. However, are they too weak at close combat?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2010, 12:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Need some focus on my next army.

Battle Sisters can be a fun army, but all those crappy metal models will be horrible to paint and use.

I would recommend IG. Like Orks they are very customizable and have a lot of different army types to make. Lots of plastic models and although tanks are expensive, if you enjoy painting you'll get a lot out of this army.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2010, 13:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tau Infantry are venerable to combat, mostly due to their low weapon Skill, and toughness, but this is relative to who your against. Of course they are weak against the likes of Space Marines, but against units with similar strength and toughness, they can prevail if they have the charge, and due to their decent armour. However, their strength is in shooting. The suits though, can be deviating in combat, as they have multiple wounds and high stats, if it was not for their lack of power weapons, the suits could be quite powerful melee fighters. But, as a counter-charge role they can work well, especially after nailing their foe with multiple shooting attacks first, and then charging the survivors.

Witch Hunters are a competitive army, their fate and mechanization can work well for them. Exorcists is amongst the best anti-tank/anti-monster weapon in the game. A pair of them is almost a must.

Marines are always a good standby as well. Deathwing can be pretty good, but takes finesse to use them. Very small body-count means that any casualties you suffer are going to hurt. But, a profusion of Powerfists and storm bolters (as standard gear) is fantastic.

Out of all the armies, the one that sees the table the least is the Deathwing. I am a Grey Knight commander myself, and I know the sort of satisfaction you can get for having a much smaller force prevail against more numerous foes. It'll be a tough learning curve with them, but I feel that Deathwing can be a very rewarding army.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2010, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would personally recommend going imperial guard since they have new models coming out. The deathstrike missile launcher is my favorite thing in that book and it's getting a model, nothing like a 4-6 large blast multi-barrage that completely ignores cover saves and all armor saves to ruin a horde players day, or anyone elses for that matter.

Hold off on sisters in case an update comes soon, same for the tau as their suits from FW will end up going plastic.

Space marines, unpainted, are the other option. I know black templars should be coming soon and I think I remember correctly that they are the shooty SM chapter, dunno. Unpainted until you find a codex that fits your guys of course.
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2010, 14:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Black Templars are never shooty, they're really assautly, much like any other SM Chapters.

Imperial Fists are the shooty ones, or Raven Guards.

I wouldn't recommend Sisters anymore even if I love them, it's not easy getting the models and by the time you manage to scrounge up some from eBay or other players, it'll cost you more and limit you modeling opportunity.

I play Orks and I started IG recently, they're as good as Orks. Modeling wise anyways and the codex is brimmed with alot of customizable stuff.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 15:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
Imperial Fists are the shooty ones, or Raven Guards.
Raven Guard are actually based mostly around assault squads. They are the fluffy assault army in the vanilla codex.

And starting a Deathwing army would be interesting, and it would be nice to see another one around. Seems like all space marines are Red or Blue now :P.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 16:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wasn't aware they're assault-y, I always thought they're infiltrators and whatnot.

Wasn't there a chapter that utilizes alot of scouts?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 14:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, the Raven Guard do use lots of scouts, but their main strength is in the Assault Squads. The whole army has fleet if you take Kayvan Shrike. and 1 squad can either outflank or infiltrate with Commander Shrike, and if your taking Vanguard...with a potentially 18-24 inch charge margin, Assault Marines will ruin every ones day.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 15:17   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Um guys.... sorry to sound big headed but - can we get back on topic?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2010, 15:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaplainKenny
Well, the Raven Guard do use lots of scouts, but their main strength is in the Assault Squads. The whole army has fleet if you take Kayvan Shrike. and 1 squad can either outflank or infiltrate with Commander Shrike, and if your taking Vanguard...with a potentially 18-24 inch charge margin, Assault Marines will ruin every ones day.
I would greatly appreciate you not suggesting that the OP do exactly what everyone else does.

Coulda sworn black templars were the shooty SM, well damn them. Deathwing be the shooty SM then?

Currently since we have no feed back from the OP from our suggestions, going guard would be the best bet.
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote