Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Modeling Woes - WYSIWIG/Stand-Ins?
Old 24 Apr 2010, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Modeling Woes - WYSIWIG/Stand-Ins?

Hi there, not sure if this is the right board but I like to ask.

Given if a player, like me for instance, I would like to model a Leman Russ to look like say, a WW2 vehicle, say a Sherman tank, now, it'll take alot of great work to make it alike, however, chances are, their size, height and whatnot will be altered to a degree that it might or could be game-changing.

Is it acceptable? Coming from an Ork player, we can do alot of whatever with the bits, as long as it doesn't ruin the game. Now for IG, since it already has a model, do we stick to it rigorously that you can't make it look at least 50-70% different? I think the tank for IG is abit weird, furthermore, it's to fit the fluff more for my army.

Another thing is, WYSIWIG wise, instead of a Power Sword, you modelled it into a Power Polearm or Axe. Is it still acceptable in the eyes of tourney or casual players?

Cause aside from that, it's a great deal in converting and scratchbuilding, but I just need some opinions on other players. Because some people might say "that isn't GW model or even half looks like a Leman Russ, we won't play with you" kinda business.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Modeling Woes - WYSIWIG/Stand-Ins?

Quote:
I would like to model a Leman Russ to look like say, a WW2 vehicle, say a Sherman tank, now, it'll take alot of great work to make it alike, however, chances are, their size, height and whatnot will be altered to a degree that it might or could be game-changing.
I have seen similar models being done. German Panzer's come to mind as well as US Marine corps using IG units.

Quote:
Another thing is, WYSIWIG wise, instead of a Power Sword, you modelled it into a Power Polearm or Axe. Is it still acceptable in the eyes of tourney or casual players?
Again perfectly acceptable to do so. Scratch building is definitely encouraged
Old 24 Apr 2010, 19:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would definately say the power axe/polearm is fine. It's still a power weapon, and if I'm not mistaked, it actually says power weapon, not sword. Weapon being a poleaxe. I would allow you to use the WW2 tank- not sure about other though.

scar
Old 25 Apr 2010, 04:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

TOurneys will vary depending on who is running them and how stringent they are. Casual players, by and large, generaly don't mind and activly incurage changes and scratchbuilding.

Of course, that's as long as your changing the model to make a theme and not abuse the rules. I remeber back in third the number of kneeling Wraithlords and later, the massive sixe bases of SM drop pods.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote