Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Psychic Defense
Old 23 Apr 2010, 01:54   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Psychic Defense

I've noticed that people seem to think that you need some kind of Psychic Defense to not be royally screwed over. Warp Lance and Blood Lance? They're on BS4 Psykers; they ain't gonna hit you every time and cripple your entire army. Jaws of the World Wolf? Either your army is at least Initiative 4 or so numerous that you don't give a flying shit about it. 4 Rune Priests? Phhffftttt.....nobody is that noob to actually take 4 of them when Grey Hunters are so cheap and there's a lot more units to play with.

As I see it, Psychic Powers are not too bad. If people want to see bad, they should play Fantasy. Lore of Heaven, Lore of Metal, Lore of the Vampires etc; this are actually ****ing scary. You will literally shit bricks if you actually see what they can do. But maybe I'm just jaded, what are your opinion on the matter of Psychic Powers?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 02:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Psychic Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Either your army is at least Initiative 4 or so numerous that you don't give a flying shtlk about it.
Or you're Tau and you have neither a numerous army or Initiative 4 (on all but your HQs/Kroot/Vespid)
[hr]

I kind of see where you're going with this, and to a degree I concur. Psykers aren't the instant win button, but I think they can be nasty (as in very effective, not "cheap").
[hr]
As for the Psyker powers of 40k to Magic of WHFB comparison, I don't feel that it's valid... They're rather different games...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 02:06   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Tain
As for the Psyker powers of 40k to Magic of WHFB comparison, I don't feel that it's valid... They're rather different games...
I'm just saying it could be worse. Have you seen Lore of Metal magic used against heavily armored armies? Have you seen Lore of Heaven? It's the shtlk (and I mean in it a good and bad way)!

EDIT: Oh and you can choose which Lore you want before each game. Taking advantage much?
Old 23 Apr 2010, 02:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree that psychic power aren't as dominant as magic in Fantasy, but armies that don't have defenses wish they did. Fortune and Null Zone are game-winning powers, and if they don't go off bad things happen.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFury
I agree that psychic power aren't as dominant as magic in Fantasy, but armies that don't have defenses wish they did. Fortune and Null Zone are game-winning powers, and if they don't go off bad things happen.
Unless you really depend on them. To me; they're just an extra insurance to get the results I want, not win my battles.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 03:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've never really worried to much about psychic Defense. Two of my armies don't really have any reliable way of doing it (Chaos Marines, and Necrons) and the other army I play has it ingrained in the army (Daemon Hunters). I've found that powers have never been very game winning against me, in any case. When I use powers in my own armies, I've never been too concerned if they don't go off. Certainly is not the most positive situation, but something that wont screw me over, or is something I rely on. At least most of the time.

New psychic powers are getting quite wicked though, so Psychic defense is always a plus, but still not mandatory.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 03:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFury
Unless you really depend on them. To me; they're just an extra insurance to get the results I want, not win my battles.
Watch what happens when TH/SS termies run into just about anything with null zone up. Poof!

As a general rule of thumb for myself, if you can take psychic defense without sacrificing an effective army for it, do it. Examples are runes of warding on farseers... why not? There are also a lot of cheap ways for other armies (especially imperial, hooray allies!) to get psychic defense. A lot of the time, I'm very glad I have it.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 12:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Its not just for the actual defense, its also a mental defense against opponents with psykers. If they know that I have countermeasures as a Hood, Runes of warding, shadow in the warp, they know that their powers won't be 100% reliable and have to change accordingly. The last thing I want is a comfortable opponent. In each case it also happens that the defender is also the part of the psyker attack (libby, zoanthrope, farseer).

So i guess I am one of those guys who will always have defense, might be OCD for countermeasures or something.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 13:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Its not jsut for the actual defense, its also a mental defense against opponents with psykers. If they know that I have countermeasures as a Hood, Runes of warding, shadow in the warp, they know that their powers won't be 100% reliable and have to change accordingly. The last thing I want is a comfortable opponent. In each case it also happens that the defender is also the part of the psyker attack (libby, zoanthrope, farseer).

So i guess I am one of those guys who will always have defense, might be OCD for countermeasures or something.
I totally agree with this. If my opponent has a psychic hood or what have you I play certain units, like my Jet bike Seer's for example, alot less aggressively. That unit is notoriously "tough as nails" because of fortune and without it they just cant perform as well.

With that said it is situational. Half the armies either don't have psychic powers to cancel or the ones they do have aren't worth worrying about. But I have to say, if you can easily fit a way to negate them into your list, go for it! Some powers out there are nasty and you'll be glad you had it.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:01   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Zenai, there is perhaps a little too much bad language in your post. Please keep an eye on that, okay?

I have never had much issue with Psykers in 40K... aside from a few moronic powers like Lash, most are just a gun you need to pass a Ld test to fire.

I do agree entirely that Magic in Fantasy is another kettle of fish entirely; one of my biggest hatreds of Fantasy is that I need to waste two Hero slots and a massive amount of points on two Wizards purely to protect my army from hostile magic. If Magic worked like Psychic Powers do in 40K, I could just spend the points on my units and not worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote